General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1 F body or a WRX Sti???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008 | 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

wrxtech?.......nope, get an ls1
Old 10-14-2008 | 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know 3 local guys with sti's, all three of them blew there motors, and one of them actually burnt all the way to the ground. To me they just dont seem reliable.
Old 10-14-2008 | 10:53 PM
12 Second Club
LS1Tech 10 Year

STI's are nice cars. But I would say LS1 without looking back considering the price difference.
Old 10-14-2008 | 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

thats quite the rhetorical question. f-boy for sure!
Old 10-14-2008 | 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lwclsswhitetrash
thats quite the rhetorical question. f-boy for sure!
perv...
Old 10-15-2008 | 10:06 AM
Teching In

I have a 2005 Legacy GT 2.5 turbo 5MT. Fun car, nice, WAY cheaper to insure than an STI with similar power levels and cheap to make the same power.

As a DD I would drive the Subaru, for a weekend toy F-body. So if you are just looking for a weekend toy the Subaru makes a poor choice IMHO and I am a real Suabru fan. I am learning about LS1 F-bodies specifically because I want something as an inexpensive weekend toy.
Old 10-15-2008 | 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by *98TransAm*
perv...
??? perv???

BTW I love your sig quote I actually sent it to my sister...too funny!
Old 10-15-2008 | 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get a F-body.....hands down
Old 10-15-2008 | 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=As a DD I would drive the Subaru, for a weekend toy F-body. So if you are just looking for a weekend toy the Subaru makes a poor choice IMHO and I am a real Suabru fan. I am learning about LS1 F-bodies specifically because I want something as an inexpensive weekend toy.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! My roomate is a big subie fan.. He's got a 2000 wrx - but he knows it's got nothin on an ls1!
Old 10-15-2008 | 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

They're both fast cars but the subaru is ugly.
Old 10-15-2008 | 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

GO F-Body = Trans Am.
Old 10-18-2008 | 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

okay, first off, let me state that my opinion is such being a proud former and future owner of an f-body, and also a Subaru tech.

STI:
stock, they are running roughly 14psi of boost. that is absolutely insane for a stock application. How much more of boost can you really put through that engine before it comes apart? Answer; not much. I have seen MANY stock to slightly modified STIs come in literally dropping engine parts as they come in. The turbo impeller shafts on those cars suck, overload them, and they explode immediately draining your oil into your exhaust. The bottom ends, or middle ends in those cars, are weak to say the least. A shattered connecting rod is not uncommon. Knocking can start as early as 50k and Subaru will tell you that is normal. Transmissions are weak, both 5 and 6 speed. 6s are better, but still junk. The 5spds have a plastic gear the drives the speedo sensor that does not withstand much over 70mph, requiring you to split your tranny open in order to replace it, an 8 hour job for the experienced. Wheel bearings on all Subarus SUCK!!! they break like crazy and are pricy to replace. The price for STIs are out of this world. 25k or 8-15k for far more power and WAY more potential. Think about it, how fast would an LS1 be if it had 14lbs of boost on it? stock for stock the LS1 wins, aftermarket, the LS1 wins.

LS1:
Probably one of the best series of engine GM has ever produced. A car designed with the aftermarket in mind. When the LS1 was developed, it was given a block rated for far more than stock, a crank rated for 700+hp, a fantastic t-56 transmission (at least compared to a STIs), and parts that are WAY WAY WAY cheaper than Subaru's. You can beat on this car a bit and it can take it. It is very unlikely that you will be towing it back to the dealer at 40k miles with a completely destroyed engine.

Wayne, Subaru Tech
Old 10-18-2008 | 04:30 PM
Teching In

I've owned both and enjoyed both. I bought an 06 STI off the showroom floor and took it out the same night to the street races in Reno. With 12 miles on it I began driving it like I intended to the entire time of owning it. The 6 speed is not a weak transmission but the clutch is. The Mitsubishi Evo has the weak transmission. The STI is an awesome car but hard to own, maintain and repair. Insurance ran me $265 a month on top of a $600 dollar payment, given I am only 23, hence the high insurance rate. Also anytime you buy replacement parts you are buying import items much more expensive. I purchased a 2000 Pontiac Trans Am for 7K last summer and I love it. The 6 speed shifts great, now that I have removed the "Skip Shift", all around a great car. Awesome power with out the high cost of owning. I will admit the STI cornered much nicer but honestly how often do you race someone down a mountain road. More than likely its on a strip or from a stop light. The Trans Am only costs me about $145 a month for insurance and is nearly paid off with a third of the cost to own. Needless to say I like the Trans Am better. The styling is great and the T-Tops give a real feel to the ride. Good power and leaves you money to play with.

Last edited by mudvayne_03; 10-18-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-18-2008 | 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fbodyforever
okay, first off, let me state that my opinion is such being a proud former and future owner of an f-body, and also a Subaru tech.

STI:
stock, they are running roughly 14psi of boost. that is absolutely insane for a stock application. How much more of boost can you really put through that engine before it comes apart? Answer; not much. I have seen MANY stock to slightly modified STIs come in literally dropping engine parts as they come in. The turbo impeller shafts on those cars suck, overload them, and they explode immediately draining your oil into your exhaust. The bottom ends, or middle ends in those cars, are weak to say the least. A shattered connecting rod is not uncommon. Knocking can start as early as 50k and Subaru will tell you that is normal. Transmissions are weak, both 5 and 6 speed. 6s are better, but still junk. The 5spds have a plastic gear the drives the speedo sensor that does not withstand much over 70mph, requiring you to split your tranny open in order to replace it, an 8 hour job for the experienced. Wheel bearings on all Subarus SUCK!!! they break like crazy and are pricy to replace. The price for STIs are out of this world. 25k or 8-15k for far more power and WAY more potential. Think about it, how fast would an LS1 be if it had 14lbs of boost on it? stock for stock the LS1 wins, aftermarket, the LS1 wins.

LS1:
Probably one of the best series of engine GM has ever produced. A car designed with the aftermarket in mind. When the LS1 was developed, it was given a block rated for far more than stock, a crank rated for 700+hp, a fantastic t-56 transmission (at least compared to a STIs), and parts that are WAY WAY WAY cheaper than Subaru's. You can beat on this car a bit and it can take it. It is very unlikely that you will be towing it back to the dealer at 40k miles with a completely destroyed engine.

Wayne, Subaru Tech
Awesome post!
Old 10-18-2008 | 05:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mogg
After reading all of your guys' post, I am leaning more towards the F-body. The car is going to be cheaper for me to maintain, and I can do basic engine maintenance on them at home so that's a plus.

If I had a full time job, I probably would have jumped on the Subaru, but I only have a part time gig for now.

I am going to go and test drive a WS6 this weekend to see how it feels, but I'd like to get either that or an SS Camaro.

Either way I am looking forward to owning one.

I'd consider a C5 coupe, but I am looking for something with at least 4 seats and somewhat practical too.

Thanks for the input guys.
Consider the f-body a 2 seater the back seat is only good for shopping bags or folding down so you can fit a bicycle back there. Only a small person can fit back there. But you should see for your self on the test drive. Good luck
Old 10-21-2008 | 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

torque=anti-wrx
Old 11-04-2008 | 01:14 AM
12 Second Club

Haha it didn't take long for a forum full of LS1 owners to convince a Subie lover. I love both cars too but I'm more into the 02-03 rexes than the STis. To me, turbo 6speed cars are amazing. Even if they run high 13s they just feel so much more powerful than my Formula. It really just comes down to how fast you wanna go and how deep you're willing to dig in your pockets to get it that fast. When I was buying my car, I thought..okay...what platform is going to get me into the 10s quicker? It was over. I bought my bird. If you just wanted a fun 12 second car that made you smile everytime you drove it, I'd go STi. If you want a car that's not afraid to kick *** in a straight line, f body.
Old 11-04-2008 | 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

btw you talk you mgiht as well get an 01-02 vette
Old 11-04-2008 | 01:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mogg
It's people like you that deter me from getting an American car at all, because I prefer not to associate myself with tools like you.

But, I know you are in the minority either way.

And again, I think a lot of you are confusing the WRX with the WRX Sti, two completely different cars. I am not saying that the Sti's are not prone to breaking, but its far more unlikely for that to happen than on a WRX.

I am not ruling out the regular Z28s or T/A's either, but I prefer the SS for looks and suspension, and it doesn't cost that much more than a used Z.
American drive v8s, im not saying rice cant be fast but put a turbo a 4banger sure u can make some horse enough to beat v8s, but put a turbo on a v8 then what ? i dont have the skills or the tools to doa turbo but if u bought and f-body and u had the money for a wrx sti then you could pay someone to put a turbo or supercharger on it and hardly no rice could touch u
Old 11-04-2008 | 07:02 AM
11 Second Club

These threads are pointless. Of course people at LS1tech will tell you to get the LS1. Post this on an STI site and I bet almost everyone there says to get the STI. Then at the end of the day you'll still buy the one you like better regardless of what any of us say.

So buy the LS1 all ready

Quick Reply: LS1 F body or a WRX Sti???