Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana
View Poll Results: Are you happy with your moser 9 inch?
I am happy with my moser 9 inch.
72.37%
I am not happy its too noisy,broke or poor quality.
27.63%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Are you happy with your moser 9 inch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
We've installed Moser 9 inch rears on lowered cars, you just need to add a little clearance with a pry bar once you have the rear in place. It doesn't take much to do this, and you won't see where you have done this from inside the car. Bob
Can it be done with the rear end in the car?
Old 06-22-2008, 05:53 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Grn4fbody
Can it be done with the rear end in the car?
Yes, that is how we do it. Bob
Old 07-14-2008, 11:21 AM
10 Second Club

The standard studs are peices of ****.

I bought the housing and axles from from moser and peiced together the parts I wanted in my center section. Mine works great, super quiet, except for that hard locker ti he, and its took everything I've thrown at it so far. The housing and axles are definatly nice pieces.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I know that this has died off bit but I'm curious about T/A to floor pan issues. I've heard of that being an issue with some 9" rears and I don't want the T/A thumping the floor all of the time.

Bob, would it be a good idea to just yank the center section upon a rival and check the gear setup before it's ever ran. I'm not afraid to set up the rear on my own.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:47 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Depending on how low you are will determine how much the torque arm on a Moser will clearance your floor pan area. If you clearance it properly then there is no issues.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

i was very happy with mine, and im going to ditch the 4.11's for some 4.56's this time around.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:01 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28
I know that this has died off bit but I'm curious about T/A to floor pan issues. I've heard of that being an issue with some 9" rears and I don't want the T/A thumping the floor all of the time.

Bob, would it be a good idea to just yank the center section upon a rival and check the gear setup before it's ever ran. I'm not afraid to set up the rear on my own.
The center section comes assembled and in a plastic carrying case. You can certainly check the gear pattern at this time if you choose to do so. Thanks. Bob
Old 07-20-2008, 09:44 AM
9 Second Club

i am pleased with mine. no noise and an easy install.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i ran into so many install problems, my panhard didn't want to fit. my brake caliper bracket rubs off the rotor(had to grind the bracket down) and yes the bearing was pressed on all the way, it sqeaks/creeks going around bends, my bmr TA didn't fit the housing, it vibrates like sob. it hits the tunnel. i bought it because people say the 12 bolt has gear whine after u take it to the track one time but i would rather put up with a little gear whine after what i went through. now it's perfectly fine but i went through a alot of bs chaning half my suspension back to stock in order to get all the noises out of it.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

400 miles on mine now. Quite happy. Had the gears reset by Va Speed after hearing the probs w/ the factory install on some of the Moser set gears.

Pretty quiet, just a hint of whine at 45mph.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

for the few miles i got to drive mine i was happy. the install sucked. i am one of the lucky few that it fought with the whole way through. now it is giving me a hard time again. i will let ya'll know when i get it back on the road
Old 07-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Default Crush Sleeves / Solid Pinion Shims

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
love the rear but whoever sets up there gears should be shot
had to rebuild the center section after 12k miles and put in the SOLID pinion spacer unlike the crush sleeve that was in it

i had a post last year with pics and stuff about it

now its has a slight wine but same wine since it all went back together( i wanted it tight) also has alot more abuse since i rebuilt it
Just making sure your information is correct on this one...Moser Engineering has been using only "solid shims" in all 9" setups for more than 10 years. Also all of our 12-Bolts have been solid shim set-ups for over 4 years.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love my Moser 9 inch Should of bought one a long time ago LOL
Old 10-18-2008, 05:05 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1FASTBIRD
I love my Moser 9 inch Should of bought one a long time ago LOL
Thanks for the order, I appreciate it! Bob
Old 03-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Teching In

I just got mine in and it's every bit as loud as the 10 bolt that it replaced. Looks like I'll be tearing into it to change out the ring and pinion and set it up properly.

The install was gravy and I have no doubt it will hold up to whatever I throw at it. Lesson learned, if I ever get another one I am ordering the parts and assembling them myself.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Default not happy

My buddy bought a brand new rear complete from them and it was a piece of **** ,went to install it in his g-body and the pinion was almost hitting the floor .All the brackets were welded on wrong ,he called them they told him it was his fault wtf? they gave him **** service and alot of bull on what was wrong ,customer service SUCKS I was going to buy one for my fbody but after hearing his story I will stay FAR away from moser ,my money can be spent anywhere ,but customer service goes a long way in this day of tight money
Old 03-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Teching In

If I had it to do over I probably would go with a fabricated housing from a chassis shop like mwc. For what I have in my stamped housing, iron center, and the added cost of tearing it down to set it up properly, I could have a fabricated housing and aluminum center and be an easy 100lbs lighter.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

hate it right now because the gears are loud. Should have had a shop check the setup before I installed it. I'll be pulling it apart shortly
Old 03-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

I voted no. Three simple reasons really. The sway bar! Why should I have to make a cut into a thirty six hundred dollar part? Then they send a letter saying we know the problem exists, but screw you! The driveshaft length, again, they know they are short, againg, 3600 dollars, again, a big screw you to the customer. The third? I can't stop the damn thing from leaking!!!! They said rtv is required because the gear oil will seep thru the studs........ Again, screw you customer. The rear end is very nice though otherwise. I enjoy the Detroit locker for sure. I know there is going to be some homer who is going to reply about how I expect perfection, and welcome to the world of racing and that's fine. Its nice that you have all the money in the world to waste on poor quality of workmanship, I don't!
The following users liked this post:
TT427 (12-07-2020)

Quick Reply: Are you happy with your moser 9 inch?