Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

l99 vs ls3

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 03:12 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,693 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Slayn
Why all the hate against AFM? It is practically the same engine just with a MPG feature. You lose hardly any HP at all and if you mod the car it will probably be the first thing out the door.
Because it's a 20hp penalty, plus it just complicates things (like custom tuning required to remove it, future cam mods). I'm sure we'd all rather just have an LS3 with the A6. Just think about it, if GM is saying the the 400hp L99 auto trans cars will be faster than the 420+hp LS3 manual cars, then the auto cars would be considerably faster than the manuals with the same 420+hp LS3. I could care less about a couple MPG, if I was worried about that, I wouldn't be in the market for a V8 Camaro anyway. They make Cobalts for those people.

Originally Posted by Slayn
I dont want options really just as long as its leather and not cloth interior on the cheaper SS. I hate cloth.
I used to think this way. Now I'd much rather have cloth. It wears much better over time, and is much more comfortable in temperature extremes. I'll always pick cloth, if avaliable.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another thing to deal with is how would a s/c or turbo work with AFM>.>. Whats the A6 rated at hp wise anyway? The tranny i mean
Old 08-23-2008, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 08 Vette with the A-6 and the Z-51 and I can tell you that torque managment takes over on a dead launch BIG time. I have even taken the car to LG Motorsport and had them take out as much as he could and yet if you stomp this car from a dead stop you can fell it BIG time hesitate!
As far as what Nine Ball said the paddle shifters ARE a joke they are slow and if you think they will speed up your time well be ready to be disapointed. Some of the Vette Guys think they are the bomb and they are fast, but most Vette drivers wouldnt know what fast is.
That being said my 08 A-6 Vette should run low low 12's as it is with a ram air kit and a tune it put down almost 400 rwhp and rwtq. In a 3300# car it is wicked fast. I have outrun a Viper and a run with a 505 RWHP Cobra till 120 when I walked away.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Just think about it, if GM is saying the the 400hp L99 auto trans cars will be faster than the 420+hp LS3 manual cars, then the auto cars would be considerably faster than the manuals with the same 420+hp LS3.
Thats a great point.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Why not make the car lighter instead? The LS3 C6 gets better mileage without DOD.

DOD =
That is what I thought until my dad bought an 08 6.0 silverado. I love borrowing that thing. Your average non-gear head can't even tell when it is active and when it is not. You can tell only by the sound of it popping on and off (the truck has a louder exhaust, you can't really tell when it's stock). It does not activate unless you are at a steady speed with a very very light throttle position or you are slowing down. Watching the instant fuel economy hit 35mpg at 50mph in a loaded extended cab truck on 20's is cool. At 55mph it gets about 20-21mpg on the highway.

The whole idea GM had makes sense. If someone wants a new camaro for all out performance, they are getting the LS3 with a manual. If they will settle for an auto, they might as well equip it with DoD. You seriously won't notice it after a while. It is weird at first but you adjust your driving style to keep it in 4cyl mode.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Actually the best tuning for the AFM would to increase the throttle percentage cutoff for AFM from 5% to 11%. G8 guys are gaining both 30 hp and 3-4mpg with this.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Teching In

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=129496

Actually, the automatic is 3 tenths quicker from 0-60 and a tenth quicker in the quarter than the stick! Is this the first production car ever where the auto is quicker than the manual? Plus the L99 has variable valve technology, like VTEC + large V8. Hopefully the aftermarket tuners can exploit even more power with the variable valve technology.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SubSolar
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=129496

Actually, the automatic is 3 tenths quicker from 0-60 and a tenth quicker in the quarter than the stick! Is this the first production car ever where the auto is quicker than the manual? Plus the L99 has variable valve technology, like VTEC + large V8. Hopefully the aftermarket tuners can exploit even more power with the variable valve technology.
I hadn't heard that it has VVT only AFM. If it does have vvt then things could get interesting.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by enginjoe
I hadn't heard that it has VVT only AFM. If it does have vvt then things could get interesting.
Check out page 8 of this brochure:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6040

"L99 engine incorporates Active Fuel Management (AFM) and Variable Valve Timing (VVT) for optimized valve timing and improved fuel economy"
Old 09-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every time I read something about this car, I get more and more pissed off at GM.

It's bad enough the car tips the scales at over 3900 lbs for no good reason, but they stick the A6 with an L99 and AFM, all for a blisteringly pathetic 23 highway mpg? My car gets that with mixed driving, and it's running pig rich. Absolutely pathetic. I predict a HUGE bomb on our hands. GM just doesn't get it. AT ALL. They abandoned their fanbase to try to appeal to a bunch of people who would never buy a V8 with $4/gal gasoline to begin with
Originally Posted by 383ss
do you seriously think GM did not make this car as light as they possibly could?
Absolutely not!

The Mustang weighs 400 lbs less with its heavy 3V mod motor. The Mustang is still a very large car, has a big, heavy engine, but weighs 400 lbs less and costs less money. Why can't GM do it? The LS3 is very light and compact for its size. There is NO excuse for this ridiculous weight and HUGE body size. If I wanted to drive something big and heavy shaped like a brick that gets terrible gas mileage, I'd buy a Trailblazer.

This thing weighs as much as a damn GT500 with its HUGE mod motor, heavy drivetrain and supercharger. It's embarrassing. The only difference is the GT500 would destroy this car in a race bone stock, is much more easily modified for a lot less money, much more responsive to those mods and will probably not cost a whole lot more. ARGH!
Old 09-07-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Every time I read something about this car, I get more and more pissed off at GM.

It's bad enough the car tips the scales at over 3900 lbs for no good reason, but they stick the A6 with an L99 and AFM, all for a blisteringly pathetic 23 highway mpg? My car gets that with mixed driving, and it's running pig rich. Absolutely pathetic. I predict a HUGE bomb on our hands. GM just doesn't get it. AT ALL. They abandoned their fanbase to try to appeal to a bunch of people who would never buy a V8 with $4/gal gasoline to begin with

Absolutely not!

The Mustang weighs 400 lbs less with its heavy 3V mod motor. The Mustang is still a very large car, has a big, heavy engine, but weighs 400 lbs less and costs less money. Why can't GM do it? The LS3 is very light and compact for its size. There is NO excuse for this ridiculous weight and HUGE body size. If I wanted to drive something big and heavy shaped like a brick that gets terrible gas mileage, I'd buy a Trailblazer.

This thing weighs as much as a damn GT500 with its HUGE mod motor, heavy drivetrain and supercharger. It's embarrassing. The only difference is the GT500 would destroy this car in a race bone stock, is much more easily modified for a lot less money, much more responsive to those mods and will probably not cost a whole lot more. ARGH!
I'm with you on the weight thing. They screwed that up bad.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SubSolar
Check out page 8 of this brochure:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6040

"L99 engine incorporates Active Fuel Management (AFM) and Variable Valve Timing (VVT) for optimized valve timing and improved fuel economy"
Thanks, I missed that detail when I read that brochure. Yay we get v-tech! Actually, on a serious note, this is a good thing. People are already working on tuning the vvt motors and are having some success.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Teching In

I have a 2009 pontiac g8 gxp with the automatic... i get the ls3 with the a6 no l99 here.. but there is a 1700.00 gas tax...lol another thing is the crazyness on the g8 board to get the m6 for the gxp... but with the a6 and ls3, i stomped a m6 gxp ,"they have the 3.70 rear gear".. all the way to 120 and he was behind me still... the first gear in the a6 at 4.03 and the 3.27 rear gear is a beast. really pulled on the m6 gxp hard in first, we raced from a roll 5-10mph, i had my shifter in manual 1 , when i nailed it,not much bogging at all, i quickly shifted left then right to be in sport mode.

Does seem crazy that the camaro with the auto gets the l99.. and the g8 gxp gets the full ls3 the weight differance is really not that much 100-200lbs... so all you m6 camaro ss guys with the 3.43 gearing had better watch out for a auto or manual gxp. Better hope you dont have a passenger or you will see a 4-door sedan slowly walk away
Old 07-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369

Absolutely not!

The mustang doesn't meet the new safety standards coming out in 2012. The Camaro already does. When the mustang does look for it to pork up nicely.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Teching In

The biggest advantage for the L99 is VVT. Wait until you see how much power can be made with little to know loss of low end performance. There was a great article in GMHTP awhile ago about Comp Cams and there research on I think the L76 V8. They were getting up to 69RRWHP without giving up perfromance anywhere. This isn't possible without VVT. I can't wait to see what they do for the L99.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
None of those are sport cars, not even close...
If I recall correctly, the grand national was faster than the vette...and not by a small margin
Old 09-21-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterGiggleJuice
If I recall correctly, the grand national was faster than the vette...and not by a small margin
and what does that have to do with anything?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

ok this thread was resurrected...so I'm chiming in...
GN is bad ****...I have one and love it.
my 2010 SS/RS is a L99 car...L99 is an LS3 just with the whole V-4 afm going on. some ls7 lifters a tune and new cam and you are an ls3.
I'm beta testing mine with Hypertech right now and one of the most interesting things I've learned is when the afm/v4 is disabled, you only drop 1-2 mpg on my car at 75mph on cruise control.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:13 PM

Default On the phone?

Originally Posted by mglooper
well the l99 puts out less horespower but i did think that they were just as fast. i wish i could just get the ls3 with the auto but doesnt look like that will happen. ive driven a manual and automatic and i get tired of shifting gears all the time ecspecially when im on the phone
I thought all new Camaros have the Blutooth set up into the Handsfree? Unless your cell phone still has an antenna or comes in a box, you have Bluetooth and can jst "talk into the air"......
Old 12-02-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mglooper
well the l99 puts out less horespower but i did think that they were just as fast. i wish i could just get the ls3 with the auto but doesnt look like that will happen. ive driven a manual and automatic and i get tired of shifting gears all the time ecspecially when im on the phone
Man I hated that! lol Thats why I am swaping to auto

Quick Reply: l99 vs ls3