Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana
View Poll Results: Are you happy with your moser 9 inch?
I am happy with my moser 9 inch.
72.37%
I am not happy its too noisy,broke or poor quality.
27.63%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Are you happy with your moser 9 inch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 274 Likes on 104 Posts

Default Moser 9"

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
79.03% happy with their Moser is pretty darn good, as more people tend to speak up if they are not happy with something. A rear is something that takes a real beating too! Bob

You are kidding right.....this should be an eye opener.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:53 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by helicoil
You are kidding right.....this should be an eye opener.
No, I am not kidding. I have sold many, many 9 inch rears to people who have never had a problem out of them. It is a shame that you did. Bob
Old 02-17-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Moser housing on the way and I decided to source out my center section to be set-up local. Seems that most of the problems are due to a poor gear set-up by "whoever" at Moser.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Teching In

My son has a 9" in his race 598" Chevelle and it has always performed real well. He has a local Ford Mechanic set the gears up and all have been perfect. No noise or breakage. This thing will really test a set of gears as it has run as fast as 8.23 @ 168.70 and up till now has had street gears in it. It is footbraked and has a spool.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Teching In

I've used Moser stuff for several years with no problems. Seems like they're getting beat up lately over ring & pinions. I've installed several in my career and i've run across several lately that were impossible to get a "perfect" pattern. Most gears come from overseas now the Chineese gears seem to be really bad. the Italian gears seem to set up pretty well. i've also found that some ratios set up better than others. I do believe that most of the gear problems that guys complain about is caused by mis application. M6 trans, 500 HP, drag radials and then they dump the clutch at 4500 rpm and they bought a "street" gear to save money. Go figure.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great thread. I need to replace my 10 bolt with something more durable. The Moser 9" seems to be the best option out there, however it is still discouraging that so many people are having problems with the ring and pinion setup.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:46 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Great thread. I need to replace my 10 bolt with something more durable. The Moser 9" seems to be the best option out there, however it is still discouraging that so many people are having problems with the ring and pinion setup.
I would have to think that with Moser taking two days for a rear to be ready to ship, where Strange takes three to four weeks, means that there are a heck of a lot more Moser rears being sold. With more product out there, you're going to hear of some problems. All in all, with all the Moser 9 inch rears I have sold, I have had very few with noise problems. Bob
Old 02-22-2008, 07:06 AM
Teching In

Midnight 02, if you'll notice (I've been a long time reader but just started posting) that it's actually just a few that have had problems and it's been with gears. When you order make sure the ratio that you use is noted to be quiet. some make more noise than others. 12 bolt 3.73's are the worst. there are several gear suppliers out there, make sure you choose a quality gear. when you get your parts from either Strange or Moser look at the gear pattern when you get it. they leave the marking compound on the gear so that you can see the pattern. Refer to the series of gear, it's stamped on the ring and go to the manufacturer's web site and look at their reccomended pattern for that gear set. One thing to remember that there are different reccomended patterns for each series of gears! I get a kick out of guys that say they check their pattern after they've already damaged the gear! if need be, take digital pictures before you run it and keep them on file. I do believe this poll is slanted, i've found that the happy customer usually won't comment where the dissatisfied customer will tell the world no matter who's at fault.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:37 PM
roy
TECH Resident

The only problem I am having with the Moser 9 inch rear is the ball bearing design axle bearings. I go through two sets a year from autocross and roadcourse duty.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Launching!

The only problem I am having with my Moser 9" with about 1000 street driven mild miles is it has whined since day one
Old 03-16-2008, 04:40 PM

Default Are you kidding me?

I read this and laugh. So 79.??% are happy with there center sections, there still should do something for the 20% that have had problems since day one! 20% is enough to know that you have a quality control problem coming out of the factory...
The following users liked this post:
Coy (03-02-2021)
Old 03-16-2008, 05:13 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by TJ_FARMER
I read this and laugh. So 79.??% are happy with there center sections, there still should do something for the 20% that have had problems since day one! 20% is enough to know that you have a quality control problem coming out of the factory...
Awesome first post, but a little sarcastic. Who do you work for, Strange? Bob
Old 03-17-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got my moser 9" installed on my H/C car, and I am thouroughly displeased with the gear noise. It makes cruizing damn near not tolerable. I mean, I have 3" TD with 12" bullets on there and it whines louder than that. I have to turn my system up full notch to drown it out. Exoctic performance plus, what is your suggestion? Is there an easy fix. (BTW, exotic did not do the install, just asking since they seem to be advocates of this particular rear.)
Old 03-17-2008, 07:19 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by landonew
I just got my moser 9" installed on my H/C car, and I am thouroughly displeased with the gear noise. It makes cruizing damn near not tolerable. I mean, I have 3" TD with 12" bullets on there and it whines louder than that. I have to turn my system up full notch to drown it out. Exotic performance plus, what is your suggestion? Is there an easy fix. (BTW, exotic did not do the install, just asking since they seem to be advocates of this particular rear.)
I would contact who you purchased it from and have them get in contact with Moser. On cases that are very loud, and your sounds like one of them, they will most likely want you to send the center section back in for them to check it out. The other alternative is to have someone replace the gears for you.

Once a new set of gears have been broken in, it is usually too late to try to adjust them for a better pattern to get them quiet. Bob
Old 03-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Launching!

I would not be happy if I owned a company that 2 out of 10 of the finished products I sell sucks and still makes it to market.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:07 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by v8juice
I would not be happy if I owned a company that 2 out of 10 of the finished products I sell sucks and still makes it to market.
I can assure you that most of the people who buy rears from me do not have problems with them, which leads me to believe that this survey is not accurate. How could it not be accurate you ask? It is very typical for people who have a problem with something are going to be much more vocal than those who do not have a problem. I have sold hundreds of these rears, and I'm sure that most of these customers don't even check into this section of the forum anymore, as there is no reason for them to. Bob
Old 03-19-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by v8juice
If you put any faith in the accuaracy of online polls, you need help. The Moser 9" has been proven to be a great setup for these vehicles. Sometimes things go wrong - no product comes out with a 100% satisfaction rating, but I highly doubt that Moser would still be doing this much business if this was their satisfaction rate.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I highly doubt that everyone that has ever bought a Moser 9" is posting on that poll.

PS - Bob, you'll probably hear from me at some point this spring/summer/fall, money permitting. A 3.89 gear Moser 9" is looking pretty nice for my car, the more I think about it.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it could also be possible that f body owners will dismiss rear end noise because we have other things making noise already and learn to deal with it. someone dropping $2500-3000 on something that can't be refunded may also tend to rationalize their purchase.
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (12-20-2023)
Old 03-19-2008, 06:20 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Z Fury
If you put any faith in the accuaracy of online polls, you need help. The Moser 9" has been proven to be a great setup for these vehicles. Sometimes things go wrong - no product comes out with a 100% satisfaction rating, but I highly doubt that Moser would still be doing this much business if this was their satisfaction rate.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I highly doubt that everyone that has ever bought a Moser 9" is posting on that poll.

PS - Bob, you'll probably hear from me at some point this spring/summer/fall, money permitting. A 3.89 gear Moser 9" is looking pretty nice for my car, the more I think about it.
Sounds good, thanks! Bob
Old 03-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Launching!

I wonder how many people that do not read this forum have had a problem? We can sit here and argue odds and polls till the cows come home. There seems to be a fair number of people, just on this site alone, that have had a common problem. Excessive whine from a Moser. Would you agree?

Quick Reply: Are you happy with your moser 9 inch?