Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Opened up QUASAR's S60 today and found,

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
I had Strange build my S60 and I have had no issues what so ever... It is quiet and works flawlessly...

But then again, I actually bought it directly from Strange... As far as I can tell all the people having issues with thiers are part of group purchases, or having the rears setup elsewhere...

Also Scott, I think it is obvious that you like to blame someone else for your problems... No attack, just pointing out the obvious as YOU setup the rear and have had negative things to say about the S60 from day one (remember how you complained about the ABS ring when you yourself didn't buy Stranges and tried a 'standard' one, ie YOUR fault)... Now you blame the casting for being soft, yeah right...

It is obvious you make more moeny on 9" rears, and you only have one supplier for S60 stuff, so there is no way for you to get a reduced price on anything but the universally applicable diffs and gears... I just find it far to convenient when you start throwing blame around... It is more than likely an assembly issue than a 'soft part'...

Kyle, I know yours was part of the Speed Inc GP, so contact Speed Inc and see if they will do anything about it... One of the major reason I steer away from GPs on things like this as since I bought mine straight from Strange, if I have an issue I can go directly to them... And again, mine has been dead quiet since the get-go...
Do you build rears for a living?If not how do you know he isnt correct ? Just becosue you have yours and it is quiet does that mean all from strange is going to be the same ? I cant stand when some sees something in there findings and them some one jumps on them for posting it .
Old 09-16-2006, 12:03 PM
10 Second Club

Yea from what I read Scott has very few complants!
Old 09-16-2006, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

ive been waiting 4 weeks for my s60 from strange..........still havent got a call
Old 09-16-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Strange build my S60 and I have had no issues what so ever... It is quiet and works flawlessly...

But then again, I actually bought it directly from Strange... As far as I can tell all the people having issues with thiers are part of group purchases, or having the rears setup elsewhere...

Also Scott, I think it is obvious that you like to blame someone else for your problems... No attack, just pointing out the obvious as YOU setup the rear and have had negative things to say about the S60 from day one (remember how you complained about the ABS ring when you yourself didn't buy Stranges and tried a 'standard' one, ie YOUR fault)... Now you blame the casting for being soft, yeah right...

It is obvious you make more moeny on 9" rears, and you only have one supplier for S60 stuff, so there is no way for you to get a reduced price on anything but the universally applicable diffs and gears... I just find it far to convenient when you start throwing blame around... It is more than likely an assembly issue than a 'soft part'...

Kyle, I know yours was part of the Speed Inc GP, so contact Speed Inc and see if they will do anything about it... One of the major reason I steer away from GPs on things like this as since I bought mine straight from Strange, if I have an issue I can go directly to them... And again, mine has been dead quiet since the get-go...
I don't know you and I don't know Scott, but here is the thing. I have been on this board for over a year and I read almost every thread that comes across, and I have never, ever seen ANYONE have a single bad thing to say about Scott. From everything I have heard, when it comes to rearends, therre is no one better. For you to extrapolate that he is blaming his problems on someone else is ludicrous. Scott was very excited this rearend was coming out because it would give us an additional choice, because frankly both choices we have are not perfect. I believe he just wanted to warn us about possible problems with the unit. If he set the diff. up and it had problems, the first thing I would think was the casting itself had problems.

Scott, when I get to the point of needing a rearend, rest assured I will be calling no-one but you for a custom built 9" Have a nice day.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:27 AM
12 Second Club

^

I know Scott will get my business in the near future. Ive been ready to buy a couple times now and had things come up and had to wait... as soon as the time comes I will go with DLS.

Now the question is.. 9" or S60? Ill lose my ABS with the 9".
Old 09-17-2006, 11:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yes you are right, I am not a dealer for Strange but I am a dealer for someone else that supplies me with the same housing for less than Strange. I use Moser axles since it only takes 3 days to get them and not 2-3 weeks. I complained about the 3 chanel ABS set up from Strange since they were not smart enough to take something that was aready being produced by Dana and incorporate it into their design.
I am not a metalurgist and I'm not going to waste my time doing something Strange and Moser should have done before hand to ensure top quality in their product. I know where they get their casting from and I have talked to a few people in the industry that have the same complaint.
I mark up my assemblies at the same percentage so no I don't make more on my 9 inch asemblies. I even have package deals that I do not charge extra if the customer is willing to press on their own backing plates and assemble it with just my instructions.

I'm not going to go through my whole life store just to prove you wrong so go out and start assembling axles everyday, you see the same issues I see.

Last edited by Scott@DrivelineSolutions; 09-17-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I have stored pictures of QUASARS pattern in this PC and I should have taken a few moments to take a few pics after we opened it up. I'll even share them with you and let John comment on what we found. One thing is for sure, it's a good thing that I let john see the whole process since he can back up all of this 100%.

Can you do better?

Old 09-19-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now you blame the casting for being soft, yeah right...
I was standing right there when scott first set it up on the bench, added paint to the gearset, then ran the pattern. He spent a couple hours getting it better, and then took those pics.

I was also there 4 months later when he ran the pattern again, and it didn't look quite the same. Plain and simple.

I'm glad yours is quiet. Are you saying that there is no one with a Strange built Dana 60 that has any noise? I doubt it.

Scott has built me many 10 bolts (remember those days Scott ) and everyone was dead quiet untill I shattered them. I am a believer that its a combination of things that leads to gear noise not just the installation.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Scott, there's gotta be a college student or lab worker on this site somewhere that could take a look at that metal. If you could provide a sample from a diff housing that's not "soft" and one that is... you could find out for sure pretty easily.

It sounds like a lot of effort but if someone chimed in it'd basically be the hassle of getting the samples and shipping them off to someone.

I would have done it in college, hell, my metallurgy prof would have loved it.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:57 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I'll look into getting a sample for testing, but what would we do if we did find something?
Old 09-20-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, at least you would know. I'm not an expert in this area but if you suspect a product has a standing design flaw like that, you could start making a different recommendation for one that doesn't.

My car will probably always see boneyard 10 bolts should I ever have one blow up on me... but if I was dumping 2-3k or whatever on a rear I'd definitely want to avoid problems like this.

It'd just be frustrating to all hell to do the right thing going to a 12" or 9 bolt and then blow that up too. I can't imagine those customers being fun to deal with.

I just wanted to point out it was feasible, there's got to be an engineering student on these forums that would jump at the chance to check it out.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

From what I understand (which is not much here), every single one of our options has its own issues, and any person could list issues that are good enough not to use any of them. You have to find what is least bad for you, not what it is perfect.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

IMO the only down side of a Ford 9 inch is that the 3 chanel ABS system will not carry over.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scott@DrivelineSolutions
IMO the only down side of a Ford 9 inch is that the 3 chanel ABS system will not carry over.
And that's not even a big deal...i hate ABS in the first place

Scott, my 9" is still taking an asswhoop'n and keeps coming back for more!
Old 09-20-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

A 3% efficiency drop, IMO, is a big deal. Lack of 3-channel ABS is also a deal-killer to me (I understand that it isn't to many of you though) and I don't like the idea of having to BFH anything on my car.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

One thing for sure, is that Dragon will know exactly what is right for everybody.

Just listen to what he says because there's no point in disagreeing. He seems to be an expert about everything.

-edit- the above comment is inappropriate, and should not be here. I'm not deleting it because I hate it when threads don't make sense after deletions.

Last edited by todddchi; 09-21-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

IMO means in my opinion. When did I say you guys shouldn't use a 9"? In fact, did I not admit that I don't know much about this subject a couple of posts ago?
Old 09-20-2006, 11:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok, explain to me why one of my local customers dropped .30 of a second when we took out his 10 bolt with a 4.10 and put in a 4.11 9 inch assembly?!

3% of rotational driveline loss doesn't constitute a .30 drop in ET and the same MPH. Just stating an acutal fact from my own experiences. This statement was not made to insult anyone.

Last edited by Scott@DrivelineSolutions; 09-21-2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

Scott, I can run a rockwell hardness test on it. We have the tester here at school.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

TTT, anymore more new info on the 60's???