Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Anyone use a Torsen T2R?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 05:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Anyone use a Torsen T2R?

Anyone familiar with the T2R? More specifically, does it alleviate any of the weaknesses of the stock 10-bolt units?

http://www.globalwest.net/torsen_traction_differential.htm
Old 12-03-2002, 08:00 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Anyone use a Torsen T2R?

JIm it loks like we are in the same boat. I am also researching the 10 bolt posi units. The best I can figure is that the T-2R and the SLP HD Torsen are the same unit. Tybrne has a special on all SLP products now which includes that piece @ $424.99 shipped. The next alternative is the Eaton posi unit which several sponsors carry , but I found a local Texas shop that sells them for $399.00. It's a toss up I guess. I shattered the posi gears in mine , but I also had major abuse applied to the stock Torsen to cause that failure. I think the 1.46 60 fts may have played a role also.lol. I just can't give in to a 12 bolt just yet. Keep me posted on your plans. I'm a bit curious. Thanks and here's a TTT for ya.

James
Old 12-05-2002, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The T2R and the SLP HD unit ARE NOT THE SAME. The T2r has a much higher bias ratio that keeps the wheels locked in tight turns and allow you to put the power down even when one wheel is unloaded. The SLP unit operates EXACTLY the same as the OEM torsen. Yes it is made a bit heavier, but it is not stronger. GM went to torsen and had them lighten and simplify the unit SLP was using in the SS cars for mass production. they both have the same torque capacity. the OEM unit was lightened in non critical areas.
The T2R is a different unit, it has a stronger case and it very tough. you can feel the difference even in everyday driving if the road is wet or sandy. Keep in mind that all torsens do not wear out like an Auburn or Eaton. If you push them past their limits they break. The clutch units just burn the clutch packs
I autox so I was not willing to give up a torsen to get a 12 bolt rear. So I built the strongest 10bolt I could. T2R, Superior forged axles, new bearings and a solid crush spacer and ARP hardened lugs. I feel that it will be the gears themselves that give up, not the diff or axles.

P.S. the SLP units that are being sold are at a discount because they are overstocked as there is no need to replace the OEM unit. their list price was 500 and SLP charged 999 for one in your SS. now they are on sale for 299, think about it.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have any aspirations of road racing or autox, the 10-bolt with a T2R is the way to go. Even with 400HP plus.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:59 PM

Will the T2R hold up to 1.4X short times on drag slicks and where is the most affordable place to get one? My stocker held quite well , but all good things come to an end. I am considering the Eaton and T2R as my replacement options. I am looking at street and a large amount of drag racing track time. TIA.

James
Old 12-11-2002, 09:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Who sells the T2-R units? The GlobalWest
page talks about them, but I can't find
any catalog entry for the F-body.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Re: Global - yeah, I'm confused on that as well.

I don't see them listed as a sponsor here, so send you a PM with a different reseller...

<small>[ December 11, 2002, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: JimMueller ]</small>
Old 12-12-2002, 10:22 AM

Well I did some more research and wwwRiederracing.com sells them. They are about the only people that do, so it is doubtful that any of our sponsors will be offended. I talked to a very knowledgable sales tech and he said that the T-2R is the ultimate for auto-X , but from a strength perspective, it is no stronger than the stock T2. He said the weak link inner gears are identical and although they are very strong for their application, they will not with stand the force that hard launch drag racing applies. He and many others in the GM differential field recommended the Eaton posi for drag applications due to their internal strength and ability to rebuild them. He said in most applications, the ring gear teeth would sheer off before the posi gears would fail. He also stated the obvious , which was..." you really ought to invest in a 12 bolt" and "wheel hop on a solid launch is capable of breaking everything inside a 10 bolt unit, but the Eaton will fail after the teeth shear or an axle snaps". I hope this helps out. Take care.

James

Quick Reply: Anyone use a Torsen T2R?