Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Midwest Chassis & Performance fab rearends... new pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
if your car is lowered it should be a concern
Yeah, I've heard a few "thumps" coming from that area. I thought it was because Illinois apparently hasn't figured out how to pave a road though.
I'll have to get under there and have a look see.

Last edited by supernaturalta; 08-26-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

replied back
Old 08-22-2008, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i noticed yesterday my rear has begun to dent the gas tank on the driver side of the backside of the center section housing.

stock 98 gas tank

Is this all the time or when you are launching at the track?? How low is your car?? What shock and spring set up are you using?? Just curious.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm lowered with no problems. The vent screw was on my driver side and leaked. I fixed that by purchasing a PCV valve and putting on vacuum hose.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Here is pics of my midwest 9inch powdercoated red locally with most of my suspension components. I went with an Aluminum third member as well as welding the brake holding lines to the rear myself. I even went as far as having the backing plates powdercoated as well. Axles would have been done already but put the backing plates on the WRONG SIDE, lol.
****Make sure you putting the backing plates on the correct side****
I'll post more pics soon and I could even do a HOW-TO install if you guys would like??
Something I might add as well, on the third member if you drill the holes out slighly (have to go see what bit I used) especially the hole at the 6 ad 12o'clock on the aluminum member it will be much easier for it to fit over the studs. My third member will slid onto the studs very easy now and there is no play once it is on.

Here is a pic of the suspension and Driveshaft. BTW this midwest TQ arm is AT LEAST twice as light as my Spohn TQ arm.
I also pressed the bearings with the Plates on the WRONG SIDE.
LOL I feel better I was not the only one I just resend it to erick and he did it right for me. I will be getting mine tomorrow from FEDEX.

Thanks ERIC
Old 08-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my rear hit the reinforcement under the car on the back side of the back seats...i simply cut out that area and painted it...no problems since...mighty your car is low and the tq arm design that mounts tothe top of the rear makes clearence a problem...if its hitting the tank might only be the option to raise it up some....or get stiffer spring/ adjustable shock
the rear needs to be able to move freely to properly allow suspension to work and the car to hook
Old 08-26-2008, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received a rather large crate today.... Hopefully I can get it installed tomorrow...heck might even do it tonight.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Congrat's
Old 08-26-2008, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by daniel6718
my rear hit the reinforcement under the car on the back side of the back seats.
That's where mine hit too.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My install went smooth. The only problem so far is that I have a vibration on deceleration at highway speeds. The shop that installed the rear talked to Eric and he said adj. LCAs would fix this. Just an FYI for people going back with non-adj. LCAs. Might as well order them from the get go.

Pics are on my fquick page:
http://www.fquick.com/garages/Chevro...SS/2000/13777/
Old 08-26-2008, 11:58 PM
10 Second Club

so who else's hits the gas tank? This makes me nervous because i have a turbo back there. I will hopefully be installing the rear in the next week or two but i dont want any suprises...
Old 08-27-2008, 12:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

its not a gas tank issue... the only clearance problem there could ever be is the cars that were manufactured with a brace in the seat back area. with a car that is lowered 1.5 inches or more the top of the torque arm may contact it on bumps.

and yes... if anyone plans to use the relocator holes or adjust pinion angle more than the stock setting, a set of adjustable lca's is the only way to go. when you roll the pinion up or down it will change the wheelbase. the adjustability in the torque arm joints, the height adjustable pivot link, and a set of adjustable lca's will get the rearend as best as it can be. i offer lightweight chromemoly adjustable lca's that use Aurora brand teflon lined rod ends. these are very streetable and are a huge benefit to how the suspension works. they are a steal at 175.00, or 285.00 with a phb. always in stock in black powdercoat or plain.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

one problem i dont have is with my bmr non adjustales. there is no vibration in the lowest hole and my rear wheel is centered in the opening and the car tracks straight.

you guys like me that clearanced the seat back. take out your springs and put the rear up against wherever it stops now and check the gas tank clearance on the back of the housing.

i am going to get ahold of some larger bump stops
Old 08-27-2008, 08:12 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
i offer lightweight chromemoly adjustable lca's that use Aurora brand teflon lined rod ends. these are very streetable and are a huge benefit to how the suspension works. they are a steal at 175.00, or 285.00 with a phb. always in stock in black powdercoat or plain.
Are those prices including the powdercoat?

Also, as far as adjustment, is that something we can eyeball or set with a tape measure, or is that something better left to an alignment shop? I mean, I already have an adjustable panhard bar, but I just set it to the stock length and the rear seems pretty well centered and the car tracks straight. You had my pinion angle set at 2 degrees and the LCAs in the 2nd hole down; now the car doesn't seem to corner quite the same as before. You're saying the adjustable LCAs (set longer than stock I presume) should fix that right?
By the way, one thing I have really taken a notice to, is that any front end brake dive I had before is completely gone. That torque arm is awesome!
Old 08-27-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by supernaturalta
Are those prices including the powdercoat?
IMO I would jump on these prices. Wolfe Racecraft charges I believe $425 for the same quality parts.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yes... anyone who has ordered a rearend can get those prices on a set of lca's or phb. and they are powdercoated. black powdercoat or unpainted are in stock.

an adjustable lca is always gonna be better to be ablew to set a rearend straight, correct wheelbase, correct pinion angle, etc. a tape measure is fine if you know how to do the measurements. if you do get the rearend close, a 4 wheel align is never a bad idea, either. specifically ask for the tech to set the "thrust angle". everybody keep in mind that the stock wheelbase/rearend was just a bit toward the rear of center. if you are centered now is no big issue, these rearends/torque arms were built to be at factory location. torque arm length and height will have a slight affect on corner handling, and drag racing launch. shorter arms typically for drag racers, longer for handling/corners.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
yes... anyone who has ordered a rearend can get those prices on a set of lca's or phb. and they are powdercoated. black powdercoat or unpainted are in stock.
Hmmm.....that sounds like a great excuse to add some more chromemoly parts to my car.
Eric, out of curiousity, have you ever weighed the stock transmission crossmember vs. your chromemoly crossmember, and the stock torque arm vs. yours (short and long)? All I know is it seems like the stock pieces were really heavy and your parts were featherweights in comparison.
Oh yeah, I'm sending you a PM now about the LCAs/PHB.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Just wanted to add that the Aurora rod ends Eric uses on his suspension parts are liquid in movement. They are so smooth. I've got some single-adjustable rod end/poly G2 LCAs from LGM that I replaced with Eric's LCAs and the rod ends on the LGMs are complete junk compared to these Auroras. Verrrry niiiice!
Old 08-27-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

How much oil does this rearend take. Or should I just fill it untill it spills from the center section fill hole???
Old 08-27-2008, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bboyxclub
How much oil does this rearend take. Or should I just fill it untill it spills from the center section fill hole???
Yes. Also, Eric told me it takes about 4 quarts.

Quick Reply: Midwest Chassis & Performance fab rearends... new pics