Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Camaro Goes Hybrid, As GM Axes Rear-Drive Impala, LaCrosse?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This reminds me of when a chunk of the muscle in Muscle Cars was removed in the earlier generations by politicians who hooked liability onto the automobile and insurance industry per horsepower. But HP liability is far more understandable than this BS. I keep hearing about how global warming is a political scam on the radio. It's outrageous enough to make me not vote for Hilary just knowing she served with Gore at the White House. Well, I wouldn't vote for her anyway. Heh.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, that Turbo Ecotec partnered with a six speed with a REALLY DEEP OVERDRIVE gear is starting to look better and better... Honestly, I'd buy even a detuned version....

I swear, if they jack up the price of the eights beyond reach, I'm not going to bother. I just want a small eight, around 350hp would be fine for me. Maybe they'll have a turbo six that makes that power...

Couldn't think of what turbo six that could be....

*cough*productionversionofHoldenalloytecTT36*cough *
Old 02-04-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Syclone354
So what does this do to the Mustang, the Challenger, Charger, G8, Solctice, etc? Why is rwd a bad thing? Does a Mazda Miata get a penalty for being rwd? Is Ford dropping the Mustang, is the new Challenger going to be $50k with a hemi?

Is GM just getting cold feet?
GM claims because of drivetrain loss a RWD car will average 1mpg less than a similar setup FWD car.
The Mustang is already in production, the Challenger is further into production than the Camaro, and gets to share its chassis with a few other cars in the Chrysler lineup, making it cheaper. The G8 is also already in production, its too late to take it back now.
Cars like the Miata and Solstice are right at, or under 3000lbs, and have weaker engines, giving them an advantage on gas milage. This is why Ive been saying from day 1 that GM needs to really put the Camaro on a diet, something like 3400lbs or lower would be ideal.

Now, the new turbocharged ecotech makes something like 260hp and 260llbs. The supercharged model was rated somewhere around 23 mpg city / 29 mpg hwy and i had read the turbo model was even better. I know gm has been working on a 3.6L (i think) v6 turbo with similar technology. They have the capability...
And that was in a 3200lbs FWD car...
The results would be much different in a 3900lbs car...
Now, if more people in this country bought chevy cobalt, ford focus, etc, rather than toyota, mazda, honda, etc we wouldnt even be having this discussion. I am seriously considering the new cobalt ss turbo model, when i was originally thinking about a gto or waiting for the camaro. why? gas mileage. I drive 250 miles a day + sometimes, and 18mpg highway aint gonna cut it at $3 a gallon for 87. I need a nice car, i couldnt stand driving a plain jane civic everyday, but i also gotta mind the budget. Ive got my Syclone for the guzzling of gas
You do know that 4th gen LS1 fbodies with the t56 get 27+mpg hwy right? The GTO gets something like 25... Thats not that bad.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You do know that 4th gen LS1 fbodies with the t56 get 27+mpg hwy right? The GTO gets something like 25... Thats not that bad.
Highway isn't overall or average consumption though.

My GTO averages 16-18mpg per tank overall and my Grand National averaged 12-16mpg per tank overall.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by hc8719
A turbo doesn't save gas, it makes it possible for cars to get a good bit more HP, with relatively the same fuel economy as a non-turbo'd naturally aspirated engine counterpart.
But they still consume plenty of gasoline. Therein lies the rub.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

"higher-end V-8 versions likely will be priced higher than expected"

....where does that say anything about a base V8 being $40K

Yall need some cheese to go with your whine lol.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

GM is going to get it stuck in their ***..Raise the Premium on the V-8's plus dealer markup..Do you really want to pay 50k for a Camaro?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

It's not just the new fuel economy standards, it's $3.00 a gallon gas. The market has shifted back to economy from performance and supersize luxury - just like it did in the 70's. Overall, it's a bad time for GM to introduce a new Camaro. But they're too far into it to turn back now.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
"higher-end V-8 versions likely will be priced higher than expected"

....where does that say anything about a base V8 being $40K

Yall need some cheese to go with your whine lol.
Not trying to be a stick in the mud but...

Where do you see or have CURRENT CONFIRMATION from your "inside contacts" that the base V8 will be anywhere close to 30K at this point?

Base V8 Camaro will be low to mid 30K especially after the "market adjustments" that the stealers will hit the car with...further damaging the reputation of the Camaro as an affordable performance icon.

**** go find a solstice GXP for its base price of 28K...in these parts they are dealer optioned and market adjusted to 35K at the local pontiac dealer

I feel the Camaro will suffer from the same if not worse treatment from the dealers. Consumers lose, and the Camaro dies. At this rate I can see the V6 Camaro going for 26-27K easily which is laughable.

I bought my Formula for 22K....man those were the days.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Seriously the Impy should go thru...Turbo Diesel and hybrid engines could make up the lineup.

And build Turbo Diesel and Hybrid versions of the camaro along with an offered LS3 and V6.

However, GM has put themselves in this predicament...they made the camaro too damn heavy!!!

W
Old 02-05-2008, 03:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
GM claims because of drivetrain loss a RWD car will average 1mpg less than a similar setup FWD car.
dear god, 1mpg for the best drivetrain of any sports car. they need to realize what the enthusiasts demand and work with them and the regulations. seriously 1mpg is nothing.

this "regulation" scare is getting too big of a deal. i cant wait until i build a BBC that even only gets 2mpg just to have that **** you to the government sound.

btw anyone think that under development axed off V8 was the LS8?

Last edited by Revelation Z28; 02-05-2008 at 03:39 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats the expected Curb Weight for the new Camaro?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=2000Firehawk;8634882]http://www.thecarconnection.com/blog/?p=759

General Motors has been forced to rework the investment case for the Chevrolet Camaro in the wake of new fuel-economy rules adopted this past December.
The Camaro will still be built, but higher-end V-8 versions likely will be priced higher than expected. As for other planned GM rear-drivers–a new Chevrolet Impala, Buick LaCrosse and the replacement for the Pontiac G8 due this spring–all have been dropped along with a new V-8 engine GM was contemplating building.
“You can’t kill something that was never approved,” said one GM official, who asked for anonymity but who confirmed the rear-wheel-drive projects are now dead.

I believe this is BS... they are already shipping the G8, Motor Trend just did an article on it. It is a V8... and it is rear wheel drive.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:17 AM
10 Second Club

I also heard that they are bringing the Ute over from Holden as a pontiac model. v8 rwd also...
Old 02-05-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Veteran

To the EPA:
****. YOU.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
It's not just the new fuel economy standards, it's $3.00 a gallon gas. The market has shifted back to economy from performance and supersize luxury - just like it did in the 70's. Overall, it's a bad time for GM to introduce a new Camaro. But they're too far into it to turn back now.
so if it's the $3 gas, then ur saying that people are buying fewer suv's, full sized pick-ups, sports cars, high powered sedans... i don't think so. look at all the bhp ratings over the last 5-10 years, it looks like another horsepower revolution to me! hell, u can get a honda accord with like 260 hp. dodge has their srt line, chevy their SS line, cadi the V, pontiac the gtp, BMW the M, Mercedes the AMG,...how many of us drive our f-bodies less? i don't!
as far as bad timing, maybe a bit late, but i don't believe that 'the market has shifted to economy from performance and supersize luxury'. Are they 'too far into it to turn back now'? there is still time for them to cave under the pressure of the government. this would be a none issue if the federal government didn't have it's fingers in the private sector.

btw, not trying to belittle you, i just disagree with your post.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:56 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield

My GTO averages 16-18mpg per tank overall and my Grand National averaged 12-16mpg per tank overall.
"per tank" is useless information and is nothing more than an individual's average. It has no meaning towards the average consumption of a car model as a whole. You have to take MPG at a set speed over an extended period of time to compare. The only way to do that is highway, unless you can drive stoplight to stoplight accelerating the exact same every time in every car and have every driver do it the same without variation. Personal driving style, red lights, other drivers, there are too many variables for individuals to compare anything other than highway mileage

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 02-05-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield

I wrote that because he specifically said "highway":
"I drive 250 miles a day + sometimes, and 18mpg highway aint gonna cut it at $3 a gallon for 87."
Old 02-05-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

GM has said all along that Camaro will be priced competitively with equivalent Mustangs.
Until they say something else, that is the bottom line.

From another site regarding this article:
Originally Posted by Fbodfather
All purely conjecture on the part of the author.

Oshawa will be a flex-plant -- so we'll be able to build other vehicles in that plant.

CAFE changes everything...........but right now, no one on the outside knows what we're going to do...........
Old 02-05-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

I don't get it, I've seen commercials of many new gas economy cars they are supposed to be producing, including one's that need no gas, or the plug in electric cars (the volt looks awsome)...so why are they so worried, unless all those commercials where just of concept cars that they never planned to produce and just did the concepts for the spotlight?