General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Not another "im Bored" thread but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
Man, to think I was going to buy a Camaro too...Sounds like the F-bodies are a break box with wheels... For a forum that loves the F-bodies it sounds like the owners wrench on them 24/7 just to keep them rolling... That just sucks ***!!!! We need to start making American cars better period... High miles means sell fast I guess when it comes to F-bodies...

The LSx motors themselves are very solid, right? It's everything else that breaks...
Refer to my post above ^^^ In my 3 Camaro's I haven't had one mechanical problem.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
I have had an F-body since I was 16. I have NEVER had one mechanical problem with my RS, Z28, or SS. Nor on my GTO, but that is expected since its like brand new.

Either way I would never DD an f-body again. The ride just sucks in comparison to other cars. If I were you I would sell the WS6 and pick up like a cobalt or something to DD and build up the Camaro. I'm sure you could have more fun with that than the old WS6.

Its all up to you though. I didn't mind DD'ing any of my F-bodies until I actually owned a comfortable car to drive.
Well it sounds like your cars are like brand new with low miles... That's sounds like a big difference from an F-body with 85,000 miles on it...

So the Camaro's should be used as a Weekend brute and not DD... That doesn't sound very reliable to me...

My Lexus is DD driver, never breaks and I absolutely beat the hell out of it..Can hit the nitrous daily with no worries.... I floor it every day with confidence seriously.. Still hmms and purs.... Not to brag about Lexus, but if I had a Camaro and was afraid to hammer it in fear of mechanical failure I sell it ASAP.... You guys are making me nervous with my LS2 motor now...****
Old 12-10-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, to think I was going to buy a Camaro too...Sounds like the F-bodies are a break box with wheels... For a forum that loves the F-bodies it sounds like the owners wrench on them 24/7 just to keep them rolling... That just sucks ***!!!! We need to start making American cars better period... High miles means sell fast I guess when it comes to F-bodies...

The LSx motors themselves are very solid, right? It's everything else that breaks...
I have a 2000 WS6 with 78,000 miles. All I've done is changed a tail light bulb and fog bulb. A lot of people that break there cars mod the crap out of them too. My DD 1994 Accord has 212,000 miles and is still going strong. It's stock though, I'm sure if I put a full exhaust, intake, dyno tune...ect...It would be dead right now... There are a few things here and there on some F-bodies, but that's expected as we should be greatful GM came out with a car that has the Vette motor in it that joe blows like us could actually afford, they had to cut some corners here of there, i.e. "decarbon shocks", "10 bolt" LOL, KONI'S! 9 INCH! BTW, I floor it with confidence every day
Old 12-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Village Idiot

I think you should be able to install bolt on mods on a car and not have to worry about that being the difference with the car breaking down or not... I don't think I could ever get use to that... I'm sorry as that just sucks *** and I feel for you guys if that is the case...

I always thought the JAP cars like Toyota just don't break because they just don't have enough power running through them to break...I am starting to believe that is not the case.. This thread is starting to depress me...Come on AMERICA make your cars better!!!!!

Still love the LSx motors though...
Old 12-10-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Yes, stuff breaks! I think I'm at the point where I'm just going to shove $1000 at the damn thing just to make sure it runs good. If it fails again, then it fails for good and its jap engineering time!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think you should be able to install bolt on mods on a car and not have to worry about that being the difference with the car breaking down or not... I don't think I could ever get use to that... I'm sorry as that just sucks *** and I feel for you guys if that is the case...

I always thought the JAP cars like Toyota just don't break because they just don't have enough power running through them to break...I am starting to believe that is not the case.. This thread is starting to depress me...Come on AMERICA make your cars better!!!!!

BTW, what are people breaking exactly besides the 10 bolt? The LS1 motor and T-56 are solid.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well it sounds like your cars are like brand new with low miles... That's sounds like a big difference from an F-body with 85,000 miles on it...

So the Camaro's should be used as a Weekend brute and not DD... That doesn't sound very reliable to me...

My Lexus is DD driver, never breaks and I absolutely beat the hell out of it..Can hit the nitrous daily with no worries.... I floor it every day with confidence seriously.. Still hmms and purs.... Not to brag about Lexus, but if I had a Camaro and was afraid to hammer it in fear of mechanical failure I sell it ASAP.... You guys are making me nervous with my LS2 motor now...****
Yes and no.....

My RS I had from 80,000-95,000 miles then was totaled by someone else.
My Z28 I had from 50,000-65,000 miles then I sold it.
My SS I had from 35,000-42,000 miles then sold it.
My GTO I bought like 3-4 months ago with 6,600, DD it, and am on 13,000.

So overall I have put about 43,400 miles on LSx cars without a problem. While most of them were lower than average mile cars except for the RS. I think I am also pretty easy on my cars. I don't WOT every day and do a lot of highway driving.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

When I was 17 one of my buddies bought a Z28 and it busted on his way home from the used car stealership (fuel pump). That was his only problem.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think your reading into this way too much.
There is absolutely no abnormal maintenance required to "keep the cars rolling", just like any other car.
The common things that break or go out are the headlight motors(firebird obviously) and the power window motors. Some interior pieces may crack due to being thin, cheap plastic taking high temperatures or being hit.
There was a mileage thread a while back where someone reported their LS1 car with over 200,000 miles original engine and transmission and running like a champ. There are various members on here with well over 100,00 miles on their modified fbodies and the cars are running stronger than ever. These are not like DSM's or RX7's spending more time trying to make them run than actually driving them.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^^
Old 12-10-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

yea and lexus is just a toyota with a different badge on it and i have many of friends that break there toyotas all the time, i DD my car and have never had to fix anything besides a tailight or changing the oil still runs strong as hell im never affraid to go WOT with it.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

you find me a DD car that wont break anything up to 100k miles and i want two!!!! vehicles all have moving parts, moving parts equals wear no matter the brand, granted how hard you make them move shoul show a difference. imo the f body WAS built with one goal in mind----power and speed, so gm made sure the major bases were covered (except for that pos rear end).

had a knock sensor go on a lq4 at 20k go figure. driving style, weather, road surfaces, flat vs hilly all would play into this argument.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jd_amg
i think your reading into this way too much.
There is absolutely no abnormal maintenance required to "keep the cars rolling", just like any other car.
The common things that break or go out are the headlight motors(firebird obviously) and the power window motors. Some interior pieces may crack due to being thin, cheap plastic taking high temperatures or being hit.
There was a mileage thread a while back where someone reported their ls1 car with over 200,000 miles original engine and transmission and running like a champ. There are various members on here with well over 100,00 miles on their modified fbodies and the cars are running stronger than ever. These are not like dsm's or rx7's spending more time trying to make them run than actually driving them.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Are you reading the same thread and posts I am, majority of the people on this board dont have anything but common problems you are gonna find on any car...sorry its no lexus, its a muscle car it doesnt have the smoothest ride they arent whisper quiet either, and if you mod them you are gonna see problems come up at some point...

my 2000 Z 112000 miles, and i have put 15k of them on there and the only thing ive had to do was replace a turn signal bulb...i dont take it easy on mine either by any means...

a friends 2001 B4C car with 145k miles burns some oil and i think he might have replaced a fuel pump, but other than that its a full bolt-on car that runs like a champ and still looks great after being thrashed on by police for years.

his brothers 2000 B4C had 160k on it also beat on by state police and was a factory freak, fastest stock car ive seen, he ended up pullint it and rebuilding when he cammed it but it wasnt neccessary.

these cars take a beating and ask for more from my experience, mine has treated me very well and i am very glad i purchased it!

Originally Posted by Tuffguy610
Yes, stuff breaks! I think I'm at the point where I'm just going to shove $1000 at the damn thing just to make sure it runs good. If it fails again, then it fails for good and its jap engineering time!
what are you guys breaking that you are throwing all this money at your cars no one has given examples yet?!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

JIBBY: I used to daily drive my 80K miles WS6. That included around 3 wide open throttles a day! I have had absolutely 0 problems with it. I haven't replaced a single part on it. I consider myself pretty hard on it too. I also have a couple buddy's with around the same mileage. Neither one of those guys has had a single probelm either. Don't let one bad apple, spoil the whole group!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I think your reading into this way too much.
Nah. He is just trying to stir the pot, that's all.

Still waiting for the OP to hear what kind of stuff he is breaking all the time.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Village Idiot

No not trying to stir the pot at all, just speaking with absolute 100% honesty that's all.. Really just a little concerned about the longevity of these Chevy motors and rides..

I mean I reading posts in this thread that say the F-body cars are best served for not being used as a daily driver, other posts that say they are breaking down like crazy with higher mileage...The original poster main's concern in that he is losing interest due to mechanical problems happening quite often to his ride....Come on, what am I suppose to think and say?

Now were seeing that some F-body owners are not seeing the same problems on recent post...... Which is good I am glad....

I want the true story about these cars, and if it takes me getting ripped for it, so be it.. I know you guys like your F-bodies and I am not ragging on them at all...Just want the low down...
Old 12-10-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No not trying to stir the pot at all, just speaking with absolute 100% honesty that's all.. Really just a little concerned about the longevity of these Chevy motors and rides..

I mean I reading posts in this thread that say the F-body cars are best served for not being used as a daily driver, other posts that say they are breaking down like crazy with higher mileage...The original poster main's concern in that he is losing interest due to mechanical problems happening quite often to his ride....Come on, what am I suppose to think and say?

Now were seeing that some F-body owners are not seeing the same problems on recent post...... Which is good I am glad....

I want the true story about these cars, and if it takes me getting ripped for it, so be it.. I know you guys like your F-bodies and I am not ragging on them at all...Just want the low down...
You have nothing to worry about. 99% of the threads with "problems" are due to the owner (usually installing parts wrong).
And again you are reading into things wrong. Best served for not being a daily driver doesn't have to do with reliability, but comfort (and worrying about the car getting banged up in a parking lot).
It honestly sounds like you want to hear problems. But either way, use search:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...e-f-bodys.html
Old 12-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Village Idiot

Search for what? Under what title? On this thread the main talk is all about the reliability, drivablity, etc...of the Fbody Camaro's... What better thread to bring up this talk then on this one?... Real experience with current Camaro owners...

If one out of every ten posts on this thread are negative then people just aren't happy with these cars..It's that simple....Thanks to all for speaking in truth...... Some are good and some are not...
Old 12-10-2008, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I DD my car, have put 15k on it, with mods in sig from the first 3 mons I bought it. I ust said if you beat the crap out of the car what do you expect.

How long have you been beating your Lexus up? Every brand will break if you beat it down day in and day out....it doesn't matter if it's a Honda, Dodge, Chevy, Lexus etc....

My car gets taken to the drag strip and spirited drives. There's a difference between running your car as it should be and disrespecting it and beat the living **** out of it like it doesn't matter to you.....
Old 12-10-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright Guys
I've been DD My Formula for 10 Yrs and I've never been stranded by it.
Only mechanical problems ever was a seized caliper slide pin which made me replace the front brake pads and the Water pump failed. The Car was still driveable both times. I've replaced the Motor mounts due to my aggressive driving but overall thats it except for regular problems (Window motor I replaced 2) The rest are updates or bolt on's. Headlight motor, A/C Compressor and fuel level sending unit failed while still under warranty( 50,000). 300 + Street Runs 30 Track Passes and currently just South of 130K miles and still on the Original clutch.

OH Yeah JD AMG
I agree KONI's FTMFW
The Cars should of came with them from the factory.

Quick Reply: Not another "im Bored" thread but...