Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

HELP!!!! MOSER 12 install now a BAD vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! MOSER 12 install now a BAD vibration

ok, i blew my stock 10bolt out and had installed a moser 12 with a true track diff and 3.42 gears about a week ago. then today i was driving around and i heard a "CLUNK" the the car started vibrating from about 10mph to 45, i havent gone faster im kinda scared. some one please help. oh car also has gear whine at 45-70mph but ive heard the mosers do that. I NEED HELP QUICKLY
Old 10-06-2006, 11:58 PM
12 Second Club

Not sure about the clunking, hopefully just a bolt is loose or something.

Monitor the whining, how was it broken in after installation? When my bro's SS Moser 12 bolt wasnt broken in corretly the whining grew progressively worse as each day passed until it shot out a real nasty annoying whine and ultimately had to be replaced. But a consistent somewhat high pitched whine is completely normal at least for 4.10 gearing.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check your u-joints and torque arm mounting points.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Teching In

as for breakin in the rear, it was on a lift and i ran it in forward and reverse for a couple of minutes, it might not have been long enough tho, it was really late. it seems to whine from 45-70 getting for around 60 but then seems to go away. if it is not broken in properly, is there anything i can do or what would have to be replaced. As for the BAD shackin/vibration im taking it to the shop that installed it today, so maybe i can shed some light on this
Old 10-07-2006, 08:34 AM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the angle on the torque arm. Too much pinion angle will do that. Also check to make sure your rear u-joint is install deep into the yoke on both sides. It sounds like it may be cocked and not seated properly. Good luck and keep us updated!
Old 10-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Teching In

wut should the angle be, and how would have it changed, it drove fine when we first put it in. what do you think the chances of something in the rear making this vibration, i will be very angry if it is the brand new rear i put in goin bad
Old 10-07-2006, 10:19 AM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be shocked if the new rear was bad. I would bet it's the driveshaft. Yo could try unbolting the rear unbolts and rotate the DS 180 and resinstall it making sure it seats properly.

To check the pinion angle, put an angle finder on the flat part of the bottom of the torque arm where it bolts to the rear housing. it should be close to -2 degrees, meaning the yoke should be pointing down towards the ground 2*. That will tell you if it's way off. If you didn't install an adjustable TA then it's likely very close.

Make sure the drive shaft isn't bottomed out in the tail housing of the tranny also.

Keep us updated.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Well all i have to say is USE LOC TIGHT. wut happend was 1 of the top torque arm bolts came loose and fell out, and the other bolt couldnt hold it and ripped threw the torque arm. that was the clunk i heard. so all that was holdin the rear on was the 2 bottom bolts and it was tiltin backwards putting my pinion angle out causing my vibration. and i got real lucky cause i found a guy that traded me for my trashed 1o bolt for a stock torque arm, so i had it fixed quik. feels good to be rippin them gears again. thanks everyone for their imput

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! MOSER 12 install now a BAD vibration