Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Anyone ever used Redline Shockproof in a 10 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone ever used Redline Shockproof in a 10 bolt?

Heavy shockproof 70-250 weight? Looks like pepto?

If you have, I just want to make sure the rear isnt going to overheat due to the extra goodness of the oil.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have and it is great stuff. I have Road Raced, Auto X and Drag Race the car have not had a problem.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

What is it and can you use it for DD?
Old 10-07-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would only use the 75-140ns or 80-140..... other than that its a little too thin and needs to be changed more often.

Years ago in the Corvette Challenge Series, we used it.... really only due to the fact that we were sponsered by RL but we found that we had to change it about every three to four races. Their best stuff is their powersteering fluid, MTL and their assembly lube.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

I didnt even run 85 140 at Martinsville with a 6.50 gear.. all this stuff seems like extreme over kill on the street..
Old 10-08-2006, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Redline gear oil in my 10 bolt years ago and started getting one wheel burn outs. I only use dino 80/90 now.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
I didnt even run 85 140 at Martinsville with a 6.50 gear.. all this stuff seems like extreme over kill on the street..

Not surprised at all.... considering the use of a differential pump and cooler. But then again, no one here is changing their differential oil every 500 miles either.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Even with the pump and cooler I would still see temps that are much higher than on the street..I think people get the idea that thicker is better and thats not really the case... I have even run 18wt gear lube and had great sucess with it but thats another story all in its own..
Old 10-08-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt want to project that thicker is definately better as a selling point... but it is a fact, that there are so many oil products on the market that just dont cut it for real performance use.

Thermal stability and film pressure strength are the key elements in a differential lubericant. Most of what people buy off the shelf is a joke unless it is a specialty lube from Torco, Schaffer, LE, Amsoil and the like..... in the thinner weights. Thicker lube in most related cases will yield a film pressure strength increase and it is inherently more resistant to thermal saturation where the base oil and its additives stay homogenized.

I hear you on the ultra light weights.... I have had the privelage to work with some land speed record cats that have formulated their own oils (some successful and some not) just to squeeze a few mph out of them.... at some ridiculously low viscosities.... but they were not worried about 'impact loading' which is the most predominant root cause of failure, in street use, considering differential oils.

In a street based chassis, the only thing one would have to pay attention to would be the cold flow of the heavy weights. I dont recommend multi-vis oils at all, for the most part and dont run anything over a 90wt in colder climates and front differentials. Now as for Las Vegas heat..... and some other elevated temperature climates I have build differentials for..... I have had unquestionable success with a specific straight weight 140. And in the Trophy Truck (and even in some street) differentials, I have even used an ISO9000 straight 250wt.

If more people ran TC's in their questioned fluids..... they could find all this out for themselves. But then again, being an instrumentation geek and a drivetrain guy, I cant leave well enough alone...

Quick Reply: Anyone ever used Redline Shockproof in a 10 bolt?