Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Which options would you like to see in the new Camaro?
z28-300hp, SS 6.0 400 hp, ZL1 7.0 500 hp
27.95%
z28 6.0 400hp, SS 7.0 500 hp
57.16%
Any of above but z28 being top runer
11.34%
Don't offer a 7.0 500 hp Camaro let the GT 500 stay up front.
3.55%
Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

The race for POWER!!!--Chevy Plans for 2010

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post The race for POWER!!!--Chevy Plans for 2010 Corvette/Camaro

Okay here is the deal it is ridiculous these turbocharge 4 cilinders and V6 ricers coming with 300+hp like the infinity G35 the Lancer ect. Chevy needs to step up and I think they will. Just read a new article on motortrend magazine of a new corvette coming out with 700hp and problably a resurrection of a Corvette SS. All of this supposely for 2010. I know they will never put corvette against camaros and after the increase of the new Viper SRT-10 to 600 ponies and the Gt 500 getting in pair with Z06 I think this is well under way. Besides chevy has been comparing the last z06 to many supercars like the Enzo Lambo and Ford GT. I'll bet my money that they are planning to make the Vette a super car with the camaro running low under it and I would say that it will be a wise choice. Here is what they might introduce and what chevy might be planning, NoteI hold the idea that chevy will not put the z28 as top runner for camaro after 35 years of history. I would love to hear your ideas. Thank you.

1. Corvette 7.0 with 500 hp (base). Z06/SS with 700 hp accompanied by Camaro z28 6.0, 400hp (base V8) or option of 7.0 Camaro SS with 500 hp (so it can match the GT500)

2.Corvette 7.0 with 500 hp (base). Z06/SS with 700 hp acompanied by Camaro Z28 300 hp (base V8), SS 6.0 (400hp) and ZL1 7.0 L 500hp.

Of course this is all especulation but is what seems most likely after all the new changes in the market and especially if chevy wants to keep the Camaro against the Mustang.

Last edited by bboyxclub; 04-08-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think it should be like this:
V6 250hp
V8 base model between 380 to 400hp
V8 Z28 400hp
V8 SS 460hp
ZL1 600hp
Old 04-08-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

#1.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a stock gt500 is on par with the z51 packaged c6....not the z06...but i think if gm wants to compete...the v6 needs to have around 300...the z28 around 400 to 450...ss 450 to 550...then the vette at 600+
Old 04-08-2007, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

i hope the base model has atleast 420 hp, that would be a nice start.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Launching!

I hope they dont make the new camaros super heavy like the GT500's.
that would be killer to have a ZL1 model. But I somehow just dont see that being an option but you never know. Maybe they will comeout with a new engine something like a LS3 or something when they come out.
Id think they would make the V6 compareable to the V6 mustang and only make 200-250hp. Im sure we will see a 400hp V8 either ss or z28.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

To be perfectly honest, I don't want and can't afford a high-hp V8. All I want is a Camaro with like a 4.8L or 5.3L and a manual tranny. In yellow w/black stripes please, hold the leather. I'm fine with something with around 300hp, so a 'baby' V8 RS or LTZ model would be nice for guys like me who can't afford 30k cars. I'd like something in the current Mustang GT price range, but not a mustang. For all of you performance guys, there should be 400hp and 500~hp versions out there.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I read in another magazine about 1 month ago that the 6.2 l engine for the C6 is gonna hace 650hp for the Z06 and 550hp for the base C6.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Teching In

I'd like to see all of these models available, but I do not think they can make all of these different options and still be able to make the car. The tooling and costs to keep 5 engine choices and 3 or 4 transmissions in order would be too much. Just think back to the 80's when you had a base camaro, a berlinetta, an rs V6, rs V8, z28, iroc-z 5.0, iroc-z 5.7. Too many options. Give me a good base car w/ v6 and 2 V8 options and use the money from the extra tooling to make it handle well and keep the weight down.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dont think there goign to make the ss beat the z06 come on now
Old 04-09-2007, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Thumbs down

. I'm just looking for some nice realistic models a base V6 with numbers in the mid 200's, 5.3 with 325-350 horse and a 6.0 or 6.2 with around 400 for normal models. A 7.0 500hp special edition would be cool but its not something that most of us would be able to afford plus you know it'll get dealer markups like the GT500 to make it even more inaccessible to the normal guy.

The other thing about the G35's, 350's and new Supras having 300hp 6ers and the Camaro needing to have the same thing to compete doesn't make alot of sense because those cars are aiming a specific market there is no base model for some one who wants something a little sporty but doesn't want to pay the premium, let the v8 models spank those Japanese cars.

The Camaro needs to be compared to the mustang in a marketing sense and in order for it to survive and do well as a model it needs a few things. One a base model that doesn't break the bank or insurance premiums with too much hp but enough to have fun with because that is where a majority of the cars are destined for. Two make it more comfortable (like a GTO) the last gen's were crazy performers but you had to roll into the thing like a vette and it had a horribly long nose. If someone wanted a regular DD I could see for comfort reason why they would choice a mustang it was more like your everyday car in layout (the concept seems fine in this department)

Lastly make sure the V8's handle just as well as a 350 or the new supra or an evo make good use of the IRS if your gona stick us with it anyway. So now we can have a Camaro that looks great handles just as well as a Jap sports car but leaves it in the dust when it comes to power. Just make sure the V8's cost similarly or less to their Japanese counter parts and the will sell like wildfire. AND OF COURSE MAKE THEM RELIABLE no body will buy em if they are built cheap or look cheap inside or out.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RobA300
I'd like to see all of these models available, but I do not think they can make all of these different options and still be able to make the car. The tooling and costs to keep 5 engine choices and 3 or 4 transmissions in order would be too much. Just think back to the 80's when you had a base camaro, a berlinetta, an rs V6, rs V8, z28, iroc-z 5.0, iroc-z 5.7. Too many options. Give me a good base car w/ v6 and 2 V8 options and use the money from the extra tooling to make it handle well and keep the weight down.
....yes, that's all true, but wasn't GM making money off of the Camaro at that time? Didn't everyone think the IROC was the fricking **** back then? Plus, alot of parts were shared with the Firebird and some of the larger cars of the time, so the Camaro wasn't the only car using all those parts. I think that if GM plays their cards right, they could introduce several trim and performance levels without killing themselves in the process. This is why I think they'd be able to put the 5.3L in without spending a buttload of cash. The engine is in just about everything RWD coming out of GM, and, as of late, some FWD cars as well.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Probably 2 3.6L V6's, one w/ around 250 hp and one w/ DI and over 300 hp. I'd bet on an LS3 V8 as an engine option, as well.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SLP4CamaroSS
i dont think there goign to make the ss beat the z06 come on now
I'm not saying that the camaro will beat the z06 that will never happen. I'm saying that they will problably make the camaro compete with all mustangs and have the Corvette like a supercar. You know ford has the GT and the S7 why can't chevy do the same thing with the corvette and make it a dream car like ford has done? (I don't mean that (don't like fords), just the context of it).
Old 04-09-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
To be perfectly honest, I don't want and can't afford a high-hp V8. All I want is a Camaro with like a 4.8L or 5.3L and a manual tranny. In yellow w/black stripes please, hold the leather. I'm fine with something with around 300hp, so a 'baby' V8 RS or LTZ model would be nice for guys like me who can't afford 30k cars. I'd like something in the current Mustang GT price range, but not a mustang. For all of you performance guys, there should be 400hp and 500~hp versions out there.
Originally Posted by crazboy99
a stock gt500 is on par with the z51 packaged c6....not the z06...but i think if gm wants to compete...the v6 needs to have around 300...the z28 around 400 to 450...ss 450 to 550...then the vette at 600+

You are not getting my point marketing is not about letting people have something is making people "WANT" something. How many people can afford an S7 or GT or even less a GT500. Exactly a limited amount. Their big wins are in the V6 or GT but is all about publicity and the status quote it makes people want to have a car like "that". Can you imagine if the corvette goes a as a 700 hp for 150,000 or less that will be awesome of if the camaro comes out with 500hp in response to the GT500 and around the same prize. By the way the GT500 does bring 500 horses and therefore is in pair with the z06 and ford wanted it that way, and chevy made the mistake of letting them do it by letting the camaro go, back in 2002. (I know the z06 can overbeat the GT500). But how many people look at the variables that make this happen? That's right only us the hardcore car enthusiast very few compare to the overall public.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Andros
I read in another magazine about 1 month ago that the 6.2 l engine for the C6 is gonna hace 650hp for the Z06 and 550hp for the base C6.
I think this will be a great option to chevy like this if they make the 7.0 500hp Camaro is still under the Vette.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bboyxclub
You are not getting my point marketing is not about letting people have something is making people "WANT" something. How many people can afford an S7 or GT or even less a GT500. Exactly a limited amount. Their big wins are in the V6 or GT but is all about publicity and the status quote it makes people want to have a car like "that". Can you imagine if the corvette goes a as a 700 hp for 150,000 or less that will be awesome of if the camaro comes out with 500hp in response to the GT500 and around the same prize. By the way the GT500 does bring 500 horses and therefore is in pair with the z06 and ford wanted it that way, and chevy made the mistake of letting them do it by letting the camaro go, back in 2002. (I know the z06 can overbeat the GT500). But how many people look at the variables that make this happen? That's right only us the hardcore car enthusiast very few compare to the overall public.
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me there. So I SHOULDN'T HAVE a Camaro? Rather, I can just WANT at the SS all day long? So I guess that just because I don't want a V6, and the V8's you are proposing would be out of my price range that I shouldn't buy the product, even though I'm more than willing to spend a bit more for a small V8 if it was offered. It'd be unusual if a proper businessman ever turned someone down from a sale who wanted to pay MORE for a slightly different product. If I was a car maker, I'd be targeting as many people as I could effectively get to buy the car in numbers. I don't think it's such a big deal to offer a Camaro in price and performance relative to the Mustang GT. I don't want a V6 unless that sucker is powerful enough to make me forget about a small V8, aka turbo or whatever. Look, what I'm trying to say is, why can't there be a mid-level V8 in the mix? Why does the performance gap HAVE to be 150hp between engines? That's rediculous, and GM will see that there is a market to be had in that mid-level model. For example, they saw that most people were "happy enough" with a 4.8L in their pickups as compared to the 4.3L V6, and most didn't feel the need to get the 5.3L or 6.0L models.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me there. So I SHOULDN'T HAVE a Camaro? Rather, I can just WANT at the SS all day long? So I guess that just because I don't want a V6, and the V8's you are proposing would be out of my price range that I shouldn't buy the product, even though I'm more than willing to spend a bit more for a small V8 if it was offered. It'd be unusual if a proper businessman ever turned someone down from a sale who wanted to pay MORE for a slightly different product. If I was a car maker, I'd be targeting as many people as I could effectively get to buy the car in numbers. I don't think it's such a big deal to offer a Camaro in price and performance relative to the Mustang GT. I don't want a V6 unless that sucker is powerful enough to make me forget about a small V8, aka turbo or whatever. Look, what I'm trying to say is, why can't there be a mid-level V8 in the mix? Why does the performance gap HAVE to be 150hp between engines? That's rediculous, and GM will see that there is a market to be had in that mid-level model. For example, they saw that most people were "happy enough" with a 4.8L in their pickups as compared to the 4.3L V6, and most didn't feel the need to get the 5.3L or 6.0L models.
Yes you are somewhat right but still they do have available the 6.0 and 5.3 for those who want it , don't they? I just don't think is normal for chevy to have a stang trying to size up to a Vette and much less the z06. I think Ford has played smarter than chevy and now chevy should return the favor when returning Mustang most feared rival the Camaro.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, but EVERYONE but the Ford guys(and even then...) knows that the GT500 isn't a Z06 killer, it's just not that caliber of car. The Shelby doesn't perform with the likes of the Ford GT or Viper like the Z06 does, as repeated tests have shown. As it stands, the GT500 is just occupying its own little niche carved out by the 03/04 Cobras, you know, the less than a Corvette performance car area? The thing is, nobody but Ford really plays in that price range/category until the Challenger and a top level Camaro comes out.

I can only hope that DCX does an epic maneuver and throws the Viper V10 and 6-speed in and kill the GT500 like they did the Lightning. Hopefully we'll see a hopped up Chevrolet or Pontiac take charge!
Old 04-10-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

by the time all this happens the LSx engines will be at the end of their life cycle so it wont be any of those. all i know is Im getting a top dog camaro, i dont care what its called. o and on a side note, there isnt going to be a "resurection" of a corvette ss because there never was one, the vette was the only car not to get the SS label.

Quick Reply: The race for POWER!!!--Chevy Plans for 2010