Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

New DOHC V8 in Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New DOHC V8 in Camaro?

I've been thinking, are we all just blindly suggesting that the Camaro will get a pushrod engine like the LS3? Didn't GM say a brand spanking new V8 would debut in the Camaro that had been in none of their cars beforehand? I'm thinking that means the fabled/accursed DOHC V8 that they've been working so hard on behind the curtains. Anybody else think so?

As a secondary question, I'm wondering if this new DOHC will have more than four valves per cylinder as well. That'd be pretty sweet, a five or six valver! Imagine the exhaust note! It'd be like a Ferrari V8!
Old 07-07-2007, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

that would be disgusting
Old 07-07-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edwardswb
that would be disgusting

I second that. Alot of engineers and executives got together to decide whether or not they wanted to pursue the DOHC engines further when the LT5 corvette was out. So they decided to do a blind test. They got 2 corvettes that looked identicle, one had the LT5 engine in it and the other had an LT4. Long story short they all prefered the car that had the LT4 motor in it.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I know that the LT5 pretty much ended the thought of a DOHC engine in the vette/Camaro, but the entire industry has been ******* on them to switch over to the DOHC style, whether or not there would actually be any benefit to the change. Most, if not all of us Chevy guys abhor the idea of a DOHC in the Camaro, but it might just happen when we expect it the least...
Old 07-07-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it gets DOHC or anything less than a LS3 then I will be disipointed.
I want one really bad but if I'm disipointed I will just not buy the car as this would just be an extra car anyway. The pushrod engine seems to be doing just as good as the DOHC engine anyway. Why mess with that.
Also if its not the LS3 then it would have to be a lesser engine than the LS3 because thats whats in the Vette and there not going to put a better engine in the Camaro.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If they can make a OHC engine that is as cheap/light/physically small as the LSx engines, then more power to them, but I highly doubt it.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
the entire industry has been ******* on them to switch over to the DOHC style,
Not true. The 3800 and the LSX have been on wards 10 best engine's list before. The 3800 has a well known reputation for reliability and the LSX's legendary status need not be repeated here. ( I never though I'd say "meh" at 500hp, but thats the LSX for you )

Car reviewers who complain about roughness and lack of smooth power delivery on behalf of their readers and retards who suffer from newer-is-automatically-superior syndrome complain alot, but if their opinion counted for anything, Cam in block would have disappeared ages ago.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:27 AM
TECH Junkie

**** that ****!!!

W
Old 07-09-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brandonppr
The pushrod engine seems to be doing just as good as the DOHC engine anyway. Why mess with that.
GM is off hand the only company I can think of that still does OHV motors, what they are doing with them is pretty amazing.

In the 90s marketing might have been a reason to swap over, now how they are playing the retro card staying OHV might be wise. As the saying goes 2 things make a car fast sheer CI and tech. Gm is no doubt leading in OHV motors, plus they arn't too small either

Honestly, I just want to see what ever works and go fast be it a 1200 cc 3 cyl motor a 572 CI motor or what ever in between. So if GM has some badass DOHC we've not heard about drop it in!
Old 07-09-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
GM is off hand the only company I can think of that still does OHV motors, what they are doing with them is pretty amazing.
Chrysler's Hemi is OHV. Pretty sweet motor as well, but they're still way behind GM's LSx series of motors. 5.7L LS1 came out in 1997 with 345 hp, 2003, 5.7L Hemi, 345hp.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AronZ28
Chrysler's Hemi is OHV. Pretty sweet motor as well, but they're still way behind GM's LSx series of motors. 5.7L LS1 came out in 1997 with 345 hp, 2003, 5.7L Hemi, 345hp.
True, I worded myself poorly, I meant en mass. Chrysler uses the hemi and I think one or 2 motors for trucks.

Unless even re wording my statement i'm also wrong that someone else uses a bunch of OHV setups.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

I don't really know about that the LS1 GM made in 97 was for a vette it was meant for all out performance running on higher octane and what not. Chrysler's 5.7 Hemi was made for family veihcles so it had a different market. The other thing is the hemi makes 390tq the ls1 never make that much. I've seen some dyno charts of a 300c putting 300hp & 330tq to the wheels and remeber that is through an auto, IRS and running on regular with a compression ratio .5 lower than an ls1 all stock(with a tune though).
Old 07-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Default DOHC engine

First off. Hi Everyone. My first post here. Didn't know this forum existed.

Anyways on with the topic. I don't see any DOHC engines coming for the camaro. As other have said GM is doing great things with the LSx engines. Having both a LT5 and a LS1 in my vettes, The added weight from a DOHC engine along with the complexity of the engine are 2 good reasons why you will not find one in the camaro. When you can get the same or better performance out of a LSx engine and save weight and cost there is no reason to go DOHC. The DOHC can give the cool factor but you will pay with the added weight. Although the sound of a DOHC engine winding out Is an AWESOME sound.

Greg
Old 07-09-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
True, I worded myself poorly, I meant en mass. Chrysler uses the hemi and I think one or 2 motors for trucks.

Unless even re wording my statement i'm also wrong that someone else uses a bunch of OHV setups.
Chrysler has built a butt-load of Hemis since they first came out. Almost every single 1/2 ton truck has come with one. They've sold a ton of 300c's and Hemi powered chargers as well.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CaseyEaterMach1
I don't really know about that the LS1 GM made in 97 was for a vette it was meant for all out performance running on higher octane and what not. Chrysler's 5.7 Hemi was made for family veihcles so it had a different market. The other thing is the hemi makes 390tq the ls1 never make that much. I've seen some dyno charts of a 300c putting 300hp & 330tq to the wheels and remeber that is through an auto, IRS and running on regular with a compression ratio .5 lower than an ls1 all stock(with a tune though).
Good points, but GM beat DCX by 6 years in getting a new, modern V8 in their cars and trucks.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chrysler has built a butt-load of Hemis since they first came out. Almost every single 1/2 ton truck has come with one. They've sold a ton of 300c's and Hemi powered chargers as well.
But it's all the hemi, while even though tons of parts interchange, the LSX and LQ motors all are different setups.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I doubt they will use a DOHC in the camaro. In keeping the spirt going they will keep it a push-rod. I think what you may all be referring to is GM has been working on a motor with 2 cams in the block. This would be better for cam phasing/timing. They want the camaro to get 30 HWY MPGs so they might be looking at this as an option. Also this would be the next logical step in evolution for the GM small block. Would they keep it called "LS" most likely not since how they are running out fast with numbers to go with it, whtas left? LS5 LS8?

I really feel it will get the LS3 the first year then they may switch it up to **** off everyone who bought one the 1st year. Besides the Corvette is always GMs car to 1st introduce a new V8. Why would they start with the Camaro? The LS3 hasn't been out yet and its already overdue for a change. The LS3 is essentially a refined and larger LS2. They have reached about as far as they can take the LS motor, time to introduce something new to it, maybe 3valve/cylinder or maybe the 2cam deal. Also as a side note it probably wouldn't be 2cams like you think, it would probably be one inside another that way they could change overlap and timing of the valve events without changing the block architecture.

Last edited by B4CZR2; 07-10-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

I think there is no chance of a dohc engine going in the Camaro and that is a good thing nothing against GM the LSX platform is one of the best out there but their track record for dohc V-8 is horrible and I can sum that claim up with one word "Northstar". Plus all the American's are going pushrod Chrysler with the Hemi and Ford with its Hurricane 6.2 for trucks and hopefully one will find its way into a mustang as well.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

If they dump a pushrod into a Stang I will so get it if they keep the weight down!!!

W
Old 07-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Banned

I doubt that we will see a 32 valve 8 in the new F.

The trick engine in the new F, in my opinion, will be the base. Caddy put a 3.5 24 valve in their mid size hot rod Caddy. I think I remember a 14.3 in a 4100# vehicle at a little under 100 mph. If the car makes it past 5 years of production they need to sell some units.

Where are these cars being built? I've never seen the first peep of information on how many units they are projecting to make...........

Quick Reply: New DOHC V8 in Camaro?