Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Decrease or Increase in Prices of Current Camaros and Firebirds with new Camaro
Decreased resale of F-bodies with the intro of the new retro Camaro
75.18%
Increased resale of F-bodies with the intro of the new retro Camaro
24.82%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Price Decrease with new Camaros comming out

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

people do seem to be doing engine swaps, but it seems stupid to me too unless there is that much more power or something... like the lt1 to ls1 kinda thing. Why don't they just mod the engine they have and save a lot of cash and do more to the engine they have? I can under stand if it's a v6 or something but otherwise, no.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tylerj
HELL yEAH up up
u didnt buy the car to hold on to it, its meant to be driven! Isnt that the whole point in a car is to drive it? Who cares if the ls1 or lt1's are only worth 2 grand tommorow theres nothing you can do to change whats going to happen. Drive it and have fun with it.
x2 but I do like the idea of it being worth loads of cash just so people can admire it a little more hahaha
Old 10-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Teching In

As an antique dealer I can tell you one thing for certain. What gets the best price is nostalgia from the demographic with money. I think there will be many nostolgia price drive ups in the 4th gen. birds 30 years down the road. I also think you have seen the peak of the 1st gen prices and will be able to watch them decrease steadily over the next 10-15 years. Not sure how the big C crowd will hang in the long run, but hold out with your Fbirds and t/a's. And just to say it the 2nd and 3rd gen body styles were nothing that held any weight. Hey I loved my 88 t/a but its lines sucked.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
But in 20-30 years from now getting spare relays and other such part that will be out of production. Also who know is gas will even be around in such time, and what will you have to pay for it 10 a gallon? I know what happened to the car prices from the time past, but who knows enjoy them will you can...
1. For a vehicle such as the F-body, odds & ends won't be a problem. Look at places such as Year One, ect. Will you be able to walk into a GM dealer topick one up, maybe not....but rest asured, somebody will happily take your money.

2. If gas is no longer available, wouldn't that make muscle cars even more valuable?
Old 12-17-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98A4LS1
Short term = decrease
Long term = increase
In general, I agree with that. I think there will be cases where the reverse is true as well though....all depends on who wants what (maybe in the long term they will prefer a used 5th gen instead......in the EXTREME long term things may be different....etc...)

I also dislike how the poll only suggests how the price will increase OR decrease and refers to the new Camaro as "retro."
Old 12-19-2006, 11:50 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have time to read the whole thread, so I'm probably the 100th to say this:

It's a focking law of car values. When a new/updated generation or version of an exisiting model comes out, it always depresses the resale value of the earlier generation.

The only time this is inverted is in the case of really limited production cars. People see the new one, get excited about it, but can't get one because they only make so many... so they buy an older one to try and satisfy the desire.

This will not happen with Camaros. They are not a limited production car by any stretch. People will want to have the hottest new thing (ie. 5th gen) so not only will they focus on buying one of those and ignoring used 4th gens, but also current 4th gen owners will want to dump their cars to get a 5th gen.

So, you have decreased demand for, and increased supply of 4th gens. Economics 101: the price will fall.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:00 AM
Teching In

If they do go down in price then it sucks if you are trying to SELL it. BUT less demand equals cheaper prices for the BUYER. Cheaper parts for sale, and more people wanting to get rid of their "outdated" ride to get the next model. It's like Ying and Yang.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ofcourse There Gonna Decrese A Lot
Old 12-28-2006, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

every generation of the f-body has its loyal following. Ive seen many guys who are 1st gen nuts not even give any other generation a chance. just as i've seen this apply to all other generations as well. with some of the crazy sales you see on the famous auctions on tv the price of collector cars is insane.When I was out of high school in 90 a 69 camaro in descent shape could be bought for $3,500.00 and there were a few to choose from. now you can't buy one in the worst shape possible for that price. Locally even the price of clean third gens are slowly starting to creep up. Don't get me wrong I'm not seeing 3rd gens sell for more than what they stickered for but i have seen a few 85-86 vert irocs sell between 10-15k with less than 40k miles with that showroom look to them. these cars are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them and time will only tell what that market will be.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah. Believe it or not but the old IROC-Z and 3rd gen Firebirds have something of a cult following. People remember the IROC as a hot car.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

IMO alot of people will dump their ls1's on the market at first to upgradek, maybe for the first couple of years and the price will drop. Though the high exposure imo may help stabilize the market and rectify the demand. Now they're the greatest bang for the buck in terms of performance and the 4th gens aren't increasing in number. The high exposure coupled with performanced minded people grabbing them up, I can't see them dropping significantly. I could care less for the resale value of mine. I don't think I will ever sell the car. Unless it's wrecked, I plan on driving her till I'm done with grad school then retire her as a dd and restore it. Just my .02

Last edited by greysteel_M6; 01-17-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:35 AM
TECH Addict

Doesn`t matter to me. I`m never getting rid of mine! I love her!!!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by damon_Z
I think a lot of the people that thinks the 4th gens will one day appreciate is day- dreaming. We will never again see the likes of the 60's and early 70's where those cars have appreciated significantly. Unlike today, there was something special about the U.S. car culture, U.S. culture in general, and the automobile technology in that time period. Now, most cars are generic and this day and age that we live in is really nothing special. Therefore, the only fuel injected cars you'll see appreciating will probably be the low-volume exotics (and I'm not talking about the Z06).

he hit the nail on the head here folks....cars are mass produced now, and arent even numbers matching...if you want a car that will appreciate...buy a muscle car from that era....there was only one period in time when muscle cars existed...and its over now...

Old 01-18-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by _JB_
I have to disagree. Look at the fox Mustangs, their price is very slowly going up.
yeah right...how many CLEAN fox bodies do you see...1 out of every 100....and they are only popluar to those who really want to race them...or modify them...that's all they are good for...other than that, who the HELL wants a stock fox body nowadays? no one...

any car that appreciates that is not yet a classic only does so because it appeals to a certain market, a small pocket of enthusiats...like the older Rx7's and Supras...perfect example....
the muscle car era was much larger than that..it was a generation, and MANY people world wide recognize that...

I just have to disagree here, but point well taken...
Old 01-25-2007, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

Add me to the list that is waiting for the 4th gens to drop in price then I'll buy another one and build the heck out of it.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

You know what if you want a 2002 ws6 or SS yeah its easy to find clean ones

But it is hard to find a clean 98-2000 camaro, has anyone notice how many miles are on these cars?

Most are close to around 80-100K but they are built well but still.....

Clean nice LT1s are hard as hell to find! there all like at 100K and over now
Old 01-25-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
yeah right...how many CLEAN fox bodies do you see...1 out of every 100....and they are only popluar to those who really want to race them...or modify them...that's all they are good for...other than that, who the HELL wants a stock fox body nowadays? no one...

any car that appreciates that is not yet a classic only does so because it appeals to a certain market, a small pocket of enthusiats...like the older Rx7's and Supras...perfect example....
the muscle car era was much larger than that..it was a generation, and MANY people world wide recognize that...

I just have to disagree here, but point well taken...

Um you must not be around ford people alot, they shell out cash FOR NICE Fox bodies

And Cobras?!! Hell they fetch alot coin!!!! Doesnt matter what year cobras hold alot of value!
Old 01-25-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is hard to make a 4th gen cheaper than it already is.

4th gens have absolute crap resale values, their trade-ins are even worse.

I don't know what you guys are smoking, but it is hard to find a buyer willing to pay good cash for a car that was only $22.5 k when it first rolled off the lot. Options be damned that 465 you spent for the monsoon isn't worth anything after it rolls off the lot. More than likely you already blew the factory speakers anyway.

Not only that the window motors died etc. They weren't that expensive in the first place and it will be a LONG time before a 4th gen hits 35 years old. By that time we'll be using electric/hyrdogen cars.

Either that or the apocolypse.

Even Z06's lose the majority of their value after they hit 5 years and 50k miles.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I could really care less, I wanted this car for a long *** time and I plan on having it a long *** time. I didn't buy this car as an investment, I bought it for fun.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by _JB_
I could really care less, I wanted this car for a long *** time and I plan on having it a long *** time. I didn't buy this car as an investment, I bought it for fun.

That is the way to look at it.

Unless the car is stock and you didn't put any mods into than you are going to lose your ***.

It is better to just keep the car and have fun with it. If you buy a car that like just as much or better than you can always go absolutely wild with the car and tear out the interior.

I wish I still had my baby... sniff I would seriosly go to town with that engine.

Quick Reply: Price Decrease with new Camaros comming out