Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

The Pride Of Ownership.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Pride Of Ownership.......

The past couple of weeks has seen several unauthorized photos leaked to the public -- they've all caught us by surprise -- and, as you know by now, Mr. Bob Lutz has ordered that we remove all the cammo off of the mules and early builds...and in fact Mr. Ed Peper is encouraging you to actively look for Camaros on the road and to take pics of them.....

The overwhelming response has been positive -- altho. the first couple of days after each picture hits the net -- we have some 'rough spots' -- in terms of comments and behavior.....

That is probably not a bad thing because -- in most cases (not all) people are passionate about this car............

I want everyone to think about something.....

There are a lot of GM's -- in fact the industry's finest -- working on this car.

We want this to be the best Camaro ever -- in terms of straight out performance-- in terms of ride and handling for every-day use -- but also the best in terms of handing on a road course as well. (some of you forget that the late 4th gen cars will STILL shame most of what's on the road today......regardless of price...) -- and we want it to be the best in terms of interior comfort and quietness.........

We want this Camaro to be a car you WANT to drive everyday -- no matter where you're going -- no matter what the traffic conditions are.... We want it to put a smile on your face everytime you open the door and get in and fire up the engine.

BUT -- (pay attention) -- we are concentrating on something else as well....

PRIDE OF OWNERSHIP.......

Yes -- PRIDE OF OWNERSHIP....

We want you to go out and climb into one of these new Camaros -- we want you to fire up the engine -- we want to actually SEE the look on your face as you floor the accelerator for the first time

(PUT THAT SEATBELT ON........) --

.......we want you to be so blown away that you can't write the check or sign the papers fast enough.

......we want to watch as you park it somewhere and turn around - time and time again -- as you walk away from it - with that sense of pride that says "Yup -- THAT'S ALL MINE! -- beware, all of you who drive something so inferior........"

We want you to enjoy the respect this car will bring to those of you who take it to the track...

We want people who may not even KNOW what a Camaro is -- to take one look -- and say "OMG -- what is that and where do I sign?"

We take this very seriously -- very seriously. Most of us were around to watch in mourning as the 4th gen 'rode off into the sunset' -- believe me -- you don't KNOW what pain that was for most of us -- you don't KNOW the sleepless nights -- and painful days. Yes -- it was very much like losing a child to some of us. (no -- I'm NOT kidding....)

So - just understand that we know there's a high expectation -- and we intend to meet those expectations. WE have a lot at stake here -- this is our livelihood -- and it's our PASSION............

Yup -- not everyone will like the console gages -- but for every one who doesn't like 'em, I -think we'll have at least one -- probably a lot more -- that think they're the 'cat's jammies." And another won't like the back-up lamps -- and another may not like the interior fabric....but we think that overall -- this Camaro is gonna BLOW YOU AWAY.................

So - enjoy the pics -- keep the CIVILIZED discussion going -- but PLEASE WAIT to draw final conclusions until after you've touched and felt a new Camaro in person.

'Nuff said for now.........
Old 01-05-2008, 02:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I can't wait to test drive one for the first time.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Launching!

I'm definitely holding off my final judgment until I sit inside one at the dealership and drive the **** out of it. That will decide whether I get one or not.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the write up. I agree, it's way to soon to draw any conclusions about this car. I am extremely excited about the 5th gen! It's highly unlikely I won't own one soon after it's released. I'm quite sure I'll be proud to own a new Camaro!!
Old 01-05-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

man this just got me all hyped up! i dont have complains on how it looks i cant wait to get in one and just drive it.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, Scott. That's music to my ears! I've always felt that owning an F-body should be a "special" experience. Kinda like owning a Vette, although that's a different fraternity altogether. I hope you guys plan on making this car as "customizeable" as possible. You know, cool heritage colors, graphics, wheel options, GMPP parts available at the start of sales. As much as I hate to admit it, Ford has done a great job of marketing the Mustang every opportunity it can. Can't wait to see how GM counters it!
Old 01-05-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

Great speech but when in the world will they release the specs!?
Old 01-05-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for this thread. I for one cannot wait for this car, no matter what it looks like or how it drives what materials are used, blah blah, I WANT IT NOW! I just hope it comes with that nifty little GM Performance badge
Old 01-05-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Well said Scott!

The white Camaro looks hot and I can't wait to take one for a test drive.

I just hope GM doesn't price the top Camaro model out of most peoples budgets. Dodge is selling the first Challengers for $38K and I think thats about $3K to high. I'm sure you as well as others are trying to figure out what to price these cars at. Have a lower price and you'll sell more cars overall.

2008 is going to be a very interesting year for Camaro info. I can't wait to see the drivetrain options and colors!

Bill
Old 01-05-2008, 06:19 PM

I cant wait to drool on one at the dealer. Too bad thats all I can do anymore. I was all gun ho about getting in line until the housing market crash. Now Ill just stare at a distance.

I LOVE whats been done with it so far. A real exhaust, IRS, sunroof, awsome styling and I like the console guages. Good job so far. Im also very suprised that it stayed almost identical to the concept. Great job there!
Old 01-05-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is good news, I just hope that it's not going to be overpriced.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post. Well said Scott!

I remember taking delivery of my new 1994 Z28 in May of 1994, and that feeling is just indescribable.
I can't wait to re-live that experience in spring 2009!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
The past couple of weeks has seen several unauthorized photos leaked to the public -- they've all caught us by surprise -- and, as you know by now, Mr. Bob Lutz has ordered that we remove all the cammo off of the mules and early builds...and in fact Mr. Ed Peper is encouraging you to actively look for Trans Am on the road and to take pics of them.....

The overwhelming response has been positive -- altho. the first couple of days after each picture hits the net -- we have some 'rough spots' -- in terms of comments and behavior.....

That is probably not a bad thing because -- in most cases (not all) people are passionate about this car............

There are a lot of GM's -- in fact the industry's finest -- working on this car.

We want this to be the best Trans Am ever -- in terms of straight out performance-- in terms of ride and handling for every-day use -- but also the best in terms of handing on a road course as well. (some of you forget that the late 4th gen cars will STILL shame most of what's on the road today......regardless of price...) -- and we want it to be the best in terms of interior comfort and quietness.........

We want this Trans Am to be a car you WANT to drive everyday -- no matter where you're going -- no matter what the traffic conditions are.... We want it to put a smile on your face everytime you open the door and get in and fire up the engine.

We want you to go out and climb into one of these new Trans Am -- we want you to fire up the engine -- we want to actually SEE the look on your face as you floor the accelerator for the first time

.......we want you to be so blown away that you can't write the check or sign the papers fast enough.

......we want to watch as you park it somewhere and turn around - time and time again -- as you walk away from it - with that sense of pride that says "Yup -- THAT'S ALL MINE! -- beware, all of you who drive something so inferior........"

We want you to enjoy the respect this car will bring to those of you who take it to the track...

We want people who may not even KNOW what a Trans Am is -- to take one look -- and say "OMG -- what is that and where do I sign?"

We take this very seriously -- very seriously. Most of us were around to watch in mourning as the 4th gen 'rode off into the sunset' -- believe me -- you don't KNOW what pain that was for most of us -- you don't KNOW the sleepless nights -- and painful days. Yes -- it was very much like losing a child to some of us. (no -- I'm NOT kidding....)

So - just understand that we know there's a high expectation -- and we intend to meet those expectations. WE have a lot at stake here -- this is our livelihood -- and it's our PASSION............

Yup -- not everyone will like the console gages -- but for every one who doesn't like 'em, I -think we'll have at least one -- probably a lot more -- that think they're the 'cat's jammies." And another won't like the back-up lamps -- and another may not like the interior fabric....but we think that overall -- this Trans Am is gonna BLOW YOU AWAY.................

So - enjoy the pics -- keep the CIVILIZED discussion going -- but PLEASE WAIT to draw final conclusions until after you've touched and felt a new Trans Am in person.

God told me to properly edit this
Old 01-05-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That right there tells me that we are on the same page. I felt a hundred flashbacks flow through me. Of me looking back at my Trans Am and saying to myself "my god your beautiful". You have reasured my trust in the New 5th gen CAMARO.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Hope it costs around 25k like a Stang GT.

And, give us the option of a turbo diesel!!! That new TD V8 looks awesome and would compliment this camaro perfectly!!!

I mainly bitch to try to get things changed before this is a production car.

W
Old 01-05-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks like you guys have some tricks up your sleeves...I LIKE IT!!! but with the whole test driving thing...I would be surprised if most of the dealorships will even allow it to go out for a drive unless youve signed something or put money down... also the question of the day! when will GM tell the world whats powering this beast?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice words Scott, but shouldn't GM, and all other car makers take this approach to every vehicle they build? Maybe that is why the Big 3 are hurting right now. The true Pride of Ownership needs to be as much in the GM factory before it reaches the showroom.

Of course in Hawaii, if you want to buy a new Camaro when they come out for sticker, you better know somebody. I am sure the dealers here will be ***-raping all prospective buyers.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the marketing BS. And by the way, a single period is all that proper grammar requires at the end of a sentence.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Teching In

The past couple of weeks has seen several unauthorized photos leaked to the public -- they've all caught us by surprise -- and, as you know by now, Mr. Bob Lutz has ordered that we remove all the cammo off of the mules and early builds...and in fact Mr. Ed Peper is encouraging you to actively look for Camaros on the road and to take pics of them.....

We want this to be the best Camaro ever -- in terms of straight out performance-- in terms of ride and handling for every-day use -- but also the best in terms of handing on a road course as well. (some of you forget that the late 4th gen cars will STILL shame most of what's on the road today......regardless of price...) -- and we want it to be the best in terms of interior comfort and quietness.........

We want this Camaro to be a car you WANT to drive everyday -- no matter where you're going -- no matter what the traffic conditions are.... We want it to put a smile on your face everytime you open the door and get in and fire up the engine.

We want you to go out and climb into one of these new Camaros -- we want you to fire up the engine -- we want to actually SEE the look on your face as you floor the accelerator for the first time

We want people who may not even KNOW what a Camaro is -- to take one look -- and say "OMG -- what is that and where do I sign?"

Yup -- not everyone will like the console gages -- but for every one who doesn't like 'em, I -think we'll have at least one -- probably a lot more -- that think they're the 'cat's jammies." And another won't like the back-up lamps -- and another may not like the interior fabric....but we think that overall -- this Camaro is gonna BLOW YOU AWAY.................

So - enjoy the pics -- keep the CIVILIZED discussion going -- but PLEASE WAIT to draw final conclusions until after you've touched and felt a new Camaro in person.

**** the new camaro, my Z28 will eat that **** up all day long.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Launching!

^That's a real nice way of putting it. Way to compare a highly modded car to a stock one. Thanks for contributing to the thread.

What a badass.

Quick Reply: The Pride Of Ownership.......