Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Back from Detroit and the Camaro unveil

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Back from Detroit and the Camaro unveil

I was fortunate enough to be invited to NAIAS to attend the Camaro unveiling.

I knew there was gonna be alot of pomp and cirmcumstance, but I had no idea how big of an event this was.
Sunday night, Scott Settlemire invited the "faithful" to a reception at the GM Heritage Center. OMG. People were suffering from dehydration from drooling over all the cars in there.

My buddy Kevin was excited, because he got to see his 67 Camaro Indy pace car. GM bought it from him back in 02, and he hadnt seen it since the Camaro Legends Tour ended back then.

GM had most of the concept design team there Sunday night. I got to chat with many of the engineers and stylists. GM even flew in some of the Holden engineers to be present for the unveil. Safe to say they will be returning home with a very good idea what Camaro means to the US enthusiasts.

I know GM is non-commital on if they are building it, but I have a very strong feeling that decision has been made, and it is indeed full steam ahead. wink wink

All of the US RWD Architecture team is currently relocating to Australia to combine resources with their Holden counterparts. GM wouldn't shoulder that expense of relocating all those families if some major commitments werent made internally yet.

Work on the concept did not start in earnest until about 10 months ago. They went from paper to a driveable concept in that timeframe. In fact, the car wasnt driveable until about 2 weeks ago.

NYC area folks, plan to make it to the Auto Show this year, as the concept will indeed be at Javits. Knowing Settlemire, he just might make arrangements to get a bunch of fcar enthusiasts into the show out of hours to get an intimate look at the concept. I'll post details if anything develops on that front.

I have to admit, I was a little luke warm when I saw the pictures before I left.... but in person, WOW. The car has GREAT lines, and has alot of presence.

There's alot of reasons to be optimistic. We just gotta hang in there a little while longer.

Anyway, back to reality today for me, work. Yuck. Magic carpet ride is over.

As if you havent seen enough already..... my pics from the trip.

http://imageevent.com/face440/camaro

http://imageevent.com/face440/gmheritagecenter

http://imageevent.com/face440/naias06

Oh, and in case anyone hasnt seen this documentary yet.. it was done by the Discovery Channel - Canada. Pretty neat interview with Tom Peters, who led the design team for the concept. It has lots of footage of the concept car being built.

Discovery Channel - Canada - Daily Planet - Camaro: A New Beginning
Old 01-12-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice pics.I can give my son the 98 and buy a new one when the are made.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read the document, that car has some big rims and wide tires. Kinda huge in fact.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The interior needs some work, the seats are awesome though.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Launching!

yeah, 21 and 22 inches wont see production, but safe to say 19 and 20 probably would.

the interior is full of bling since its a concept. we wont be seeing all that polished aluminum in production for sure.

what we have is the base starting point. the final version will have these lines. I'm sure there will be some tweaking done. it was great to see how many members of the GM design team was seeking input from those fcar enthusiasts in attendance on both the styling and mechanical aspects.

IMHO, when this is all said and done, were gonna have a car that is "Mustang" priced, with about 100-130 more HP. Ford can enjoy a few more years of exclusivity... but when $26k base V8 Camaros are hitting the streets and running with $43k Cobras.... and $40k+ Challenger SRT-8s... Chevy is gonna have a real winner with this car.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah, a guy I work with AJ was out there with you guys and got back this morning. Gave me the full report of the unveiling, said he started to well up a bit and Bob Lutz must've noticed it because he mentioned it was the first time he'd been at an unveiling where people were getting teary eyed.

Looks great to me, I 100% hope they go ahead and build it.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ChrisL
yeah, 21 and 22 inches wont see production, but safe to say 19 and 20 probably would.

the interior is full of bling since its a concept. we wont be seeing all that polished aluminum in production for sure.

what we have is the base starting point. the final version will have these lines. I'm sure there will be some tweaking done. it was great to see how many members of the GM design team was seeking input from those fcar enthusiasts in attendance on both the styling and mechanical aspects.

IMHO, when this is all said and done, were gonna have a car that is "Mustang" priced, with about 100-130 more HP. Ford can enjoy a few more years of exclusivity... but when $26k base V8 Camaros are hitting the streets and running with $43k Cobras.... and $40k+ Challenger SRT-8s... Chevy is gonna have a real winner with this car.
Is it safe to say that if the car does, in fact, hit production it will be mfg. in Australia at the same facility as the GTO--maybe even replacing the GTO? Would that be the reason GM re-located the people there? WJ

Last edited by WJ SOM SS; 01-12-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
Is it safe to say that if the car does, in fact, hit production it will be mfg. in Australia at the same facility as the GTO--maybe even replacing the GTO? Would that be the reason GM re-located the people there? WJ
they just moved the RWD design team to Australia..because Holden has a lot of RWD experience, have been doing it non stop for years. i think if produced it would be made in the USA
Old 01-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FireStorm
they just moved the RWD design team to Australia..because Holden has a lot of RWD experience, have been doing it non stop for years. i think if produced it would be made in the USA
It would be built here.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
a guy I work with AJ was out there with you guys
cool.

yeah, AJ was ballin like a baby. Tell him were still searching the videos for the proof too. LOL

AJ and I flew in together with a couple of other Hudson Valley folks. I dont think we've met. I'm they guy in the white Firehawk polo shirt.

Do you know Kevin (red cap), Jeff (blue Camaro sweater), or John (sitting on the floor in front)?

Old 01-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChrisL
It would be built here.
yes, that's what i said
Old 01-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FireStorm
yes, that's what i said
LOL, yeah, I quoted the wrong post.

Old 01-12-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Nope, I don't believe we've met, though I've heard him mention your name before. Kevin I think I've met, I think he used to work here on the IBM site (maybe still does). He was driving a 35th SS for awhile I believe, right? And had his 2nd Gen on the Power Tour a couple years ago? The other fellas I haven't met.

It's actually pretty funny by the way, my old man is a GM retiree, named Robert A. Lutz. Some time back in the '80s he was at a conference at the Renn. Center in Detroit for GM, and got a picture taken with THE Bob Lutz when he was with Chrysler I think.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Yeah, Kevin is still there.

He had a 67 Camaro Indy Pace Car that he restored. GM used it on the Camaro Legends Tour, and gave him a couple of new SSs to use over the years as a "rental fee". GM finally bought the 67 from him back in 2002. He used that money to buy an 02 sunset orange SS vert.

He hadnt seen it since then until the reception at the GM Heritage Center Sunday night. Settlemire made sure it was there so he could see it.

Here he is Sunday night with the former General Manger of Chevy, Jim Perkins. Chevy used of of Jim's Camaros at the unveiling.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

IS there a Sunraycer in the Heritage Center?
Because I thought I saw one!
Old 01-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry,
What happened to the mean *** designs that young design student did a while back?
They should have hired him.
I kind of like the middle and the hood, but don’t like the front or back.
I might like it in person. They do an rs-ss with the zo6 427 ls7 and I may come around.
Maybe a Z-28 with stripes and a 8000rpm 302 and well…….

We all knew they would be back, GM only “killed” the camaro to drop the people in the Canada plant without having a big union battle on there hands. Slick move.
Now they will do them in Australia where they have “a lot of experience with rear wheel drive cars” …..A….no, maybe because labor and materials is 1/3 the cost!
I hope they do them here and give some Americans some work. But then they would cost twice as much. Hope you lazy union guys are happy, thanks to you everything in the good old U.S. is being out sourced. Don’t have to worry about the union guys reading this and getting pissed at me, there out on another coffee brake. Go union.
You have to pay 1 to work, 3 to supervise, 6 on disability and 12 on pension
to get anything done, Wahoooo!

The comments in this post in no way reflect the interest or concerns of ls1tech or its members. (lawyers, another anchor around the neck of the good ol USA)
Old 01-12-2006, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TTSSZ
Sorry,
What happened to the mean *** designs that young design student did a while back?
They should have hired him.
I kind of like the middle and the hood, but don’t like the front or back.
I might like it in person. They do an rs-ss with the zo6 427 ls7 and I may come around.
Maybe a Z-28 with stripes and a 8000rpm 302 and well…….

We all knew they would be back, GM only “killed” the camaro to drop the people in the Canada plant without having a big union battle on there hands. Slick move.
Now they will do them in Australia where they have “a lot of experience with rear wheel drive cars” …..A….no, maybe because labor and materials is 1/3 the cost!
I hope they do them here and give some Americans some work. But then they would cost twice as much. Hope you lazy union guys are happy, thanks to you everything in the good old U.S. is being out sourced. Don’t have to worry about the union guys reading this and getting pissed at me, there out on another coffee brake. Go union.
You have to pay 1 to work, 3 to supervise, 6 on disability and 12 on pension
to get anything done, Wahoooo!

The comments in this post in no way reflect the interest or concerns of ls1tech or its members. (lawyers, another anchor around the neck of the good ol USA)
only time will tell my friend... ur right the reason they ditched the fbody was to bring it back and to get rid of the canadian plant. the new car i am sure will be made in the USA, they are just going to australia to finalize the platform. i still have my doubts also but only time will tell...
Old 01-12-2006, 11:28 PM
10 Second Club

I really do hope it is made here ...one of the ONLY things that bothers me about my Z28 is that it was assembled up north instead of on U.S. soil like the truly legendary and iconic American car it is should be.

While I don't love the styling, it is attractive for sure...and if it does in fact come out in the Mustang's price range with an LS2 (or whatever the LS2 replacement (6.2L, LS3 etc.) is in 2009) and 6 speed (and/or 6 speed auto) and weighing in under 3400 pounds or less than I will likely have to really consider one. I do like that Challenger too though.

Any talk of a Camaro convertible and/or T-tops?
Old 01-13-2006, 06:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Going to Australia to finalize a U.S. car's platform? A car that has been a U.S. icon forever? Doesn't make much sense to me. I believe the reason really will be $$$ when everything comes out in the wash. My guess = Made in Australia, if made at all. WJ
Old 01-13-2006, 07:03 AM
12 Second Club

I think that GM made the descision to go down under because they have more RWD powered cars than we do right now GM would have to retool to develop the Camaro in the states. Also I belive that GM has an agreament with the Canadian Gov. to only build the Camaro and Firebird in Canada.

Quick Reply: Back from Detroit and the Camaro unveil