Gen 5 Camaro Racing Tech, Results Drag racing, road racing, street racing. Share tech & results!

can someone please get in the 10s with a stock motor....

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by jetaws6
The mustang has aggressive gearing for a stock car. Thats what makes up for the lack of motor.
Lack of motor??? Please explain how a 5.0 putting down 370-390whp stock is Lacking? How about 430 whp with an x pipe, intake and tune... Atleast orangechevyII tells it like it is. Its ok to man up and admit the 11gt is a better platform. Also why would anybody gut a 5th gen? People are buying these cars for all the creature comforts and luxury crap that they are equipped with... Don't make any sense to spend 40k on a car to gut it just to run a number. You would be way ahead buying a 5th gen shell from GMPP and building your own "stripper".
Old 08-30-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Lack of motor??? Please explain how a 5.0 putting down 370-390whp stock is Lacking? How about 430 whp with an x pipe, intake and tune... Atleast orangechevyII tells it like it is. Its ok to man up and admit the 11gt is a better platform. Also why would anybody gut a 5th gen? People are buying these cars for all the creature comforts and luxury crap that they are equipped with... Don't make any sense to spend 40k on a car to gut it just to run a number. You would be way ahead buying a 5th gen shell from GMPP and building your own "stripper".
I said lack of motor for lack of a better word. My point it without the stock gearing in the rear and in the trans it would be a totally different ball game
Old 08-30-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Geared better
2. Heads are better, twice as many valves
3. Lighter
4. Same amount of power

End of argument, whats so hard to see? I'm a die hard bowtie man, all 4 of these are all that needs to be said. The Mustang wins this battle, hands down.

Yes you can find those "abnormal" cars, there's one that runs mid 12's bone stock, my car went 11.80s on the STOCK longblock with headers, exhaust, tune and 16" wheels. We did that back in August last year in the 100 degree heat! I think with the right gearing and weather the Camaro might run 11.50's maybe......big maybe. Still a half a second away from a 10 anything. These cars are heavy, irs sucks ***. These cars were not built for the drag strip, more to look pretty in. Hence the reason said from day 1 " when we designed the camaro, we are targeting the Infinity/BMW crowd, we are not competing with the mustang, we are in a whole other class of cars"

Sucks guys, get over it.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:15 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Mustangs are I think 300-350 lbs heavier stock to stock, that's a lot.

Orange how has the rear held up in your car...
Old 08-31-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by obZidian
Nobody is arguing that the mustang ISN'T a "great platform" but without the 5.0 coyote motor, it was just another, typical GT. Underpowered. So, in fact the motor did make the car. Furthermore, it goes without question that the 200lbs weight advantage (plus gearing) the 5.0 has is going to make it solid track car but without that 7k rpm range and MORE than 412BHP (without question it is making just as much as the LS3 or more) the GT wouldn't be the subject of so many threads. It is what it is, facts are facts.
honestly, wtf's your point? as i said, take a great platform, put a great motor in it, and you have a great car. if you take a great motor and put it in a **** car, you'd have a 5th gen.

what came first, the chicken or the egg?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:20 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dark SS
They did an 11.0 on stock internals. Larry said the axle came apart on what would have been a 10 sec. pass.
Oh ok didn't know that. thanks
Old 08-31-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Orange how has the rear held up in your car...
Its held up just fine. I ran it with all of the stock suspension and never broke anything all the way into the 10.2's and many 1.40-1.45 60's. Now I have the DriveShaftShop axles and the complete BMR rear suspension kit on the car. Still have the factory diff and 3:45 gears. When I get it back together and running with the new motor im looking for a consistant 1.2X 60ft. Sam talked to you about what all we needed to do to make the factory IRS constantly hook and stay alive. It is the key to getting the car as far as we have.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kmracer
honestly, wtf's your point? as i said, take a great platform, put a great motor in it, and you have a great car. if you take a great motor and put it in a **** car, you'd have a 5th gen.

If YOUR point is to troll and stir the pot, your barking up the wrong tree.

The facts are clear, without the protein OC-17, a protein found in the chicken's ovaries, the formation of the shell that contains the fertilized or unfertilized egg (can you guess, without using google, which kind we get at the supermarket?) with the DNA structure and vital life yield properties to support life wouldn't be possible UNLESS that specific protein is present.

The 5th isn't a **** car, no matter how many times you write that down or try to convince people.

CYA around troll. Enjoy your stay, while it lasts.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OrangeChevyII
Its held up just fine. I ran it with all of the stock suspension and never broke anything all the way into the 10.2's and many 1.40-1.45 60's. Now I have the DriveShaftShop axles and the complete BMR rear suspension kit on the car. Still have the factory diff and 3:45 gears. When I get it back together and running with the new motor im looking for a consistant 1.2X 60ft. Sam talked to you about what all we needed to do to make the factory IRS constantly hook and stay alive. It is the key to getting the car as far as we have.
Good stuff! I just saw the vids on youtube and your shifting is great. Do you still have the stock gears? 3.42's right?
Old 09-01-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

For a **** car it sure competes with a great car

It's not a strip car if you want to spend all your days at the track running a certain number but I am yet to see the proof where it is hands down a worse performer than the Mustang. The only difference is that the Mustang has inflated numbers ran by shop cars.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by obZidian
Good stuff! I just saw the vids on youtube and your shifting is great. Do you still have the stock gears? 3.42's right?
3.45s and yes, work great to this date.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dark SS
For a **** car it sure competes with a great car

It's not a strip car if you want to spend all your days at the track running a certain number but I am yet to see the proof where it is hands down a worse performer than the Mustang. The only difference is that the Mustang has inflated numbers ran by shop cars.
Do a search bud, the 11gt is out performing the 5th gen all day... Not saying I don't like the 5th gen at all, just telling it how it is. The 11Gt's are putting down 420-430whp with intake, exhaust, and tune. The ls3 5th gens hit right around 400whp with those mods and are 300lbs heavier... Not saying the the 5th gen wont get the job done because obviously it does... orangechevyII setup is a prime example. Ford desereves some credit tho, they finally out did the camaro after what 3 generations lol... imo the 5th gen was not intended to be a track car anyways. More of a sport touring setup that disconnects you from the road and smothers you in comfort and options!!

Last edited by kinglt-1; 09-01-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Do a search bud, the 11gt is out performing the 5th gen all day... Not saying I don't like the 5th gen at all, just telling it how it is. The 11Gt's are putting down 420-430whp with intake, exhaust, and tune. The ls3 5th gens hit right around 400whp with those mods and are 300lbs heavier... Not saying the the 5th gen wont get the job done because obviously it does... orangechevyII setup is a prime example. Ford desereves some credit tho, they finally out did the camaro after what 3 generations lol... imo the 5th gen was not intended to be a track car anyways. More of a sport touring setup that disconnects you from the road and smothers you in comfort and options!!
Did you just see the ARH header test for the 5.0. intake, full exhaust and tune. 415 rwhp.

Car picked up 23hp from the headers. LS3 cars gain about 30-35 (they dont have factoy mids like the 5.0) Virtually no gain in torque...car was still at 37x.

Just depends on the dyno. They are not putting down any better numbers than the ls3. They are very close mod for mod and stock for stock. Some LS3 cars have hit 39x rwhp stock as well just like the 5.0. Dyno differences.

A GT 5.0 hitting 430 rwhp without headers is not the norm from what I have seen so far. But they do not need headers as much as an ls3 either...
Old 09-01-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Did you just see the ARH header test for the 5.0. intake, full exhaust and tune. 415 rwhp.

Car picked up 23hp from the headers. LS3 cars gain about 30-35 (they dont have factoy mids like the 5.0) Virtually no gain in torque...car was still at 37x.

Just depends on the dyno. They are not putting down any better numbers than the ls3. They are very close mod for mod and stock for stock. Some LS3 cars have hit 39x rwhp stock as well just like the 5.0. Dyno differences.

A GT 5.0 hitting 430 rwhp without headers is not the norm from what I have seen so far. But they do not need headers as much as an ls3 either...
My POINT is that the power is close between the two platforms but the 11gt is 300lbs lighter wich makes it faster, end of story...
Old 09-01-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OrangeChevyII
1. Geared better
2. Heads are better, twice as many valves
3. Lighter
4. Same amount of power

End of argument, whats so hard to see? I'm a die hard bowtie man, all 4 of these are all that needs to be said. The Mustang wins this battle, hands down.

Yes you can find those "abnormal" cars, there's one that runs mid 12's bone stock, my car went 11.80s on the STOCK longblock with headers, exhaust, tune and 16" wheels. We did that back in August last year in the 100 degree heat! I think with the right gearing and weather the Camaro might run 11.50's maybe......big maybe. Still a half a second away from a 10 anything. These cars are heavy, irs sucks ***. These cars were not built for the drag strip, more to look pretty in. Hence the reason said from day 1 " when we designed the camaro, we are targeting the Infinity/BMW crowd, we are not competing with the mustang, we are in a whole other class of cars"

Sucks guys, get over it.
UMMM....you do know that evos 11 GT 5.0 car was hitting 11.6-11.8 as well until they removed 400 lbs from it and added race gas and race gas tune right? They were not even close to 10's either until that was done.

They also had (that your car didnt)

-better gearing (but factory so not really an argument)
-aftermarket performance clutch
-15 inch slicks and skinnies
-suspension mods
-aftermarket posi unit

Im just not seeing the advantage?
Old 09-01-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

My POINT is that the power is close between the two platforms but the 11gt is 300lbs lighter wich makes it faster, end of story...
Camaro has better power under the curve by far.

But yeah...it should be about .2-.3 faster...difference is 250 lbs.

So far they are not faster at all. Both have gone 12.5 stock for stock. Both M6 cars are trapping 110-112. They are VERY VERY CLOSE. Nowhere near anything to get upset about...im not getting it.

Road course? road and track tested them head to head... the difference was .1 tenth in the GT's favor.

Better track car in the long run? Whatever you want to spend the most money on....but GT for the average person no doubt.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

the 5.0's are trapping 114 box stock.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Camaros in some cases have trapped higher, but most of the time they trap around the same MPH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVVzt2QfS7E

and

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t_numbers.html

and here the camaro start to catch back up when the race ends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o3p8...eature=related
Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah the fastest...I am talking average. And I have not seen that from the 6 speed manuals.

The auto's I have seen that from. And they were shadowed in some doubt. But I think it is possible for sure. I seen 115 or 116 I think it was. But a lot of people were calling bs and it was on a stang board.

Both average traps are a dead heat (6M to 6M). Every head to head test shows this. Everything I have read shows this. Everything I have seen shows this.

Where are the 114 traps for the 6 speed manual cars? Id like to see some links to this because I havent seen it.

Evan Smith trapped a 112 with the 6M 5.0. I havent seen much higher.

A guy on the fast list at camaro5 hit a 113 trap bone stock (this summer in the heat btw)...I think he also ran like a 12.8 or so. Dont feel like posting a link but you can easily find the fast list at camaro5.

The L99's are out of the picture for the most part when stock. IF they are running properly in good conditions they trap up to about 108-109 and have hit a fastest time of 12.8. The 5.0 has got a solid edge in that respect no doubt.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jeffreycastgsx
Camaros in some cases have trapped higher, but most of the time they trap around the same MPH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVVzt2QfS7E

and

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t_numbers.html

and here the camaro start to catch back up when the race ends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o3p8...eature=related
The camaro has had the fastest 1/4 and trap in every head to head test except the motor trend test.

And yeah I dont doubt it catching up.

Their have been two different tests for 0-120 and 0-130 by two different mags. Camaro had a 1 second advantage to 120 and a 1.9 second advantage to 130.

In all honesty though I think the GT will best the camaro this fall. I am guessing the car could get down to about 12.3. I think 12.5 is about the end of the road for the 5th stock. The GT has roughly the same power (although less under the curve) it is lighter and it will hook better.

It is a great car. But I am more than happy with my 5th gen and this is just good for competition in my opinion.

Last edited by UltraZLS1; 09-01-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Quick Reply: can someone please get in the 10s with a stock motor....