General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Swapping vin plates

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping vin plates

Okay I searched the site (admittedly not that hard) for this question. I do not or ever plan on doing this. But let me present a hypothetical situation.

1. A guy owns two cars--Both colors the same with the same options...Except one is an SS and one is a Z28.

2. Guy gets into an accident with his SS and it is totaled. Buys it from the insurance company and wants to rebuild it. He does not have the money to rebuild it and decides to use his Z28 for all of the spare parts. He then Looks over at his Z28 missing the SS hood and SS spoiler and thinks to himself why not do it. He decides to swap the Vin tag on the doors and the dash as well as the computers.

3. Can somebody do this? Is this the same as rebuilding it? Would it make more sense for him to spend the time and money transferring all the parts over to the wrecked SS? Is it legal? Any thoughts.....
Old 03-23-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm almost certain that swapping VIN plates and door tags is highly illegal, much like changing an odometer reading. It basically amounts to fraud and should not be done.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

But if the person decides to swap the parts to his wrecked car then it is alright?
Old 03-23-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

State laws in each state dictate the swapping vin tags and such. The answer will not be same for every state I'm sure but I think the overall stance on it is that is not lawful.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

I'd say its very illegal but you would still have a salvaged title SS, I think I'd rather have a clean title Z28.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zaxz28
But if the person decides to swap the parts to his wrecked car then it is alright?
it's still a z28 with SS parts on it
Old 03-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Launching!

switching vin plates is highly illegal. Felony out here and each plate/sticker is a new count, filing for a title with the switched plates is another felony for "submitting false document for filing". Take the parts off the z28 and put them on the SS.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pure Hypothetical...I don't own an SS.... Love the Z28..Just putting it out there. I don't or ever will condone fraud or theft. Just thought about it last night after seeing a picture of a guy with two of them.

I think a better way of putting it would be, what would stop a person from doing it?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Zaxz28
I think a better way of putting it would be, what would stop a person from doing it?
What would happen to them if they got caught
Old 03-23-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

bad idea is bad
Old 03-23-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The VIN number is also stamped on the vehicle in various other locations not well known to the general public, but well known to law enforcement. I'm not going to help you find them, but there are many places it can be found. That's why a stripped and burned car can still be identified.

Some people only think it's on the VIN plate. You would get in very bad trouble if your car ever gets looked at closely.

Harmless intentions aside, you will not be able to explain it away. Don't try it. You could end up on one of those "stupid criminal" shows.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

1 word: Illegal
Old 03-24-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ghardester
The VIN number is also stamped on the vehicle in various other locations not well known to the general public, but well known to law enforcement.
I can assure you that a lot of law enforcement doesn't even know
Old 03-24-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

in other words if you do it, don't let anyone know
Old 03-24-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by waldershrek
I can assure you that a lot of law enforcement doesn't even know
You are probably right. I just wanted to make the point that if you try this you should know that it's just not as simple as the vin plate. Trying to save some simple person from a really bad idea.

Even the rivets used are specific to the manufacturer and you aren't going to be able to duplicate them. The hidden numbers are usually partials, like the last 4 numbers. In as many as 12 locations. In the trunk hidden under the body goop used to seal the fenders, up under the firewall, etc. On some cars they are even hidden inside the A or B pillars.

CNN has a story on line today about busting a car cloning ring. Be good!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Banned

Heres the deal, the vin is on the rear body panel pinchweld on the passenger side.
It's in the engine computer but can be changed with tuning software, both my cars have the same vin in the VCM.

Theres the door sticker and the plate. I recently found a source for vin plate rivets for $100 each. The windshield has to come out to change it.

I don't care what anyone says, the vin IS NOT anywhere else on the body. People claim they're not giving you clues to help you out, the truth is they don't know where they are.

There is one check digit in the vin thats very random and it appears on various body panels. ONE DIGIT found in a series of letters and numbers.

On the vehicle as a whole the VIN is also on the engine and trans. Sometimes on the glass.

Heres the truth to the whole matter.
If your hypothetical scenario is legitamate, yes you can do that and most likely get away with it.

If you're BS'ing and pulling some **** like you have a shell with a clean title (I know where I can buy a 2002 shell with a clean title for $500) and you also are 3 months into a $20,000 loan on the same type car, and you think you have a way to get out of that loan, then you're wrong.

In other words I can guarantee no one is going to ever check the vins and check digits on my two cars.

If you're pulling some bullshit and it backfires on you, you're going to get your car torn apart to see if it all matches.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

A few things that should stop anyone from doing this. Honesty, honor, integrity, your reputation, fairness to the next owner. Dishonesty is addictive. When you start telling lies about a car's past you won't know when to stop. I've always said you don't need as good a memory if you tell the truth. Otherwise you need to remember which lies you told to which person. I refuse to do business with people I can't trust because you can't watch a thief close enough to keep them from screwing you. Like others have said, vin numbers are hidden in many places on a car to catch thieves.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The VIN is associated to the chassis, not specifically the model or engine and such. So if the chassis is totalled, then so is the VIN. Think of the VIN as your identity, if you donated all your organs to someone else they would not become you. They would still be themselves and your identity would no longer exist. Clear?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:14 PM

So here's the deal, I stumbled upon this thread via a google search for "VIN swap". I don't own a camaro but this discussion could apply to any vehicle owner. I own 3 Jeep YJ's, an 87, 88, and a 95. All three run and drive, all three have clean titles. All three have their issues, and their solid points. The 95 has the most solid frame and body, 95 being the only year they were galvanized, they've resisted rust quite well against Ontario's salty winter roads. The 88 has a fresh remanufactured engine (30'000km) and a new tranny and clutch (10,000km). The 87 has a stunningly clean interior (carpet, dash, seats, roll bar padding etc), the best axles and diffs, and the better suspension setup. Now if I take the frame and body from the 95, the engine, clutch and tranny from the 88, and the entire interior, and entire steering and suspension setup, including axles and transfer case from the 87... well the fact is I will have 3 different vin numbers stamped on the vehicle depending on where you look. The dash has a plate, which would be the 87 vin, the firewall in the engine bay has a plate which would be the 95, and since the motor and tranny from the 88 are not original, who knows what vin may be found on either. In Ontario 1987 and older cars do not require emissions testing, so obviously I would want to use the 87 title, and I think I could. No way salvaging parts can be illegal...

Quick Reply: Swapping vin plates