Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Dana 60 Clunking on deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Dana 60 Clunking on deceleration

Ok I have a new Dana S60 from strange.. and I have some really LOUD and I mean LOUD noises

Noise: Banging or clunking while deceleration
I'm not sure what's going on with it...

If I let the car decelerat then it will make the noise then if I dive it gas again it sounds like it clunkes back in and then the noise goes away...

I also have..
Cyclic vibration that varies in intensity. Intensity increases during deceleration

Is the cause my Pinion angle being too low (not parallel with front yoke on driveshaft)????? (I'm going to take a look at that in the morning..)
Old 05-28-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Take a really good look over everything! Something could have been left a little loose. I have a Dana60 in my 2000ss and set the pinion angle at -4 degrees from the factory setting. I've went through all kind of pinion angle settings and found out if it is not set right with these rears they will be a pain in your ***! Mine now rides perfect and wouldn't trade it for anything. Quiter and stronger than my 12 bolt was!

Vibration. I bet you have the Strange driveshaft right? Get rid of that thing and get a good custom length aluminum drive shaft. My chromoly steel strange drive shaft made my car ride like a one wheeled wagon.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

man I did get the Chromoly drive shaft.. but the noise thats bugging me is that LOUD *** BUMPIN and CLUNKING... it sounds like theres a pice of metal in the rearend just getting beat to hell
Old 05-28-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

If its that bad then pull the cover and take a look inside.
Even if all is well you can then get some pics of your contact patch to see if its set up properly.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

Check if the axle is hitting the floorboard. It's pretty common. It's probably hitting in the tunnel below the rear seats. You'll see the marks.

You need to find where it's htting and dent it in further to avoid clunking. I used a shovel handle that was cut 3' long and hammered it from the other end.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I'll have my car up on the lift saturday so I'm going to check the pinion angle and try and see if anything is hitting but it really doesnt sound like anything is hitting... it sounds more like a u joint is going out or like there's metal chunks in the housing getting ground up..
Old 06-05-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any more info on this problem. I want to order a strange dana 60 . I thought the strange driveshafts would be fine. Do they just mabye need to be balanced ,local guy can do that. Woud have thought they would be already. Most guys seem to say they are quiet from the threads I have read. Clunking could be ujoints or mabye tranny hitting bottom of car. Do you have torque arm on trans still? And improper setup can easily make some bad noises and trash things in there pretty quick.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

I have a s60 in my car. The only noise that I have is my gears howl around 45-65 mph, not very loud but it is noticeable. I went with a PST driveshaft from Exotic Performance Plus. No vibrations what so ever. My car actually drives better now than it did before. I guess because of the 4.10 gears help with the cam. Hope you get it figured out.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I got the noise to stop! my friends bro came over the other day and we just kept messing with the pinion angle and got it to shut up a lot.. but I still have to make some more adjustments to it this weekend..

Quick Reply: Dana 60 Clunking on deceleration