General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

screw Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default screw Mobil 1

mobil 1 used to be the best oil with the most synthetic but now they turned it into crap, some say its not even a full synthetic any more,other oils within the same price range or even cheaper have much better wear protection and have the tests to prove it, i have been really denying the fact that mobil is really that bad, well i guess finally i decided its a good idea to switch. i took all my quarts of mobil 1 and returned them at walmart. instead, i bought the valvoline syn power, on the jug it already says new formula is 4x better wear protection then mobil 1. i bought a 5 quort jug for $19 when mobil 1 cost $24. so who ever still uses mobil 1 should atleast think twice about overpaying and buying oil that is not so good anymore.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently switched over from M1 to Penzoil Platinum.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

From now on Im using the walmart synthetic in everything. Well except for the camaro. I still have a stockpile of GC0W30
Old 01-09-2009, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

i just started useing there new 0-30 and it seems to be fine.
i used to use the german castrol and the mobil quieted my engine down a little.
i seen people on here use the wal-mart synthetic with good luck.
i have been thinking about useing royal purple but i dont see to much about it.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Are the filters still good? lol
Old 01-09-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

ive never used mobil 1 i always thought it was some how over rated i use Q horsepower 5w-30 full synthetic works good for me, not one complaint
Old 01-09-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sujomatt
I use the K&N filter only because it has a ratchet fitting on the end of it for easy install/removal.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sujomatt
i think the mobil 1 filters are pretty good, there alot heavier then other filters lol
Old 01-09-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ae13291
i think the mobil 1 filters are pretty good, there alot heavier then other filters lol
yea was just curious b/c i use Mobil 1 with Royal Purple
Old 01-09-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

My dad has been a mechanic his whole life so I grew up around changing oils. I've worked on countless different cars and used so many different oils I can't even think of them all. Me nor my dad have ever seen a difference when using different brands of oils. I see a lot of people say this brand of oil is crap or this one is the best. I've used a lot of different brands of oils in my time with all sorts of cars and I don't believe I could say one is better than the other. When your talkin weights of oils I could see this, but not by brand. Only way I think you could really tell a difference is if you ran certain brands of oils in a certain engine then after a very long period, tore down the engines and inspected the internals for wear. How do you guys say certain brands are crap? I didn't know if after you used it, it caused engine problems, or if you tore down your engine and saw more wear after using a certain brand, or if your just guessing by what you read on the labels? I honestly cant say I've ran a certain brand of oil in a car of mine and then when I used a different brand of the same weight could say, "Wow, this one is way better! That other one was crap!" Maybe I've just been lucky though?
Old 01-09-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^Look at some of the "wear tests" on the Amsoil web site.Mobile 1 is over rated and way overpriced. P.M me if anyone wants more info on Amsoil.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
My dad has been a mechanic his whole life so I grew up around changing oils. I've worked on countless different cars and used so many different oils I can't even think of them all. Me nor my dad have ever seen a difference when using different brands of oils. I see a lot of people say this brand of oil is crap or this one is the best. I've used a lot of different brands of oils in my time with all sorts of cars and I don't believe I could say one is better than the other. When your talkin weights of oils I could see this, but not by brand. Only way I think you could really tell a difference is if you ran certain brands of oils in a certain engine then after a very long period, tore down the engines and inspected the internals for wear. How do you guys say certain brands are crap? I didn't know if after you used it, it caused engine problems, or if you tore down your engine and saw more wear after using a certain brand, or if your just guessing by what you read on the labels? I honestly cant say I've ran a certain brand of oil in a car of mine and then when I used a different brand of the same weight could say, "Wow, this one is way better! That other one was crap!" Maybe I've just been lucky though?
it also has been pointed out that the mobil 1 5w-30 seems to be more on the thinner side then other 5w30's, well mobil 1 has just not come out with a new leading formula they stayed the same for long and only made the oil worse by removing some extra polymers, even the pennzoil platinum that is super cheap has a better shear protection then mobil 1! i mean its time for mobil to step up and make something better then all the other oils
Old 01-09-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Castrol syntec!!!
Old 01-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Teching In

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html

not to start any **** or anyting but here is a interesting adventure this guy
did with his ls motor and mobil 1. he also did amsoil and one other oil. enjoy.

edit: the second link is the amsoil test. enjoy.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mobil1 works for me so im not switching.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OnyxY2KSS
I use the K&N filter only because it has a ratchet fitting on the end of it for easy install/removal.
Amen to that, i pay the extra money just for that
Old 01-09-2009, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Originally Posted by whytryz28
Mobil1 works for me so im not switching.
Could not say it better myself. Never had one problem with M1 in the countless vehicles that my family has owned. Don't mind spend the extra money, whoopty doo 5 bucks. Give me a break. Sorry to hear that you had issues with M1. Maybe I am lucky one too.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 87gnx
^^^^Look at some of the "wear tests" on the Amsoil web site.Mobile 1 is over rated and way overpriced. P.M me if anyone wants more info on Amsoil.
Amsoil is the the sh*t. I've notice my engine is quieter and warms up alot faster. I don't think I'm ever going to use anything, but Amsoil. Their filter is great also.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ
Amen to that, i pay the extra money just for that
Same here, and it's only a dollar more than the M1 filter.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

i just use conventional penzoil. change it every 3000 miles no matter what and have never had any problems. i have used syntec and i like it but i cant tell any difference.

Quick Reply: screw Mobil 1