General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Not another "im Bored" thread but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
If one out of every ten posts on this thread are negative then people just aren't happy with these cars..It's that simple....
Being the simple guy that I am, I like simple things.

But simply put, if one out of 10 people are not happy with their car, it also means that 9 out of those 10 people have nothing to complain about.

Right?

Especially since most of the 1 out of 10 people cause those problems themselves.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
How long have you been beating your Lexus up?

I bought my 1992 sc400 with 91,000 miles on it in the year 2000, one year later I mod'd it out completely, with all the bolt ons and a 150 shot of nitrous... I've been hammering and I mean really hammering it constantly for the last 7 years... 60,000 miles i have put on it to date... Granted, I am only pushing 220whp without nitrous most of the time and a little over 300whp and 400torque with nitrous... My drivetrain probably doesn't take the pounding of a modified f-body... My torque converter stall rate is very tight though... I take all that in too consideration also when comparing.... To date I have had no break downs and have not been stranded once...... Things that I needed to change due to failure or wearout to date, seriously too...

1) Stock original battery blew up one day literally on start up..New battery..
2) Timing belts, rubber at 100,000 miles..
3) Plugs, caps and rotors, fuel filter, oil filter air filter a couple of times..
4) Tires.
5) Radiator and waterpump(plastic top started to leak, so I replaced it)
6) Interior leather did wear out on my *** and my cluster bulbs on the needless faded away..
7) Four wheel alignment...

I can't think of anything else... Oh, shocks and front LCA's I changed out for performance reasons and not because they needed to be..

I could go outside right now and hop in my SC400 and roast it to hell, redline it, hammer it for a good half hour straight and I am confident it will still pur like a baby after...150,000 miles read now on it... No squeeks, rattle noises, etc... to speak of.. No extra play in the steering, brakes are still great too..The ride is tight and solid... I did overheat the original tranny and blow it a few years ago, but like an idiot I did not have a tranny cooler installed...Temp killed that tranny, owner neglect and error on that one.....

I fully realise GM cars just won't hold up like Lexus/Toyota's but I just want it to hang... These Lexus SC400 cars still roll with 300,000-400,000 miles original I kid you not.. Just look on Ebay, 1992 SC400's for sale... Super high miles, but still run great... It is what it is fellas....

I owned a 1993 Toyota Landcruiser up until last year with 220,000 miles on it original, also never broke down..Fellas it ran and looked like new, perfect in every way.. A bit gutless though...... My brothers 2005 Tahoe with 80,000 miles was failing apart literally, breakdowns, squeeks and noises too... It's just crazy, as he would cuss out loud when he got in my 93 Cruiser and compare...

The bottom line is if you want performance and power go GM....If you want reliability go Toyota/Lexus. I now choose power over reliability.. GM LSx motors for me....

Last edited by JIBBBY; 12-10-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My comment......

1999 Z-71 purchased with 83K with an LSx based LM7 motor. The only thing done is prescibed maintenance + a master cylinder and now at 185k. Much abuse deer hunting.

1998 T/A purchased 4-07 with 49k now 83k with nothing done but routine maintenance + mods in sig below. Seen track + street racing time and still strong. IMHO a GM product properly maintaned is very reliable. But anybody can produce a lemon too. I had buddy back in 91 or 92 IIRC who got a motor replaced under warranty at 18k in his Forerunner for bad main bearings.

Glad your "Toyata" is still going strong JIBBY
Old 12-10-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought my 1992 sc400 with 91,000 miles on it in the year 2000, one year later I mod'd it out completely, with all the bolt ons and a 150 shot of nitrous... I've been hammering and I mean really hammering it constantly for the last 7 years... 60,000 miles i have put on it to date... Granted, I am only pushing 220whp without nitrous most of the time and a little over 300whp and 400torque with nitrous... My drivetrain probably doesn't take the pounding of a modified f-body... My torque converter stall rate is very tight though... I take all that in too consideration also when comparing.... To date I have had no break downs and have not been stranded once...... Things that I needed to change due to failure or wearout to date, seriously too...

1) Stock original battery blew up one day literally on start up..New battery..
2) Timing belts, rubber at 100,000 miles..
3) Plugs, caps and rotors, fuel filter, oil filter air filter a couple of times..
4) Tires.
5) Radiator and waterpump(plastic top started to leak, so I replaced it)
6) Interior leather did wear out on my *** and my cluster bulbs on the needless faded away..
7) Four wheel alignment...

I can't think of anything else... Oh, shocks and front LCA's I changed out for performance reasons and not because they needed to be..

I could go outside right now and hop in my SC400 and roast it to hell, redline it, hammer it for a good half hour straight and I am confident it will still pur like a baby after...150,000 miles read now on it... No squeeks, rattle noises, etc... to speak of.. No extra play in the steering, brakes are still great too..The ride is tight and solid... I did overheat the original tranny and blow it a few years ago, but like an idiot I did not have a tranny cooler installed...Temp killed that tranny, owner neglect and error on that one.....
Doesn't sound any different than a well taken care of fbody.
On fbodies Squeeks happen from worn out bushings, rattles happen from either certain modifications (like stiffer bushings causing suspension binding, or crappy exhaust shaking the car) or from the horrible stock DeCarbon shocks causing them from bad valving.
My car is lowered on stiffer spring rates, has stiffer swaybars, and 17X9 wheels with 275 tires and is rattle free and solid as ever thanks to quality parts (shocks). Quality parts = quality results.
The problems you see usually stem from people trying to budget build their cars when they really shouldn't skimp on certain parts. Again take a look at the thread I posted and see how many 100,000+ mile Fbodies are doing just fine.

I fully realise GM cars just won't hold up like Lexus/Toyota's but I just want it to hang... These Lexus SC400 cars still roll with 300,000-400,000 miles original I kid you not.. Just look on Ebay, 1992 SC400's for sale... Super high miles, but still run great... It is what it is fellas....

I owned a 1993 Toyota Landcruiser up until last year with 220,000 miles on it original, also never broke down..Fellas it ran and looked like new, perfect in every way.. A bit gutless though...... My brothers 2005 Tahoe with 80,000 miles was failing apart literally, breakdowns, squeeks and noises too... It's just crazy, as he would cuss out loud when he got in my 93 Cruiser and compare...

The bottom line is if you want performance and power go GM....If you want reliability go Toyota/Lexus. I now choose power over reliability.. GM LSx motors for me....
This is pretty much what I expected from you, a one sided inexperienced view. Because one of your supposed examples happens to be a GM, all GM cars are not reliable right? Have you taken a look at the problem Tundra owners have had?
Sure you might see a 200hp Lexus on Ebay with 300,000 babied miles on it claiming to shoot gold and rainbows from the exhaust, but that really doesn't prove anything because there have been countless high mileage American cars as well.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Village Idiot

JD AMG I don't appreciate your cheap shots at my character.. You don't even know me..... I am not blinded to GM cars as I owned a used car dealership in the 90's and drove and maintened many GM cars and trucks..As well as Toyota and Lexus... I know more then you think pal....

Just don't know too much about newer Camaro's and how they hold up when modified...Just trying to learn that is all... Relax tough guy... I am on your side... I happen to like GM cars regardless, have owned and driven many of them too... Not Camaro's though...

Ok hard facts that I remember in the 90's... Chevy and Ford trucks like the Blazers and Bronco's...I bought and sold many and I mean many... Chevy truck tranny's seem to all fail around the 100,000-140,000 mile mark regarless of maintenance..... I replaced and or rebuilt many from customer returns at that mileage mark..... Bronco's no better, tranny pumps at 80,000 miles plus was always there and evident, Ford Trannies seem to hold a little longer though in the big trucks...

Now the big V8 engines always held up in all Domestic cars and trucks regardless of mileage.... The Trinton's, Vortec's ect.., but in cabin rattles and squeeks were most disturbing...Oh, and steering wheel play was another issue with the high mile domestic trucks and SUV's...Down right dangerous in some.. Jeeps Cherokee's too, many problems to deal with around the 100,000 mile mark... 2000 and domestic models up I do not know, as I sold the dealership and stuck with the most reliable car I knew of at the time...The SC400 Lexus... Reliability and not power..

Toyota's, Lexus's and even Honda's did not show the same signs of wear and tear at the same mileage... I would not have any problem buying a used Toyota 4 runner with 175,000 miles from an original owner...Where I would cringe at the thought to try and do that with a Blazer/Tahoe or Bronco/Expedition..

It is what it is fellas, and I am not trying to shoot on the GM cars and trucks...Just stating facts that I know personally....

You guys don't think I wanted to drive a powerful GM sporscar back in 2000..I just knew it wouldn't hold up as well as a Lexus SC400...My best friend drove a 1991 Corvette convertable with 90,000 miles at the time at it was a rattle box... These are the reasons I am still driving this underpowered Lexus today... Only reason reliability...

I am very pro American

Last edited by JIBBBY; 12-10-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Doesn't sound any different than a well taken care of fbody.
On fbodies Squeeks happen from worn out bushings, rattles happen from either certain modifications (like stiffer bushings causing suspension binding, or crappy exhaust shaking the car) or from the horrible stock DeCarbon shocks causing them from bad valving.
My car is lowered on stiffer spring rates, has stiffer swaybars, and 17X9 wheels with 275 tires and is rattle free and solid as ever thanks to quality parts (shocks). Quality parts = quality results.
The problems you see usually stem from people trying to budget build their cars when they really shouldn't skimp on certain parts. Again take a look at the thread I posted and see how many 100,000+ mile Fbodies are doing just fine.

This is pretty much what I expected from you, a one sided inexperienced view. Because one of your supposed examples happens to be a GM, all GM cars are not reliable right? Have you taken a look at the problem Tundra owners have had?
Sure you might see a 200hp Lexus on Ebay with 300,000 babied miles on it claiming to shoot gold and rainbows from the exhaust, but that really doesn't prove anything because there have been countless high mileage American cars as well.

I am in complete agreement with this, im sure for every one of your ebay lexus/toyotas on ebay with 400,000 miles still perfect apparently...there are just as many if not more that had problems and are junk now from lack of care or one of a hundred other reasons **** breaks, lexus/toyota arent the end all in in reliability and dare I say it GM isnt the end all in performance either...
Old 12-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by TransAm619
Hey guys,

I own a 2001 Camaro SS for about 3 years now... IM ALWAYS BREAKING ****!
Comments like these draw my interest...

Sorry to jack your thread man, not trying...

PS...Your wrong jrob56...However you are entitled to your opinions... I think you haven't had any real expierence with Imports for reliability sake.. There is a difference...
Old 12-10-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This thread sucks.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
This thread sucks.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
This thread sucks.
I was just scrolling down to type that.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Village Idiot

Yes, it does suck... Someone make it better...
Old 12-10-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Comments like these draw my interest...

Sorry to jack your thread man, not trying...

PS...Your wrong jrob56...However you are entitled to your opinions... I think you haven't had any real expierence with Imports for reliability sake.. There is a difference...
Haha I worked for Adesa car auction in Indy picking up cars and delivering them to the auction I have driven plenty of cars and have enough experience with them to draw my own conclusions. I paid for the majority of this car with that job. Those comments drawing interest have not been backed up by anthing yet but I break **** constantly all ive done is throw money at it and many more people are telling you the opposite...

This thread does suck someone answer this...Im still very interested in what you guys are breaking?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

JD AMG I don't appreciate your cheap shots at my character.. You don't even know me..... I am not blinded to GM cars as I owned a used car dealership in the 90's and drove and maintened many GM cars and trucks..As well as Toyota and Lexus... I know more then you think pal....

Just don't know too much about newer Camaro's and how they hold up when modified...Just trying to learn that is all... Relax tough guy... I am on your side... I happen to like GM cars regardless, have owned and driven many of them too... Not Camaro's though...

Ok hard facts that I remember in the 90's... Chevy and Ford trucks like the Blazers and Bronco's...I bought and sold many and I mean many... Chevy truck tranny's seem to all fail around the 100,000-140,000 mile mark regarless of maintenance..... I replaced and or rebuilt many from customer returns at that mileage mark..... Bronco's no better, tranny pumps at 80,000 miles plus was always there and evident, Ford Trannies seem to hold a little longer though in the big trucks...

Now the big V8 engines always held up in all Domestic cars and trucks regardless of mileage.... The Trinton's, Vortec's ect.., but in cabin rattles and squeeks were most disturbing...Oh, and steering wheel play was another issue with the high mile domestic trucks and SUV's...Down right dangerous in some.. Jeeps Cherokee's too, many problems to deal with around the 100,000 mile mark... 2000 and domestic models up I do not know, as I sold the dealership and stuck with the most reliable car I knew of at the time...The SC400 Lexus... Reliability and not power..

Toyota's, Lexus's and even Honda's did not show the same signs of wear and tear at the same mileage... I would not have any problem buying a used Toyota 4 runner with 175,000 miles from an original owner...Where I would cringe at the thought to try and do that with a Blazer/Tahoe or Bronco/Expedition..

It is what it is fellas, and I am not trying to shoot on the GM cars and trucks...Just stating facts that I know personally....

You guys don't think I wanted to drive a powerful GM sporscar back in 2000..I just knew it wouldn't hold up as well as a Lexus SC400...My best friend drove a 1991 Corvette convertable with 90,000 miles at the time at it was a rattle box... These are the reasons I am still driving this underpowered Lexus today... Only reason reliability...

I am very pro American
Alright sorry to offend you but you are coming off as biased and its irritating. Blazers and Bronco's are POS's when it comes to build quality, but from my experience they do last (friend had an 80s blazer with over 250,000 miles on it, went through only one transmission and he would tow with it daily, go mudding on the weekends, and use it for hunting as well). GM and Ford's 90s small trucks were poor examples of their engineering, but still superior to the Japanese competition at the time(been in both a small Nissan truck(what ever they are called), an Xterra, and a tacoma). I was impressed with the Xterra when it was close to new condition (I think 40,000ish miles), a couple years later and the quality had really diminished, it rattled and squeeked, the interior pieces were coming apart, and the transmission was slipping.
And C4 Corvette were jokes when it came to interior build quality and fit and finish, especially the pre-LT1 models.
You are again using poor examples and comparing apples to oranges. If you want to compare the quality of your Lexus to an American car, choose one from the same class and built for the same purpose. Your car had a $38,000 base price back in 1992, so compare it to American luxury cars for the same price. [Oh and for the record I am a big fan of the SC400]
Old 12-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Village Idiot

Well said, recieved and understood... No harm no foul..

I guess the newer model cars are made better these days then alot of the older model ones... I would like to think car manufactures are learning from their mistakes and making necessary changes.....

Early model vintage cars I think were made well for their time...70's started to fall off, 80's fell to ****, 90's not much better...2000 and newer much better...Would you guys agree with that comment?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Well said, recieved and understood... No harm no foul..

I guess the newer model cars are made better these days then alot of the older model ones... I would like to think car manufactures are learning from their mistakes and making necessary changes.....

Early model vintage cars I think were made well for their time...70's started to fall off, 80's fell to ****, 90's not much better...2000 and newer much better...Would you guys agree with that comment?
Haha kinda i hate to sound like im just trying to argue im not but ive got a 1995 ford taurus i bought for 2200 dollars 4 years ago with 120k miles on it and it now has near 180k still rides pretty good for a 13 year old car it does have some rattles and squeeks but its still just how it came from a factory with a couple little things new alternator, opti, wires, plugs and upper radiator hose now she runs like a champ and that car has been through hell and back it was my first car thats all im gonna say...i want to send her out in style though if she makes it till graduation, im thinkin one day 100 shot and see what happens lol
Old 12-11-2008, 01:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, it does suck... Someone make it better...
Oh I'll make it better

hahaha
Old 12-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Village Idiot

Schultz not much better....Now I'm sporting wood while typing...Not good

Originally Posted by jrob56
ive got a 1995 ford taurus, it now has near 180k
I'm sorry to hear that... Oh my, the Ford Taurus's were simply a nightmare for me. Oh talk about front wheel drive transmission failure and slippage...No way the original trannies would make 100,000 miles, no way... Not cheap to replace either...Mercury Sable's, Ford Tauras's were the worst cars I have ever owned in my entire life... I wouldn't sign title over to my worst enemy for free...Pure garbage I tell you.... Again, maybe the newer models are a bit better... They sure can't get any worse... I owned 91-94 models of the past that I would like to forget....

The one thing about the Ford Taurus is it was a comfortable car to sit in... The Taurus SHO motor was decent too....

The older Ford Escorts were complete garbage aswell.... Most Escorts with high mileage used more oil then gas...

Now this thread really sucks..
Old 12-11-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine has done real well. I've DD mine for about 3.5 years and the only problem was my ignition switch went out. I've been driving with a slipping trans for about 3 years....and still make sure to get a couple WOT runs everyday.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

I DD mine. 123k miles on it. I baby it and drive normally 99% of the time. Sometimes I go a few weeks without a good pull. Eventually tho i can't stand it and stand on it getting onto 95.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Schultz not much better....Now I'm sporting wood while typing...Not good

I'm sorry to hear that... Oh my, the Ford Taurus's were simply a nightmare for me. Oh talk about front wheel drive transmission failure and slippage...No way the original trannies would make 100,000 miles, no way... Not cheap to replace either...Mercury Sable's, Ford Tauras's were the worst cars I have ever owned in my entire life... I wouldn't sign title over to my worst enemy for free...Pure garbage I tell you.... Again, maybe the newer models are a bit better... They sure can't get any worse... I owned 91-94 models of the past that I would like to forget....

The one thing about the Ford Taurus is it was a comfortable car to sit in... The Taurus SHO motor was decent too....

The older Ford Escorts were complete garbage aswell.... Most Escorts with high mileage used more oil then gas...

Now this thread really sucks..
forgot to mention that the trans does slip some but hasnt gotten any worse, they definitely arent perfect by any means but it gets the job done for a winter beater and ive definitely gotten my money out of it

Quick Reply: Not another "im Bored" thread but...