Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

New Moser M9 rear with Moser torque arm!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 12:35 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up New Moser M9 rear with Moser torque arm!

Adding extreme horsepower to your F-Body setup? Needing some strength for your torque arm so you don’t rip the rear end apart at launch? Now you have a choice, the new Moser M9 Torque Arm Assembly. Moser Engineering has developed the strongest torque arm assembly on the planet.

Made from 4130 chrome-moly material the new M9 Torque Arm Assembly is able to withstand what ever a high-horsepower racer can throw at it. Patterned after the same style setup used in today’s Pro Mod cars, the Moser M9 Torque Arm Assembly is not intended for the daily driver, but is manufactured with the 10 second cars and faster in mind.

The Torque Arm is constructed with 1.25” o.d. 4130 chrome-moly, all joints and connections, including the 4130 chrome-moly threaded tube adapters are TIG welded.

The Moser M9 Torque Arm Assembly utilizes a unique sliding front mount that allows the torque arm to slide enabling the torque arm to move freely and not bind, which would impair the overall handling of the car. The front slider tube has a grease fitting which allows proper lubrication.

The rear torque arm itself mounts proprietarily to the M9 Housing via 3/16” thick mounting plates with two

The entire M9 F-Body Torque Arm Assembly utilizes existing mounting points, totally eliminating welding or additional fabrication.

The un-coated M9 F Body Housing and axle package for the F Body, comes with up to 35 spline axles, is $1,800.00 shipped. This includes the powdercoated Moser torque arm and crossbrace of your choice, depending on which transmission you have.
A backbrace is an optional $140.00

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1324
Link to this rear on my website.

Note that this does not include the third member, commonly called the center section.

The weight difference between the standard Moser 9 inch and the M9 is 42 lbs.

We ran a 1.29 60 ft time with this combination in my street legal '99 Z28 at the LSX Shootout.

Another new Moser M9 option. Lower control arm relocation brackets already welded to the housing assembly. $100.00. Bob

This car will be at the LSX Shootout and at the Moser booth at Sema this year. Come check out this new rear!
More info can be found here on this new Moser rear.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=12 Bob

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1324

Moser M9 with ABS

It is $175.00 and goes into the top of the housing just like the 10 bolt does. The rear will be machined for the ABS, and the sensor is included. Some assembly will be required, but it isn't hard to do.

Note that this will only be available for the Truetrac and the Locker.

Several people have been asking about the Moser torque arm that is supplied with this rear end. Below is Moser's reply. Bob

"The Moser Engineering torque arm was designed to gain maximum strength without sacrificing clearance either in the driveshaft tunnel or ground clearance. The lower tube has been offset to keep the lower rod end and pinion angle adjuster above the scrub line. The scrub line is the lower edge of the wheel. Most sanctioning bodies do not allow any suspension components below the scrub line. Since the average racing wheel measures 15” in diameter, that means there is only 7 ½” from the axle centerline to the scrub line or 1 ½” from the bottom of the housing to the scrub line. Murphy’s Law states that if you leave something hanging down from the bottom of a race car, sooner or later it’s going to get caught on something so the farther you stay away from the scrub line the better off you are.

Since the lower bar has a slight offset to allow for increased ground clearance we intersected the diagonals with the bends in the lower and upper bars. This along with double coping and increased tube diameters in the diagonals minimizes the chance for the torque arm to flex.

The torque arm only controls housing rotation. the instant center of the rear suspension can be changed by moving the forward torque arm heim up or down in the adjustable forward mount on the transmission crossmember.The lower control arms locate the housing and the anti roll bar controls body roll. Moser Engineering recommends using an aftermarket anti roll bar in any high performance application.

Moser Engineering does not recommend attaching any safety equipment to any suspension part. Welding a drive shaft loop to the torque arm or the torque arm crossmember is asking for trouble in the event of a driveshaft failure!

The Moser Engineering M9 housing has a 1/8” thick 1 piece rear section with a 3/8” face plate and screw in studs. The 1 piece design is superior to the 3 piece designs on the market which tend to fail on the vertical welds where the bells attach to the center piece. The ¼” face plates used by other manufacturers tend to bend out at the bottom caused by the center section trying to twist upward during acceleration. Even with internal gusseting inside the housing a ¼” thick face plate will eventually bend. Moser Engineering also uses thread in Grade 8 center section studs to ease replacement of the stud if it becomes damaged during the repeated removal & installation of the center section. Press in studs depends on the knurl creating small grooves in the face plate to keep the stud from turning during the removal and installation of the center section. If the stud needs to be replaced, usually the replacement stud will not hold properly due to the damage done by the original stud. Knurled studs do have their place; it’s just not in a race type application.

All Moser Engineering torque arms are “bolt in” packages designed for the racer that has a 10 second or faster car that wants to do the work himself. This package also allows the car to be returned to “stock” form if the racer ever decides to do so. With the “weld in” packages on the market that is not an option. The torque arm front mount is integrated into the transmission crossmember mount, the most likely mounting point because of the structural integrity of that part of the F-body platform. Many other manufacturers use the tunnel brace mounts to attach their forward mounts to, which are simply small pieces of sheet metal welded to the floor pan. They were never designed to handle any suspension forces.

Moser Engineering torque arms and crossmembers are made of 4130N chrome moly tubing. Unlike some other manufacturers who are using inferior materials to build their crossmembers with no regard to function or form, every part of the Moser Engineering assembly, from the hardware to the housing, is of the highest quality."

Last edited by Exotic Performance Plus; 10-03-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lookin badass!

now about the rear..... does it work with 3 channel??
Old 09-29-2007, 02:55 PM
10 Second Club

How Much For The Rear I Want One Do A Group Purchase On These
Old 09-29-2007, 04:27 PM
10 Second Club

Damn that looks beffy.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:18 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
lookin badass!

now about the rear..... does it work with 3 channel??
I don't know what options they will have yet, such as the 3 channel. I'll know more in the next couple of weeks as this is a brand new offering from Moser for our F Body cars. Bob
Old 09-30-2007, 05:20 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by ls1pwrdss
How Much For The Rear I Want One Do A Group Purchase On These
Pricing has not yet been determined, as you have to use the Moser torque arm with this rear, so it has to be factored in. Thanks for inquiring. Bob
Old 09-30-2007, 10:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Pricing has not yet been determined, as you have to use the Moser torque arm with this rear, so it has to be factored in. Thanks for inquiring. Bob
well let me know because im going to need a new rear soon and if you can make it worth my wile ill buy it from you
i like this alot better than the regular 9in
Old 09-30-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 10-01-2007, 12:57 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I almost got the M9 for my 3rd gen but when I talked to Moser they said I would have to use their torque arm so I backed out. I already have enough fabrication under my ride for a solid mounted TA.

Nice pics Bob, can't wait for my first install.

Last edited by Scott@DrivelineSolutions; 10-01-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:09 AM
Teching In

This is def going to have to go in my car.
Steve
Old 10-01-2007, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Talked To Moser Today And They Said It Probaly Wont Be Finalized Untill The End Of The Year And You Will Be Able To Run 4channel For Abs And Traction Control. Dammit I Want One
Old 10-01-2007, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1pwrdss
Talked To Moser Today And They Said It Probaly Wont Be Finalized Untill The End Of The Year And You Will Be Able To Run 4channel For Abs And Traction Control. Dammit I Want One

buuuut what about 3 channel?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
buuuut what about 3 channel?
it just like the regular 9 in you can only get 4 channel set up from what i was told.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I looked on moser's site, and it lists for the bolt in housings for F-bodies that there is not a housing available yet with a torque arm? They list a price for a no-torque arm housing for F-bodies... I'm kind of puzzled.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:08 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by Jon5212
I looked on moser's site, and it lists for the bolt in housings for F-bodies that there is not a housing available yet with a torque arm? They list a price for a no-torque arm housing for F-bodies... I'm kind of puzzled.
Moser currently offers this rear for the older leaf spring F Body cars, but the one in my '99 Z28 is a brand new deal from Moser that is not yet offered to the public. It will be available as soon as we know the torque arm and everything else works as well as it looks like it is going to.

Moser is even looking into the possibility of offering this rear with the lower control arm relocation brackets already installed, with several holes for adjusting the height of the lower control arms.
Moser is also looking into the possibility of offering all of their rears with brake backing plates already installed, and the rear coming complete, ready to add gear oil! This includes factory style clips for brake lines, etc.
Moser hired on last year a guy named Tim, who many in the NHRA ranks may know, who is going to be changing a lot of things for these rears. Bob
Old 10-02-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Would it really be that hard to switch our car to a 4 link setup?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Banned

still think moser need to do a dana 60 still rear end.
lol
Old 10-03-2007, 12:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
still think moser need to do a dana 60 still rear end.
lol
THERE IS A NEW 60 ON THERE SITE
Old 10-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Any idea what the housing weighs?

Last edited by JeffT; 02-14-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cant wait to see the finalized prices. My rear end is clunking and making all kinds of nasty vibrations and noises and Im pretty serious about going the 9" route. It might work out perfect for me b/c Im still rocking my stock torque arm too, and now would be the perfect time to upgrade. As long as its comparable in price to the normal one...only with the added price of a torque arm I will be cool with it. Mainly I am interested in the housing/axle package...not the whole deal.

Quick Reply: New Moser M9 rear with Moser torque arm!