Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Mustang owners getting scared......

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackTTC6
They have nothing to be scared of. As soon as ford drops that 5L in the mustang it's going to kick the camaro's ***.
You mean "if" it gets the 5L, Ford put it on hold.

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Not skeerd.What's this one going to weigh in at? 4000lbs? j/k. What size rear end? They still going to keep the shitty hyrdaulic clutch design?
You mean the same hydraulic clutch just like the S197 car has?

Originally Posted by BlackTTC6
Power to weight ratio is your friend. The 5L mustang is going at weight atleast 300-400lbs less then the SS.

Mustang GT = 3500lbs / 400hp = 8.75
Camaro SS = 3900lbs / 430hp = 9.06

Camaro loses
Your being a bit on the light side for the Mustang, try 3600. Beside what is the redeveloped S197 car weight, you and I don't know, bet it will gain a 100 pounds or more. That .30 power to weight isn't all that much, it would be a drivers race.

Originally Posted by BLUE OVAL TURBO
I sure will be glad when the speculation is over and real streetcars hit the pavement !!!!!!!!!!!! With this economy i hope the Mustang/ Camaro/ Challenger/ etc has some buyers, otherwise we will be internet racing once again JMO !!!!!
True so true.

Ford has a great car in the Mustang GT, does it need more power and bottom end torque, hell yes. The S197 is a great responsive chassis, with nice power (not great, hmmm a S197 with an LS3). We don't know how well the new Camaro is going to be, we can assume that the Mustang was a baseline for the Camaro. I believe the Camaro is going to be killer again even if does weight too much, but I know the Mustang is going to pork out too due to government crash regulations that it will need to pass with the redesign.

Last edited by 406 Q-ship; 11-03-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship

Your being a bit on the light side for the Mustang, try 3600. Beside what is the redeveloped S197 car weight, you and I don't know, bet it will gain a 100 pounds or more. That .30 power to weight isn't all that much, it would be a drivers race.
Stock for stock i agree it will be a drivers race
Old 11-03-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you know there is gonna be videos out there of gt's beating a so called "SS" when in reality they where racing a stock 6 cylinder
Old 11-03-2008, 11:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Some of those comments made me laugh
Old 11-04-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think all in all other than the fan boys, mustang guys like and respect the new Camaro. Very good sign for GM because the 4th gen, other than performance, got beat by everyone. It was low quailty, harsh suspension, cheap materials and hard to get in and out of.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark SS
I think all in all other than the fan boys, mustang guys like and respect the new Camaro. Very good sign for GM because the 4th gen, other than performance, got beat by everyone. It was low quailty, harsh suspension, cheap materials and hard to get in and out of.
Consider they look so similar do they really have a choice?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dark SS
Yeap the 4th Gen F-body was all you say, but the competition of the Fox/SN95 was a joke. The SN95 Mustangs are even worse cars than the 4th gens for quality, fit and finish, chassis and body strength. Finally Ford after 40 years got the Mustang right and it looks like the Camaro may have made a huge step up (I hope I hope I hope).
Old 11-04-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

i cant wait till these 2010 camaros start rusting so i can afford one
Old 11-04-2008, 02:40 PM

My friends with 'stangs are shaking in their boots after seeing the sema camaros and the crate engines that will be offered lol
Old 11-04-2008, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship
Yeap the 4th Gen F-body was all you say, but the competition of the Fox/SN95 was a joke. The SN95 Mustangs are even worse cars than the 4th gens for quality, fit and finish, chassis and body strength. Finally Ford after 40 years got the Mustang right and it looks like the Camaro may have made a huge step up (I hope I hope I hope).
I might be one of the "FAN BOYS" most of you speak of but i call a spade a spade !! I actually like the NEW retro-musclecars Camaro/Challenger/Mustang and love that these are available to us in this day and time !!!!! Even though i choose to own Ford products i have respect for any manufacturer that produces great engines/chassis/ etc. GM has had a lot of great idea's and products that never quite sold well (IE) Grand Nationals/SS Monte Carlo's/ Syclones/Typhoons/ Impala SS/and of course the 4th Gen F-bodies . My main complaint about Ford is that the potential for legendary cars are there they just seems to not have the drive to produce them. As an example the '87-'93 Mustang GT should have had a 5.8 L Windsor as stock equipment, inch for inch with 5.7 L Z/28 Irocs/GTA/etc. The '94-'95 same as fox bodies except with more power and a 6-spd trans.'96-'98 GT 5.4 L d.o.h.c. 375+ 6 spd and so forth but they made specialty Cobra R models that should have been the average Joe models but again JMO. I hope all the new models sell well otherwise we might all be driving econo-boxes .
Old 11-04-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ultraz
I just looked on KBB and it says people are paying 48k$ for one and msrp is starting at 44k$

Lets say its 50k-30k....20k$ difference almost. Thats 66% more than the Base SS.

Not to mention not too long ago they were going for 60-70k$ for them.

I am not denying that fords svt motor is a badass motor, what I am saying is that from a comparison between the existing GT and the Camaro SS, its definitely competition.
Wow I responded to this late. Anyway I don't knwo whos paying over msrp got a gt500 anymore, maybe when they were new but now people pay sticker. But I guess if the experts (KBB) say its true then it must, without a doubt be true.

The SS probably will go for over sticker though and I wouldn't be surprised to see soem go for 40+ grand.

The real answer is that the GT and the SS are different cars designed for a different price range, different performance levels, and most of all different consumers. The mustang is made to sell to the masses who don't really care about willing at the strip. On the other hand the SS is for the performance croud who want all the performance for their dollar that they can get.

Both do their job very well and shouldn't really be compared to eachother, although they will be unfortunately.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

SLOW FRC, how can you possibly deny that pony cars are aimed for the same crowd. From a business perspective, It is very apparent that they are in competing markets. People who are interested in the Camaro would also be interested in the Mustang and Challenger.

I know personally I knew I would end up with a camaro or a mustang before I purchased. Simply because I was interested in an AMERICAN SPORTSCAR Coupe.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ultraz
SLOW FRC, how can you possibly deny that pony cars are aimed for the same crowd. From a business perspective, It is very apparent that they are in competing markets. People who are interested in the Camaro would also be interested in the Mustang and Challenger.

I know personally I knew I would end up with a camaro or a mustang before I purchased. Simply because I was interested in an AMERICAN SPORTSCAR Coupe.
I'm interested in a new challenger and have no interest in the new camaro.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BULLITT
Oh please. The new Crudmaro will fail. Just like all the other crap GM produced before hand has.
Why don't you climb back under your rock, your mullet is getting tangled.

The Camaro when released in 67 killed the Mustang on all fronts, sales, performance, and handling.

GM has had plenty of successes, same as Ford has its share of failures. I actually like the S197 Mustang very much (it took 40 years for Ford to get it right), and I see the Camaro as a quality car that has the stones too do GM justice.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Teching In

we should all probably just skip the bullsh1t and buy corvettes...
Old 11-06-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i just wanna race a damn 5th gen goddamnit!
Old 11-07-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
Typical fanboys. If anything, they should want the Camaro to succeed since it will make Ford build a more powerful Mustang.

Werd. I'm in Dearborn MI (Ford HQ) couple times a month for work and have seen two camoflaged Mustangs driving or on the backs of trailers.

If gas stays cheap (under $3/gal) look for the hp wars to continue and we'll all reap the benefits!
Old 11-07-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There will be a 5th gen SS landing in my immediate family sometime next year. Don't know about the rest of the Mustang crowd.......but I an't skeered.

Bring it on, I say.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hell yeah, aint nothing like a good ol fashion pony car war!
Old 11-09-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

its nice to have these cars back for our generations to roam the streets with

Quick Reply: Mustang owners getting scared......