Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 bmw m3 vs 2010 ss camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kain01
That video is awesome, especially the part about Vette's onstar activating when he wrecked at the racetrack.......never thought about that.
Note to self: Deactivate Onstar when racing!
Old 04-27-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's funny *** ****. just made my day a hell of a lot better haha.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Breaking axels with stock tires when running a 13.4 1/4 is pathetic.

I like all the excuses the guy comes up with when he realizes BMW's are slow, and unreliable, pieces of ****.
Feeling shitty about being ripped off is one thing, but then trying to make fun of Corvette, Camaro, and Firebrids is just a scumbag move.
Please notice, the DRIVER of the Corvette FAILED and NOT it's rear axels like your piece of **** BMW.

News Flash Jose':
A ZR1 DESTROYS all BMW's on the "race track" and has ALSO ran 9 second 1/4 mile times with a manual transmission.

Now, go take your bean eating, german humping, american hating *** and run south of the border.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the Bimmer will get you late way more often. here in L.A. anyway
two way different cars, I wouldnt not want to crazy mods an M3 besides suspension. but an SS would be faster cheaper.
If one could afford such car they would be able to keep your car in your sig, no?

M3 and keep your car
Old 09-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rayhawk
What he said. There is nothing left to do to the M3, it is already geared very aggressively, and there is basically nothing reasonable left to do to the motor. Who the hell wants a 4.0L v8 anyway? That is pathetic. And it gets 14/20 mpg!!
Intake/Exhaust/Tune on an E92 M3 will get you 400 to the wheels if that helps.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TT C6
It's true, the extra 5mph the M3 is getting is nothing to sneeze at.....but the LS3 can EASILY be modded to smash the BWM.

Although I HATE Euro-trash BMW snobs, I have to admit that 300+lbs weight advantage the M3 has is SIGNICANT and cannot be undone.
Ripping apart a brand new Camaro for weight savings is just stupid.
Not to mention, the BMW can be ripped apart for weight savings as well.

The lower weight and DCT trans is where the Camaro can't match the M3.
But, I'd take the Camaro, add a TVS 2300 & headers, then pocket the money saved by skipping the M3.
What's a DCT trans?? what does DCT stand for?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kain01
Well with car and driver magazine editors behind the wheel, the SS Camaro runs a 13.0 @ 111. The best time I've seen on c&d (again magazine racing is the best judge of what stock for stock will do, I'm not touching modding) for the M3 is a 12.6 @ 113. However there was a comparison test where there best time was a 12.9 @ 111. 300 lbs lighter or not, those trap speeds are pretty close, I'd call this one a driver's race.

In the curves I wouldn't tackle the M3 until after a few suspension upgrades, the M3 pulled an 8:05 nurburgring time, and the Camaro did a respectable 8:20, but still not in the M3's league in the curves.

The Ms gearing really helps it out alot.
LMR got a 111mph out of their LTs,tune and cai 2010 SS Camaro

Last edited by SLOC5LS6; 09-03-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SLOC5LS6
Intake/Exhaust/Tune on an E92 M3 will get you 400 to the wheels if that helps.
400 hp at 8200 rpm right? No thanks. Probably still under 300 ft lbs of torque too.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by landonew
Nobody buys M3s for drag racing and that is not their appeal.

They are really nice cars and I would take a m3 over a 2010 camaro anyday. Already have my drag car.
And that sums it up...
Old 02-05-2010, 11:22 AM

Old thread but I'm reviving it anyways. And yes, this is my first post.

Man, are some of yall completely wrong.

1. A camaro will never ever out handle/corner a M3. It just ain't gonna happen. How many camaros do yall see at a road course? Even better, how many camaros are there in the professional racing series? Case in point, even if you strip all the excess weight and do major suspension modifications, you still won't out handle/corner a M3 with similar modifications...not even close.

2. Nurburgring lap times... 8:20 for Camaro, 8:05 for E92 (sedan) M3, 7:59 for CTS-V. That's a 15 second difference for the Camaro and M3, which is an eternity. With an extra 150hp, the CTS-V is only 6 seconds faster than the M3. If the M3 had a supercharger adding 150hp (which there is one currently available...wish someone could take it to the 'Ring and test it), it would easily murder the CTS-V.

All in All... The BMW is expensive, only weights a little less, and the performance is similar to the 5th Gen. Ironicly the G8 GT's and GXP's hold up with the BMW's in turning and breaking... and the G8 shares the same platform as the new Camaro.
Wow. G8 GT's and GXP's holding up with a M3 in turning and braking (learn how to spell, btw)? What are you smoking? Show me some proof, sir. Once again, it'll never happen.

News Flash Jose':
A ZR1 DESTROYS all BMW's on the "race track" and has ALSO ran 9 second 1/4 mile times with a manual transmission.

Now, go take your bean eating, german humping, american hating *** and run south of the border.
Ahh the ZR-1 comparison. That's a good one, comparing a 110 grand, 2 seater with 638 supercharged hp, 604 lb ft of torque to a naturally aspirated 414 hp v8 with 295 lb ft torque, 4/5 seater costing 55k, which is half the cost of the ZR1. Fail.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

z06 would be closer, but still really no comparison btw bmws and gms. apples and oranges.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Aultman7

1. A camaro will never ever out handle/corner a M3. It just ain't gonna happen. How many camaros do yall see at a road course? Even better, how many camaros are there in the professional racing series? Case in point, even if you strip all the excess weight and do major suspension modifications, you still won't out handle/corner a M3 with similar modifications...not even close.

2. Nurburgring lap times... 8:20 for Camaro, 8:05 for E92 (sedan) M3, 7:59 for CTS-V. That's a 15 second difference for the Camaro and M3, which is an eternity. With an extra 150hp, the CTS-V is only 6 seconds faster than the M3. If the M3 had a supercharger adding 150hp (which there is one currently available...wish someone could take it to the 'Ring and test it), it would easily murder the CTS-V.

3. Wow. G8 GT's and GXP's holding up with a M3 in turning and braking (learn how to spell, btw)? What are you smoking? Show me some proof, sir. Once again, it'll never happen.

Ahh the ZR-1 comparison. That's a good one, comparing a 110 grand, 2 seater with 638 supercharged hp, 604 lb ft of torque to a naturally aspirated 414 hp v8 with 295 lb ft torque, 4/5 seater costing 55k, which is half the cost of the ZR1. Fail.

Can you ban someone after 1 post? Go back to the BMW forums.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

pretty legit until his comparison between the ctsv and m3 which is a ok comparison for the ring. comparable cost, ctsv is supercharged but m3 is much smaller. plus the comment about the m3 getting a supercharger is really humorous and ignorant.

while the zr1 comment might be a bit much, there are M cars in that price range. a z06 maybe a bit better. for a while gm cars were constantly being tested to more expensive german cars, now the shoe is on the other foot and thats your argument? lol

remember the camaro is half the cost of the m3

Last edited by disc0monkey; 02-05-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Pedders recently built a 5th gen camaro that pulled a 1.38g on the skid pad and outhandled a corvette handily.

A camaro could easily be made to out handle a bmw. If you have money you can do pretty much what you want with anything.

As for strait line...I guess it would be close (2 confirmed cars have pulled 12.6's with the new camaro and it has been on the streets less than a year).

Look on youtube for the LS3 camaro with full exhaust,CAI, and under drive crank pulley, UNTUNED. He walks a v10 bmw M5 until higher speeds.

The new camaro is no slouch
Old 02-05-2010, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

your starting to sound like the idiot with the 'well supercharge the m3' comment.

you can get a POS '90 civic to beat a M5 whats your point?

the m5 still neck and neck with a camaro that had aftermarket junk put on it. while the m5 owner doesnt even have a ******* dipstick and doesnt have to give a ****. i dont get these conversations every time they pop up here.

Last edited by disc0monkey; 02-05-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

3. Wow. G8 GT's and GXP's holding up with a M3 in turning and braking (learn how to spell, btw)? What are you smoking? Show me some proof, sir. Once again, it'll never happen.

You want to bitch about spelling? Try using proper grammar first.

Hey moron, did you happen to watch the Rolex 24??? Two Camaros finished in the top 10 in GT. Not bad for a first year car. Not to mention it kicked the crap out those eurotrash M6's in class. There are 4 in that class but there must not be any in professional motorsports. Not to mention they are in the Koni challenge as well as autoX courses all over. Springs and sways will have a Camaro running with an M3 with the same mods easily.

Oh wow, kind of like comparing a 60K car to a 30K car??? Which is twice the cost of the Camaro SS. Sounds familiar doesn't it? Fail.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Launching!

I guess this tool is 1 and done.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RiceEaterZ
bwahaha, thats what I get for googling stats. I surrender my dignity on that 1, I will not surrender my popcorn though
I lawled.

Originally Posted by TT632
This is applicable to the topic.

1,310 Reasons not to Drag-Race Your BMW M3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSEkU...layer_embedded
HAhahha I got a cousin that owns two m3s. One for the track, and one for DD. I gotta show him that.

And yes, you can get a Camaro to out-handle a M3.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:36 AM

Oh wow, kind of like comparing a 60K car to a 30K car??? Which is twice the cost of the Camaro SS. Sounds familiar doesn't it? Fail.
I was not the one who initiated the comparison between the Camaro SS and BMW M3. Don't blame me, blame the OP.

You want to bitch about spelling? Try using proper grammar first.
I'm from the South, therefore, I have the right to use whatever grammar I want.

Hey moron, did you happen to watch the Rolex 24??? Two Camaros finished in the top 10 in GT. Not bad for a first year car. Not to mention it kicked the crap out those eurotrash M6's in class. There are 4 in that class but there must not be any in professional motorsports. Not to mention they are in the Koni challenge as well as autoX courses all over. Springs and sways will have a Camaro running with an M3 with the same mods easily.
No I did not watch the Rolex 24. Congratulations for the Camaros finishing that high. Congratulations on them being in professional motorsports. I was wrong about that one. My bad. When they actually win something, come back and talk to me. Just because they are in the Koni Challenge and autoX, doesn't mean they win, or even place on the podium. Running with and beating are two completely different things. It takes more than springs and sways.

I guess this tool is 1 and done.
Nope, I'm back.

And yes, you can get a Camaro to out-handle a M3.
Show me.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I was not the one who initiated the comparison between the Camaro SS and BMW M3. Don't blame me, blame the OP.
But you are the one getting butt hurt over it...

It takes more than springs and sways.
You're probably right about that, it would probably take some good struts/shocks, springs, swaybars, lighter wheels and sticky tires.

Show me.
You don't think a koni challenge or rolex Camaro could out handle a stock M3? You could fly a Camaro to the moon if you had enough money and time, anything is possible and to think a Camaro couldn't be made to out handle an M3 is just silly.

Quick Reply: 2009 bmw m3 vs 2010 ss camaro?