Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

GM in financial trouble. Time to kill the Camaro!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GM in financial trouble. Time to kill the Camaro!

The day after General Motors' stock price plummeted to levels not seen since the 1950s, the country's top automaker dismissed speculation that it was headed toward bankruptcy. How bad could it get? Analysts say that GM must quickly become a much smaller company, with fewer brands, fewer models, and reduced legacy costs. It's undeniable that getting to that point will require a drastically different course from the one GM management has laid out so far.

I’ve got a great idea of how GM can save a lot of cash.
GM can start my killing the Camaro, and stop trying to live off memories of the past, by catering to boomers who have middle-age weight-gain and may have a mid-life crisis; and want to drag race a this nearly two-ton car.

This whole Camaro thing is a fiasco. First, the thing has gone on so long, by today’s standards it will be due for a refresh the year it’s launched. Not to mention their efforts to generate hype are getting lamer and lamer. And it is going to be THIRD to market in the muscle car segment in an era of high gas prices and CAFÉ standards.

Yes I am a bit tired of hearing about the release of the Camaro, but I was tired from my first look at the concept car, which I thought was ugly. I never could understand the hype, love, and adoration surrounding this car. I do think they improved the appearance of the production vehicle versus the concept car, but it still isn’t the eye candy that the last generation of Fbody was and the Mustang is.

Sure, it’s bright and flashy -- with the atmosphere of a 1950s malt shop. It is not a real retro anything; but a retro mishmash of ill defined design. Like many of today cars, it has little to no imagination in body design, unlike the days of Fisher - who designed some real classics that stand the test of time.

That grill looks like someone traced the outline of a shovel for the design, and molded it to a giant clydesdale of a car instead of a “Pony” car. See, GM forgot what the Camaro/Firebird was meant to be.

There's no legal definition for a Pony car, but we should be very clear on these points.
In generally accepted terms it was smaller, though decidedly not a compact car. It was far lighter than sedans and it was comfortable for two people, but avoided the interior (and weight) of the luxury sedans.

It hit the freedom note with the sporty casual look, but even more because it just was neither practical nor comfortable for riders in the back seat. So, dead weight was shed both by the use of lighter materials as well as nixing human baggage. In a nutshell, the Pony car allowed one to escape the gravity of family and unwanted passengers. That was and is the essence of freedom.

GM should save itself an expensive blunder it can ill afford.
They need to pull the plug on the Camaro production, get their house in order, and then introduce a real competitor to the Mustang and Challenger with aerodynamic, 21 century styling.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you write this or was this an article?
Old 10-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Teching In

This car is a step in the right direction. If they hit their esitimates, this will turn a nice profit for them. This is a car they need, and I'm not taking about just a performace car, a car that people will want and will pay for
Old 10-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well ok then! i have no idea why you aren't the CEO of GM?!? It appears that GM did little market research compared to your vast work.
sure, it does look like GM is late to the party, but stupid rants like this are so useless....i guess opinions are like ********, everyone has one.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z
did you write this or was this an article?
It was not copied from an article, but rather, I pulled together a collection or assembly of many thoughts across the Internet by those who do not buy the hype, or see the new Camaro through (vintage 1970's Rose colored) sunglasses!
Old 10-12-2008, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

gallardo259;

Look at your car from the rear quarter.

Your car looks like it's ready to run the highway - from any view!

Look at the fat Camaro from the same angle.

Built for Sir Mixalot - Baby got Back!

From the front, it comes on like brassy chick with a toothy grin, and as she passes you see the wide butt from eating too many french fries. But I don’t think putting Alli™ in the gas tank will solve this crisis.

But a redesign would. Unfortunately, GM hasn’t got the time, or the money left.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Go away. So you don't like it big deal. Others do.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

Wow this may be the most worthless thread in this entire section!
Old 10-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

Let me get this straight ... spend zillions in developing and tooling to build the car, and then don't make any. Brilliant.

They're stuck with it, we're stuck with it, that's all there is to it. It is what it is. Like it or lump it.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Let me get this straight ... spend zillions in developing and tooling to build the car, and then don't make any. Brilliant.

They're stuck with it, we're stuck with it, that's all there is to it. It is what it is. Like it or lump it.
How dare you try to reason with the marketing and business genius of the OP LOL!
Old 10-12-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

too late now. GM couldnt kill it if even they wanted to.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Launching!

If the Camaro should be killed for the OP's reasoning, the Challenger should also.

It is hard to argue with the fact that it is late to the game and the interior is a joke compared to mainstream GM cars, like the Malibu.

Also, corvetteconti's blog is claiming that the V8 models will be limited. Wait for the
gouging.
Greg and I will have more on Camaro shortly. Just wanted you to know, the dealers have a good idea now of what to expect for the 1st 3 quarters of the 2010 model year camaro. HUGE focus on V6 Greg said…V8s will be limited. Order guides and more will be posted, stay tuned. As of yet though, no official pricing from GM.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Teching In

I would buy one, assuming GM doesn't go crazy/greedy with pricing.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn.... one would have thought I wrote that!!!!!!!!!!
All I can say is that I as well was very DISAPOINTED in the new Camaro.

Too Heavy. No imagination for design and just down right UGLY!!!!!!

But.... it is too late.... GM is too committed to the new Camaro at this point.

Regardless of how I feel about it..... I still hope it succeeds... for if it doesn't... it will be the final swan song for the Camaro nameplate. (Not to mention any hope of reviving the Trans AM..... which is currently dead and only the sucess of the new Camaro will bring it's return.)

Although we do now have a new Firehawk on the way. Too bad it's a damn 4 door!!!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Gm dont need...GM will be forced to kill it. They are bankrupt, they wont admit this but it seems to be true.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

let them build it and go bankrupt. i mean the govt will just bail them out too, whats the big deal??
Old 10-12-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I read today that G.M. and Chrysler are talking merger.hmmm
Old 10-12-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shtnfrds
let them build it and go bankrupt. i mean the govt will just bail them out too, whats the big deal??

if you have a better idea then go knock on GMs front door. i'm sure they will give you a job making a **** ton of money because you are so ******* brilliant.

btw, how much hp did descreening your maf give you?

Old 10-12-2008, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

we must all sell what we have and buy a camaro to help GM out...sacrifice people this is our beloved bowtie we're talking about. I for one don't want a Camaro with a chrysler hemi and bmw subframe as they're talking to Chrysler in desperation. Save your pennies folks its time to sacrifice to save GM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....lol
Old 10-12-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
gallardo259;

Look at your car from the rear quarter.

Your car looks like it's ready to run the highway - from any view!

Look at the fat Camaro from the same angle.

Built for Sir Mixalot - Baby got Back!

From the front, it comes on like brassy chick with a toothy grin, and as she passes you see the wide butt from eating too many french fries. But I don’t think putting Alli™ in the gas tank will solve this crisis.

But a redesign would. Unfortunately, GM hasn’t got the time, or the money left.
Nice try sally, but next time don't use a CG concept that someone made up in 2004. Lets have a look at the production Camaro:

Quick Reply: GM in financial trouble. Time to kill the Camaro!