General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Recovered My Stolen Car! But Will Not Start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awesome you found it dude. 1k or however much would be nothing compared to losing my car, holy ****. I hope they find the **** ******* that stole it.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Move to texas so you can shoot the fu(kers. Rig your alarm up to an airhorn.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by samson_420
It should cost you about 500 Bucks to do the repairs yourself.

I was talking about the insurance estimate < which is quite a bit higher than that.
Ah I see... well, I doubt I could do it myself, I honestly do not know where to start since not am I only not mechanically inclined, but electrical **** confuses me even more. This is why I'm posting my question in this thread though.

Originally Posted by the_merv
I'd have it checked for some decent Fingerprints before I started messing with it..
I asked the officer that was with the car if it was possible... she said they can only get it off of windows, and there weren't any to be found on the windows.

Originally Posted by Jmagliola
All you need is a certain kind of resistor - put it inline with the vats system (I think the two wires are orange) and it bypasses the "security" chip. The little thing in your key is actually just a resistor.

If you want, tomorrow I'll take pics of my fuses so u can match them up
Hm really? Can't say that I've seen any orange wires, but there were pieces of black and red wires that were cut, whatever they did sure worked. They started the car up somehow, but I don't know how, because it will not work with my key in the ignition, I'm guessing they have some kind of special way to crank the motor? By the way, when I actually turn the key to start the car, the "springy" resistance feeling is gone when I turn it all the way, if you know what I mean. Pictures of the fuses would be very nice... thanks.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:17 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah...I'm guessing they broke the column to get it to start so the key is not needed until you fix or replace the column. Once these older GM columns are broken in order to steal the car they won't start with the key until fixed. That would explain the lack of springy resistance.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would NEVER want a stolen car recovered. Sorry man.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have any cut wires under the dash? I could not tell from the pics. I just got done rewiring a car that the same thing happen to. I rewired the wires that were cut and had the car start back up. After I went in and deleted some DTC's code and a figureing out a Vats code. The car theft system is still active.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RsSean
Do you have any cut wires under the dash? I could not tell from the pics. I just got done rewiring a car that the same thing happen to. I rewired the wires that were cut and had the car start back up. After I went in and deleted some DTC's code and a figureing out a Vats code. The car theft system is still active.
Not that I know of, there were wires cut under the hood... red and black, but I'll check under the dash again to make sure and take pictures with a better cam soon. The whole steering column is screwed too, and I don't know what they did, but like I said, the whole 'springy' resistance feeling when you turn the key all the way is gone. BTW, my power locks do not work either... could that have anything to do with it? Key fob is pretty much useless too, can't lock or unlock, or even open the trunk with it.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

I would let someone with the know how repair this...

But to answer a question... recovery cars are considered a total loss only when the insurance company has already paid out on the claim, or if the damages exceed the value of the car.

Congrats on getting her back, and hope all goes well with the fix.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Wiring isn't too bad.. I've done enough of it to prety much get the general idea.

What you have is fixable, you are going to put some work into it. But it does help if you've seen it all together..
Old 11-02-2008, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bamxbam
Not that I know of, there were wires cut under the hood... red and black, but I'll check under the dash again to make sure and take pictures with a better cam soon. The whole steering column is screwed too, and I don't know what they did, but like I said, the whole 'springy' resistance feeling when you turn the key all the way is gone. BTW, my power locks do not work either... could that have anything to do with it? Key fob is pretty much useless too, can't lock or unlock, or even open the trunk with it.
This most likely has to do with your fuses...
Old 11-02-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've dealt with column replacement on F-body's along with wiring fixing(as i went to school for auto tech and also work with GPS wiring in Metro Vehicles) and i'd say if you get a deal on a new column and the wiring isn't ripped or cut you may be fine. Have somebody take a look at their fuse covers and pics of their fuse boxes and determine which ones need to be replaced. Or check out your owners manual if you still have it. if that fails, run to a dealer and see if they can get you the list Then as for the column. is it BROKE or did they just break the tumbler and ignition? or did they actually bust up the column?
Old 11-02-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

also i noticed in thos pics that there isn't TWO contacts for the fuses in the underhood boxes. Only one i see that has 2 contacts is the dash one and it's the spot on the far right. See when you pull out a fuse is has to have a metal contact on BOTH sides of the fuse as the current travels thru it. In the pic, only 1 fuse under the hood that would be missing has this, The other spots don't have a 2nd wire in the open fuse spot, suggesting that that fuse isn't used or they popped the wire out(unlikely as it would make it harder to get to the wire) They could just use a jumper wire to stick into the fuse post spot.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

I can't tell from the others as i don't have any head on shots to see what ones have contact points but here's an example of what i'm saying above. The ones that aren't used there "could" be 2 fuses there but no extra contact points on the right side of the fuse spot. Hope this helps at least a little
Old 11-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
Then as for the column. is it BROKE or did they just break the tumbler and ignition? or did they actually bust up the column?
pardon my noobness, but what would the difference be? if they busted the plastic parts around the steering wheel, exposing the wires, would taht mean the whole steering column is broke? the ignition is broken for sure from what i can tell
Old 11-02-2008, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

They must have disabled the vatts or bypassed it somehow. Probably started before the ignition and thats why your key doesn't work.

Atleast you got it back. Also, you have to think about buying the two rims/tires to replace your zr1's. I think you might get out cheaper claiming it on the insurance and you wouldn't have to worry about it not getting fixed correctly.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Launching!

I plan on getting estimates for everything possible first before claiming it on insurance since I have a $1000 deductible, so if it'll take more than that to fix everything wrong, I'll need insurance to kick in. Do you guys think insurance will pay for the mismatched rims and tires since they were the result of theft? Also should I expect insurance to pay for a new stereo too since it is also missing due to theft? They already let me know that all of my personal belongings (tools, mp3 player, etc) are not covered so I'm already at a loss on those items.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I hate these damn thieves
Old 11-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
I hate these damn thieves
Word. They deserve to have their hands chopped off when caught. slowly. with butterknives.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bamxbam
Word. They deserve to have their hands chopped off when caught. slowly. with butterknives.
dull butterknives, i hate ppl who steal or even damage cars!
Old 11-02-2008, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

so they give you C5 wheels???

Quick Reply: Recovered My Stolen Car! But Will Not Start.