Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Which options would you like to see in the new Camaro?
z28-300hp, SS 6.0 400 hp, ZL1 7.0 500 hp
27.95%
z28 6.0 400hp, SS 7.0 500 hp
57.16%
Any of above but z28 being top runer
11.34%
Don't offer a 7.0 500 hp Camaro let the GT 500 stay up front.
3.55%
Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

The race for POWER!!!--Chevy Plans for 2010

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shock Hawk
Then you have 2 choices:
1. Buy the V6
2. Buy it used

But don't spoil our fun
Actually, it's the other way around, pal! If there is a huge break in price between the V6 and the lowest V8, I might just go get a Mustang instead! I'm tired of every coupe on the market with any inkling of power being ~$30K.

Don't spoil your fun? I don't want to spoil your fun, I just want some fun of my own, at a price that I can afford! I kind of get this snobbish attitude from a few of the people on this board who act like it's a status symbol to have a V8 F-body....I don't like that at all!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Banned

Red face Chevy's Plans For The Return Of The Camaro

I do know for sure ONE thing . GM damn well better get their **** together on this one and not do a half-assed job like they did with the Goat. One of THE most important job-1 things to do is hire some sound engineers that know how to make a V8 sound bitchin, even thru the stock exhaust system. The sound is as if not more important than performance - GM are you listening ?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER
I do know for sure ONE thing . GM damn well better get their **** together on this one and not do a half-assed job like they did with the Goat. One of THE most important job-1 things to do is hire some sound engineers that know how to make a V8 sound bitchin, even thru the stock exhaust system. The sound is as if not more important than performance - GM are you listening ?
Yeah, they need to steal the guys from Nissan who did the Murano and 350Z Exhaust.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by QuickT/A
Nice info, thanks for the link. I'm still guessing the base camaro to compete with the mustang Gt will be offered with an HP rating somewhere in the mid 300's and price tag under 30,000. I am going for the 450 horse which I'm hoping will be the SS.

ya but most likely with all the power gains that we have coming out of ford and dodge, and now that they planned on putting the supercharged 6.2 in the upcoming corvette ss, i wouldn't be suprised to see a 6.2 base with 450 hp as a z28, and a supercharged 6.2 as a ss, with approximately 550 hp. Its basicly going to be the same motor as the corvettes, its just that the supercharger is going to be slightly detuned. The corvette was said to push more the 600 hp. So its going to be around 50 or so hp difference in between the camaro ss and the corvette ss.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Teching In

I sure hope they do this right as do all of you out there. I really want to buy a camaro, and if I can afford it without huge dealer mark ups, buy the top of the line camaro. The gt500 goes with an incredible mark up that makes me sick. When the stupid PT cruiser hit the market, they had a mark up too. Now GM wasted there time and made the HHR a dollar short and five years late. Even the commercial for the HHR is with naked guys dancing around it on a busy street. GM pull your head out of your @77 before you make a camaro add like that one. I pray that GM does make a good v6 base v8 and a king kong v8 that we can all be proud of. In fact if GM does a good enough job the may be able to sell the Camaro as an Opel in Europe.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Levoncmo
ya but most likely with all the power gains that we have coming out of ford and dodge, and now that they planned on putting the supercharged 6.2 in the upcoming corvette ss, i wouldn't be suprised to see a 6.2 base with 450 hp as a z28, and a supercharged 6.2 as a ss, with approximately 550 hp. Its basicly going to be the same motor as the corvettes, its just that the supercharger is going to be slightly detuned. The corvette was said to push more the 600 hp. So its going to be around 50 or so hp difference in between the camaro ss and the corvette ss.
I see what you saying, but I don't see the mustang GT pushing anymore than 350 hp and thats what the base V8 camaro (like the 4th gen Z28)will be going after so I would say it would come in about 375 and 5.3 litres. The 450 horse LS3 upscale camaro(like the 4th gen SS) will compete with the Boss302 and Mach 1 mustangs coming out around 2009ish. Kinda of like the way it was in 02 except more hp will seperate the base and upgraded V8's and they will be different motors. The king of the hill would most likely get a non-intercooled S/C 6.2 and come in at around 550 hp and I'm sure would have an msrp north of 40,000 and have a limited production run compared to the other two. This is all just my opinions and an educated guess based off of GM history and facts/rumors I have read. So please don't hold me to this or think any of it is cold hard fact.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Look for the Camaro to be a 400HP LS2. The SS will more than likely be a similar situation with the last SS/Z28 with the SS getting more power from a less restrictive intake and exhaust. A 7 litre version won't happen, it will put the car to far beyond the price point GM wants to achieve. Remember the LS7 comes from Katech and that makes it a big price bump.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Launching!

There is no way the new camaro will have an LS2. That motor will be out of production by the end of this year.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

this is just like the 60s during the muscle car era with all this competition. i see it all falling off real fast, just like the 70s.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

z28 6.0 400hp, SS 7.0 500 hp... please i hope they come out w/ something good..
Old 04-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by QuickT/A
Nice info, thanks for the link. I'm still guessing the base camaro to compete with the mustang Gt will be offered with an HP rating somewhere in the mid 300's and price tag under 30,000. I am going for the 450 horse which I'm hoping will be the SS.
The Mustang GT competitor, from what I have gathered from "inside" sources on other boards, will be in the 400hp ballpark, and be right at $30k, maybe less being skimpy with the options. It is sounding like the v6 car will be the 3.6 DOHC engine making almost 300hp. It is anyones guess as to what the top level v8 will be, but a blown 6.2 is definetly a possibility.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Camaro734
I sure hope they do this right as do all of you out there. I really want to buy a camaro, and if I can afford it without huge dealer mark ups, buy the top of the line camaro. The gt500 goes with an incredible mark up that makes me sick. When the stupid PT cruiser hit the market, they had a mark up too. Now GM wasted there time and made the HHR a dollar short and five years late. Even the commercial for the HHR is with naked guys dancing around it on a busy street. GM pull your head out of your @77 before you make a camaro add like that one. I pray that GM does make a good v6 base v8 and a king kong v8 that we can all be proud of. In fact if GM does a good enough job the may be able to sell the Camaro as an Opel in Europe.
I could have not said it better myself...
Old 04-23-2007, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Devylyst
i think it should be like this:
V6 250hp
V8 base model between 380 to 400hp
V8 Z28 400hp
V8 SS 460hp
ZL1 600hp
I agree with devylyst but i want the ss with 500 +. That's just me
Old 04-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chris93266
this is just like the 60s during the muscle car era with all this competition. i see it all falling off real fast, just like the 70s.
Agreed. There are forces and situations that will come down on a horsepower war that the proposed motors would instigate. I think we should wish against a 500+ HP Camaro in order to keep RWD pony cars around at all.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Default Price and apperance will win.

Before I say this keep in mind, I hate Ford. The Mustang won the war because it offered two things the general public wanted. Low price,and distinctive looks. Was the Camaro a better car? Hell yea. But the average person that wanted a sports car was looking for something affordable. Which ment the Mustang with around 1500 to 2000 less won that battle. Then you go for appearance. What was the only difference between the Z28 and RS model in the 90s? A couple stickers that said Z28?? Ok, so you had a WAY better engine and performance. But thats only half the battle. Just look at the Camaros in the seventies. When you bought a Z28 you bought a Z28.
However I will say, the Camaros and Birds in the last two years finally woke up. Too bad it was just too late. Had they done that back in 98 we would be beating up on the Mustangs like you wouldnt believe. Well......even more so.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
Actually, it's the other way around, pal! If there is a huge break in price between the V6 and the lowest V8, I might just go get a Mustang instead! I'm tired of every coupe on the market with any inkling of power being ~$30K.

Don't spoil your fun? I don't want to spoil your fun, I just want some fun of my own, at a price that I can afford! I kind of get this snobbish attitude from a few of the people on this board who act like it's a status symbol to have a V8 F-body....I don't like that at all!

Bro if you like ford so much what are you doing in the LS1 Website?? You have to understand this guy and me personally want a V8 model that everyone can afford; in this case it is a obvious way to chevy.HOWEVER we also want a really big motor to hit the pavement with. I think you should chill out and be a part of the tread instead of talking **** about everyone. I'm telling you because is not the first time I see this kind of comment from you.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bboyxclub
Bro if you like ford so much what are you doing in the LS1 Website?? You have to understand this guy and me personally want a V8 model that everyone can afford; in this case it is a obvious way to chevy.HOWEVER we also want a really big motor to hit the pavement with. I think you should chill out and be a part of the tread instead of talking **** about everyone. I'm telling you because is not the first time I see this kind of comment from you.
First of all, I'm not a Ford fan, I was being insulting to prove a point. Second of all, I'm not entirely sure just who you are directing your comments to, because your sentence structure is the suck. Try again with subjects and verbs concisely stated, please.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
First of all, I'm not a Ford fan, I was being insulting to prove a point. Second of all, I'm not entirely sure just who you are directing your comments to, because your sentence structure is the suck. Try again with subjects and verbs concisely stated, please.
You might be right, English is my second language and I don't bother to check on my spelling sometimes. However I think I was very clear and you understood me perfectly that you were being a A*****. Everyone has a opinion and your "I'm perfect" actituded is not appreciated or wanted. You know that you reacted with a very nasty way to the comment that guy did I don't know what made you upset but I guess it was just something personal you took on. It might help to see how you frase your comments later on!**HINT***
Old 04-28-2007, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

enough with the arguin were all friends here i think the camaro z28 will have the 6.2 LS3 thats in the standard '08 vette, good for 430hp. supercharged ss? ya neva know (til 09 that is)
Old 04-29-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bboyxclub
You might be right, English is my second language and I don't bother to check on my spelling sometimes. However I think I was very clear and you understood me perfectly that you were being a A*****. Everyone has a opinion and your "I'm perfect" actituded is not appreciated or wanted. You know that you reacted with a very nasty way to the comment that guy did I don't know what made you upset but I guess it was just something personal you took on. It might help to see how you frase your comments later on!**HINT***
Sorry about the misunderstanding. It wasn't your spelling, but rather sentence structure that threw me off. I wasn't sure who you were directing your comments toward. My bad.

I was just put off by the attitude against a mid-range Camaro, THAT'S IT. I'm not angry at all, just a bit frustrated with some of the closed-mindedness around here. I didn't think I was being that nasty, but ok....

If I hurt anyones feelings, please PM me so I can send some flowers and my personal condolences.

Quick Reply: The race for POWER!!!--Chevy Plans for 2010