Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strengthening the stock 10-bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strengthening the stock 10-bolt

I have done a little research on this subject and found out that by supporting the rear end from flexing, it can substantially strengthen even a stock 10-bolt. I gathered up some parts and put it all together.

http://www.geocities.com/duragizer444/install.html

Most of the information I found was based off of another message board with people doing the same thing. One of the guys is running close to 500 hp launching on slicks and his rear is still holding together... Hopefully mine will stick together too

-Jeff
Old 09-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Teching In

The stock 10 bolt no matter what you do it will break. They are just a ticking time bomb I would just spend the money for a 12 blot or a 9in and call it a day. Imo
Old 09-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Teching In

nice thread though
Old 09-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Launching!

If you can prevent the movement of the gears so they maintain perfect contact at all times, even under full load, they can support MUCH more power before failure. When the case distorts and the gears start to seperate, the mesh pattern is now not there and the gears will fail.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Teching In

yes but it is still a 10 bolt it will break like i have said before. you can spend 700-800 on all of the parts that where in the thread, because you may not find what you need on tech or you could just spend a little more and buy a 12 bolt or a 9in not to insult you or any thing but is it worth the money in the long run when you have to replace the 10 bolt any ways.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/510589-when-will-my-10-bolt-break.html

How do I beef up my 10 bolt?

You don't.

It seems like too easy of an answer, but it holds true. The 10 bolt will always be limited by the fact that it is simply smaller than a 12 bolt, 9 inch, or Dana 60. Smaller = weaker.

Besides replacing the ring & pinion and bearings, adding aftermarket parts such as stronger axles only seems to be a waste of money. The minute you fix one thing, another will break. Rear end installs can be costly if you are not doing the labor yourself - it adds up quick. Don't be the guy who says he can't afford a 12 bolt, but has spent $1500 dumping money into his 10 bolt.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have this discussion at least 2x a week.

Do what you want, but personally I am not going to put a dime into something that "might" work.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Launching!

I am by no means saying this is equilivent to a 9" or 12 bolt, and if i had the 2400 bucks to dump on one, then i most certintly would. But for people like me, who dont have a lot of cash, and do not drag their cars on a regular basis, this is a great solution for a street car. Dont come into the thread and mock everything you see just because you think its a stupid idea. I am sure there are plenty of people who would prefer to spend a couple hunderd dollars on the stock one to keep it stong enough as opposed to getting a 9" or 12" which may be overkill in situations such as mine.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Save the money on a cover and spend it on another spare ring and pinion set.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Junkie

There are times that I wonder about the responses from forum members, some of whom I have some respect for.
The poster did not ask for your opinion on whether this was a cost effective solution versus a 12 bolt; he did not ask you whether you thought it was an equivalent strength rear end.
He merely offered an idea to strengthen what is a known weakness of the fbody drivetrain.
It appears to me to address some of the issues of the 10 bolt.
Would I do it? That is irrelavant.
Is it worth the money? That is irrelavant.
Would I save my money for a 12 bolt instead? That is irrelavant.
Would it strengthen the 10 bolt? Probably.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your only chance of making it strong is to go with a aftermarketspool and axels
Old 09-10-2007, 02:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
your only chance of making it strong is to go with a aftermarketspool and axels
your still dealing with a 7.5 ring gear.

I think people should try different things. Innovation is a good thing.
I tried all the known tricks to make a 10 bolt live and I ended up with a Strange 12 bolt.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

when mine broke the axel let go. The only way for a 10 bolt to last is to put it behind a auto trans. there is always a chance it will break.some people get lucky , some people dont. I don't think a 10 bolt stands a chance behind a stick drag car. I launch between 6400-6800 rpm and pull 1.4 60ft.'s my 10 bolt let go way back when it pulled 1.6 60ft.'s If you have a stick and go to the track with slicks it's a waste of time and money
Old 09-10-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

02SOMWS6, I think that is pretty well a given. Personally, I wouldn't even put a 12 bolt behind an M6.
Perhaps we should state that this is limited solely to A4 transmisssions, which are known to be easier on the rear than the M6.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

"easier on a 7.5" and "stronger 7.5" are almost oxymoron's though.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
02SOMWS6, I think that is pretty well a given. Personally, I wouldn't even put a 12 bolt behind an M6.
Perhaps we should state that this is limited solely to A4 transmisssions, which are known to be easier on the rear than the M6.
is not equal to
Originally Posted by GrahamHill
"easier on a 7.5"
(sarcastic comment withheld)
Of course, that reminds me of an SS owner I know who blew out his stock rear with his M6, while I have been pushing 400hp for several years with my A4.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hazard2k
I am by no means saying this is equilivent to a 9" or 12 bolt, and if i had the 2400 bucks to dump on one, then i most certintly would. But for people like me, who dont have a lot of cash, and do not drag their cars on a regular basis, this is a great solution for a street car. Dont come into the thread and mock everything you see just because you think its a stupid idea. I am sure there are plenty of people who would prefer to spend a couple hunderd dollars on the stock one to keep it stong enough as opposed to getting a 9" or 12" which may be overkill in situations such as mine.
I am mocking no one, just offering my 2 cents as you have offered yours. The problem with the 10 bolt is that once you fix one thing, something else is going to break. You don't have to be dragging your car to break things in a 10 bolt, they go kaput on the street too. You can take my advice or leave it, but I am speaking as someone who has been there, done that, and seen the constant failure of the 10 bolt. If its working fine right now, let a sleeping dog lie.

You don't have to tell me about being young and not having money, because I have been there too. However after being under countless cars I made the decision to not build my 10 bolt in previous cars, except for the ring & pinion to change ratio. $2400 is a lot of money when you shell it out all at once. It however is not a lot of money when you actually save up for it, a little bit at a time. All of these folks with sports cars that magically have money for the car itself, exorbitant insurance rates, go-fast mods, but it seems that everyone is broke when it comes to the rear end. And of course they are, buying a rear is no fun, it doesn't make you any faster (unless you change ratio) however it's one of the best things you can buy as far as longevity goes.

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
There are times that I wonder about the responses from forum members, some of whom I have some respect for.
The poster did not ask for your opinion on whether this was a cost effective solution versus a 12 bolt; he did not ask you whether you thought it was an equivalent strength rear end.
He merely offered an idea to strengthen what is a known weakness of the fbody drivetrain.
Unfortunately this is a public message board, and you are going to get feedback whether you ask for it or not, good and bad. If you are too thin skinned to withstand other people's opinions, the internet is not for you. This is a discussion on rear ends, not girl-feelings

The 'known weakness' of the f-body drivetrain is the entire rear end. That's all I am ever trying to say. You put in $500 here, $500 there, and you are still breaking stuff...and in the end you say, I should have just set aside some cash for a rear end and bought that in the first place. I would never try to steer someone in the wrong direction...we're all f-bod enthusiasts here that can learn from each others experiences.

I have had good luck with my 10 bolts. I took my last Z28 down the track almost 250 passes before it finally gave out, and that was an M6 car. But yet I still don't advocate spending any money on it because for every one person that has one that lasts, there are 50 who break theirs going down the street.

keliente out

Last edited by keliente; 09-10-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by revtime
your still dealing with a 7.5 ring gear.

I think people should try different things. Innovation is a good thing.
I tried all the known tricks to make a 10 bolt live and I ended up with a Strange 12 bolt.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by keliente
....This is a discussion on rear ends, not girl-feelings

Now THAT's funny.
Thanks for bringing me back down to reality, k.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by keliente
Unfortunately this is a public message board, and you are going to get feedback whether you ask for it or not, good and bad. If you are too thin skinned to withstand other people's opinions, the internet is not for you. This is a discussion on rear ends, not girl-feelings
Old 09-16-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ummm... A good fresh rear end thread.

Last edited by bearcatt; 09-16-2007 at 04:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Strengthening the stock 10-bolt