General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: What are your opinions?
Royal Purple
45.38%
Mobil 1
54.62%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Royal Purple or Mobil 1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using Mobil 1 because I thought it was good. I just may switch now. Have anyone heard of castrol edge ? its there new synthetic that says it offeres 8X the protection of mobil 1.

check it out

http://www.castroledgeusa.com/
Old 02-26-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

a cup of cold **** offers more protection then Mobil 1. id use anything but M1. edge, penz plat, etc.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Royal Purple is recycled oil. I just run Pennzoil (?) 10w30. Not saying Royal Purple is bad or anything as I used to run it in my little dragster all the time .
Old 02-26-2009, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

I used to run Valvoline Synthetic and thought that I'd give RP a try. My car burned about 1 1/2 quarts every 3k miles. With RP maybe a 1/2 quart every 3k. My car piston slaps pretty bad when cold, but still runs good.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
I used to run Valvoline Synthetic and thought that I'd give RP a try. My car burned about 1 1/2 quarts every 3k miles. With RP maybe a 1/2 quart every 3k. My car piston slaps pretty bad when cold, but still runs good.
Try GC. Should quit burning it and stop the piston slap.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I used Mobil 1 for a while. Just put Royal Purple it today. My friend put some in his camaro, and he said that he noticed a difference in performance right away. I don't know if I believe it or not so I guess I'm just going to have to wait til I drive the t/a again and find out.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

crap. i was using rp. then moved to mobil 1 when rp started costing 9$ per quart...
Old 03-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

next change will be 0w30 german castrol
Old 03-26-2009, 05:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

so confused well When I bought my car the prev. owner had that castrol syntec ****, *the one thats overadvertised and was taken to court I think* in it :same guy that tried to tell me my ride was a 35th anniv. packageand I promptly switched it to M1 after reading about the alligations, Now I've always run M1 full syn basically because the old man Swears by it and is a bmw nut, I ran m1 in my first car an older bmw it burned like crazy in that thing! Moving on, The LS1 Is super Fin' loud with the m1 and it gets dirty quick.....I am just Grrr....Sounds LIke I need to Change bloodtype again! this is the same Old man that talks **** about my car and tells me put whatever you want in your chevy but I only use m1 in my bimmers.. but that's prob. because its faster than his 90's bmws... So Should I go with Pennzoil Platinum or valvoline synpower. I've always suspected they are better than m1 but no one wants to admit it, Im weary of the castrol line but I hear nothing but pure gold of the GC. I put Pennzoil platinum in my tahoe for ***** instead of the usual and it runs smooth but I had to add a quart really fast... trucks burn faster I guess? Looks LIke I gotta pry off that brand new M1 engine bay plaque and get rid of the 2 ******* Cases of m1 5/30 i got for my birthday...... oh yeah, Sorry for if that applies. On A Final note, I change my oil every 3kmiles or sooner if needed I check the color 3x a week

Last edited by RiceEaterZ; 03-26-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Let me shed my thoughts on this topic. I actually used to work with a guy several years ago and his uncle was the inventor of Mobil 1. He sold his rights to mobil 1 and has since statred another line of oil. Guess what it is? Royal Purple Thats correct but up until a few years ago the oils were identical with the exception of purple dye. But in the past couple of years mobil 1 has took the cheap route out and took some of ther detergents and other fain ingredients out to save money and the oil has not been the same. I have a really good friend of mine right now what works for penn that used to sell for mobil and he would give me mobil for my vehicles and my drag bikes. I started burning up clutch plates and could not figure out why? well the verdict was the oil.... (Mobil 1) he told me that they had changed the formula. I stoped using it and started running alyson oil....NO MORE PROBLEMS....But to answer your question....I would use Royal Purple....Its the first original formula. But I would consider amsoil or alyson
My Thoughts;
Scottie
Old 03-31-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RiceEaterZ
so confused well When I bought my car the prev. owner had that castrol syntec ****, *the one thats overadvertised and was taken to court I think* in it :same guy that tried to tell me my ride was a 35th anniv. packageand I promptly switched it to M1 after reading about the alligations, Now I've always run M1 full syn basically because the old man Swears by it and is a bmw nut, I ran m1 in my first car an older bmw it burned like crazy in that thing! Moving on, The LS1 Is super Fin' loud with the m1 and it gets dirty quick.....I am just Grrr....Sounds LIke I need to Change bloodtype again! this is the same Old man that talks **** about my car and tells me put whatever you want in your chevy but I only use m1 in my bimmers.. but that's prob. because its faster than his 90's bmws... So Should I go with Pennzoil Platinum or valvoline synpower. I've always suspected they are better than m1 but no one wants to admit it, Im weary of the castrol line but I hear nothing but pure gold of the GC. I put Pennzoil platinum in my tahoe for ***** instead of the usual and it runs smooth but I had to add a quart really fast... trucks burn faster I guess? Looks LIke I gotta pry off that brand new M1 engine bay plaque and get rid of the 2 ******* Cases of m1 5/30 i got for my birthday...... oh yeah, Sorry for if that applies. On A Final note, I change my oil every 3kmiles or sooner if needed I check the color 3x a week
Use German Castrol, Pennzoil Platinum, Amsoil or Redline. 4 Best you can get. Amsoil and Redline you might have to order, and German Castrol might not be easy to find for some.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

mobil 1 guy here...
Old 03-31-2009, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

I believed the mobil 1 hype and this is what its done.
1) z06 ticking sound
2) Lightning puffs grey smoke on start up @ 71k miles
3) 04 F-150 used mobil 5000, burned 2 qts and went to advanced to buy more.
Clerk says "2QTS?" "you got an oil leak"
ME... "No I don't." (clerk) Yeah you do dude!
ME...No I don't DUDE!! my drive way is spotless. Clerk...Your not lookin hard enough
ME... Just give me the damn oil
Old 03-31-2009, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

I get Jiffy Lube synthetic FOR FREE since I used to work there. I just started running it and it's fine. I change my oil like every 1500 miles since I bracket race it. I used to use M1 but heard about all the crap.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Badhawk
I believed the mobil 1 hype and this is what its done.
1) z06 ticking sound
2) Lightning puffs grey smoke on start up @ 71k miles
3) 04 F-150 used mobil 5000, burned 2 qts and went to advanced to buy more.
Clerk says "2QTS?" "you got an oil leak"
ME... "No I don't." (clerk) Yeah you do dude!
ME...No I don't DUDE!! my drive way is spotless. Clerk...Your not lookin hard enough
ME... Just give me the damn oil
Lmao...
Old 04-02-2009, 03:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My buddy just had his TA built and his builder suggested Valvoline Syn without the energy conserving rating because it has a high friction modifier content. That's what I use and at 120k I never have burned up oil. Used but not burned up like Mobil I used in the past. If I had the $ Purple all the way!
Old 04-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

I tried the German Castrol my car was louder with it then burnt up Mobil 1, now i stick to valvoline synthetic. Imy dad has run that in his dodge ( and several other vehicals ) the dodge has 165k miles on it, and we had the valve covers off to change the gasket and it was CLEAN other then the red tint from the oil there was no gunk, no grease, nothing, and it was still clean just red. Thats what i run that castrol 0w30 ive been recomended several times i had it in for probably 2-3 tanks of gas and it was already getting bad.

The only thing i liked from M1 was there 2R two stroke oil which was easy to get and cheap and worked well. then they quit making it without any reason.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heres where im lost-

You guys are saying Mobile 1 is ****, ok thats fine, and for some reason doesnt offer good protection. Now this castrol from germany, would this not be too thin of an oil? *Please note that my car is ONLY a evening summer car, therefore it doesnt see any cold weather start ups at all.

Would I still benefit by going to the German produced Castrol even tho its a 0W-30?
Old 04-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Mid
On The Tree

^^^I'd like to know that as well..

I'm a Royal Purple guy, but I may switch to German Castrol next time around.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Striker
*Please note that my car is ONLY a evening summer car, therefore it doesnt see any cold weather start ups at all.
you dont drive during daytime?

either way. no. GC is a thick 30 weight oil, which is exactly what an LS1 likes. the 0w is just its cold rating. 100 degrees is ice cold to a motor that operates at around 200, FYI. you want a thinner oil on startup, so it will travel around the pistons, etc, easier. once it warms up, it becomes a thick 30w, almost a 40w.

one of the many problems of M1 5w30 is that its extremely thin, more of a 20 weight then 30. their 10w40 is better, but still far inferior to GC or other quality oils.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple or Mobil 1?