Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Midwest Chassis fabricated 9 inch

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if this rear end has less clearance than the standard Moser 9" for lowered cars? I guess the only area it might be less is near the gas tank. My car is lowered about 1.5-2", and I currently don't have any clearance problems with my Moser 9" (except the TA mount that we had to cut the floor of the car up to clear!).

Eric-(I thought I'd ask this question in this thread because I have already asked you so many questions through PM's)
Old 10-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Default incredible...

This rear end looks absolutely incredible. I have a few questions though as i am currently in the market for an upgraded rear end.

I dont have a 4th gen, in fact i have a 3rd gen. Although the rears of the cars are essentially (not the body work, but the rear frame/floor/mounting/suspension, etc.) the front is not. I notice one of the pictures you posted earlier in the thread looked like a 3rd gen, as the front frame rails tucked in towards the trans. tunnel instead of towards the rocker panels like on 4th gens.

Anyways, my question is more so related to the cross-member & torque arm setup, and more so, do/can you offer a cross-member for a 3rd gen F-Body thats had a 93-97 LT1 style T56 swapped into the car and a torque arm setup that will work with your rear-end?

I purchased an adjustable Spohn torque arm thats supposed to mount to a spohn crossmember w/ a rod end-link on the crossmember side, but this torque arm only works on stock style rear ends from my understanding...

Anyways, PM me a price of the rear end regardless. I dont want a spool, but i want a good posi in there. 35 spline axles, 4.11 gears, and a good posi. Ive got a stock 93-97 style 10-bolt in my car right now, so i will carry over those backing plates and brakes onto my car, but i DONT need/care about 3 or 4 channel ABS/TC as i dont have them on my car.

This car will be driven a lot, its my daily driver every day until the snow comes, and i will be autocrossing the car during the summer and going to the drag strip maybe once a month.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd be interested in one of these rears for a 3rd gen also....with a true-trac and 4.10 gears.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GrnDragon
Does anyone know if this rear end has less clearance than the standard Moser 9" for lowered cars? I guess the only area it might be less is near the gas tank. My car is lowered about 1.5-2", and I currently don't have any clearance problems with my Moser 9" (except the TA mount that we had to cut the floor of the car up to clear!).

Eric-(I thought I'd ask this question in this thread because I have already asked you so many questions through PM's)
I too would really like to have some ground clearance specs and photos.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you'd have to have the car lowered more than two inches and hit a big bump to even get close. the upper t/a mount will be the closest thing and would hit at about the same time the back would with the gas tank. if you retain the stock bump stops, there wont be any problems.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Z28 MeTaL HeAd
This rear end looks absolutely incredible. I have a few questions though as i am currently in the market for an upgraded rear end.

I dont have a 4th gen, in fact i have a 3rd gen. Although the rears of the cars are essentially (not the body work, but the rear frame/floor/mounting/suspension, etc.) the front is not. I notice one of the pictures you posted earlier in the thread looked like a 3rd gen, as the front frame rails tucked in towards the trans. tunnel instead of towards the rocker panels like on 4th gens.

Anyways, my question is more so related to the cross-member & torque arm setup, and more so, do/can you offer a cross-member for a 3rd gen F-Body thats had a 93-97 LT1 style T56 swapped into the car and a torque arm setup that will work with your rear-end?

I purchased an adjustable Spohn torque arm thats supposed to mount to a spohn crossmember w/ a rod end-link on the crossmember side, but this torque arm only works on stock style rear ends from my understanding...

Anyways, PM me a price of the rear end regardless. I dont want a spool, but i want a good posi in there. 35 spline axles, 4.11 gears, and a good posi. Ive got a stock 93-97 style 10-bolt in my car right now, so i will carry over those backing plates and brakes onto my car, but i DONT need/care about 3 or 4 channel ABS/TC as i dont have them on my car.

This car will be driven a lot, its my daily driver every day until the snow comes, and i will be autocrossing the car during the summer and going to the drag strip maybe once a month.
i can build anything custom, if you have the patience. i'll have to find one and get it in for some measurements, then i will build one for you.

yes, that pic was a 3rd gen. car that we did a custom setup on. the rears and t/a's are virtually the same, but theres a big difference in the crossmembers up front. i do not currently have a production crossmember for the 3rd gen cars, but i will have soon. the market is much larger for the 4th gen cars, and i have to get that stocked up first.

3rd gen guys.... be patient... its coming!
Old 10-30-2007, 12:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ssvert99
i can build anything custom, if you have the patience. i'll have to find one and get it in for some measurements, then i will build one for you.

yes, that pic was a 3rd gen. car that we did a custom setup on. the rears and t/a's are virtually the same, but theres a big difference in the crossmembers up front. i do not currently have a production crossmember for the 3rd gen cars, but i will have soon. the market is much larger for the 4th gen cars, and i have to get that stocked up first.

3rd gen guys.... be patient... its coming!
I have all the patients in the world, especially now that winter is pretty much here

Either way, let me know on a price for your complete 9" rear end, 4.11 gears, standard style torque arm mount, 35 spline axles, longer wheel studs, tru-trac posi and aluminum center section. No ABS or TC is needed and id prefer the rear to be the same length as an oem 4th gen 10-bolt.

Thanks for responding BTW
Old 10-30-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any word on the weight of an assembled rear? i'm sorry to be confusing but i'm sure i'm not the only person that wants to know this.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:21 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

i weighed the housing that went in my car. it was a full length, back braced housing with the relocators welded on, a Strange aluminum case with a 31 spline truetrac, big bearing support, and a set of 31 spline axles with the backing plates/caliper mounts on. the torque arm was also bolted to the housing when i put it on the scale. the total weight was 146 pounds... the t/a by itself was 16, i believe. i have another one going in a car here in the next few days, and i'll weigh all the components individually. just a guess at this point, but i picked up a braced bare housing by itself yesterday and i'd be really suprised if it were over 50 pounds.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
i weighed the housing that went in my car. it was a full length, back braced housing with the relocators welded on, a Strange aluminum case with a 31 spline truetrac, big bearing support, and a set of 31 spline axles with the backing plates/caliper mounts on. the torque arm was also bolted to the housing when i put it on the scale. the total weight was 146 pounds... the t/a by itself was 16, i believe. i have another one going in a car here in the next few days, and i'll weigh all the components individually. just a guess at this point, but i picked up a braced bare housing by itself yesterday and i'd be really suprised if it were over 50 pounds.
Very good info to hear. I already talked to the wife & have a green light to buy a housing/axle/torque arm set-up from you no later than tax time. I can hardly wait.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

holy cow, isn't that lighter than a stock 10 bolt?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Eric is one nice guy to deal with. Awesome customer service, answered all my questions. Im definately ordering from him once hes ready.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Damn eric, i knew your **** would explode on the market. Lots of interest in these fab 9''. Now you just need some more help in the shop! Thanks for hooking me up already. For everyone wanting pics of the rear end in the car on the ground. I will try and get some up soon.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Eric please let us know when you get the stock TA plates cut and fitted. Can you also PM a quote for your TA setup.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

stock type mounted double adjustable torque arm, tunnel mounted trans crossmember w/ loop and adjustable pivot link package is 399.00. chromemoly construction and poly -bushed for no noise. all parts powdercoated.

the 9 inch torque arm/crossmember setup will be part of the fab rearend package.

i was at the laser cutter monday and was tweeking the design of the adapter bracket. its in a Pro-E program at this time. should have the prototype real soon, then its off to the races! lol
Old 10-31-2007, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

bump for a master chassis guy. I cant wait to get my car back
Old 10-31-2007, 09:24 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

thanks for being patient on this rearend deal! this is gonna be the first guy to have the new style built-in relocators and lightweight bracketry. will post some pics when its in there
Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

well you got another potential buyer here.... i'm really interested in the 3 channel 9". your work looks great! what gear ratios do you offer?
Old 11-01-2007, 08:41 AM
Launching!

Eric, what part do I need to install my rear brakes on your axles? This is a photo of a stock 10 bolts fitted with C6Z brakes. I already have the adapter plates (silver finish). Will they work with your rear? A picture of your axle end would help a lot.
Attached Thumbnails Midwest Chassis fabricated 9 inch-c5c6drumplateweb2.jpg   Midwest Chassis fabricated 9 inch-resized_c5c6drumconversiondiscweb2.jpg   Midwest Chassis fabricated 9 inch-resized_c5c6drumconversiondiscweb5.jpg  
Old 11-01-2007, 12:08 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
well you got another potential buyer here.... i'm really interested in the 3 channel 9". your work looks great! what gear ratios do you offer?

any standard ratios are available in these packages.

3.25, 3.50, 3.70, 3.90, 4.10, 4.30, 4.56 you get the picture... these a whole lot more than these, but these are gonna be the most common.

Quick Reply: Midwest Chassis fabricated 9 inch