General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

GM to cut 21,000 US factory jobs and shed Pontiac.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry GM to cut 21,000 US factory jobs and shed Pontiac.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090427/..._ge/us_gm_plan

As part of GM's restructuring Pontiac is going away...wtf?

Close to the bottom of the story
The company said it would phase out its storied Pontiac brand no later than next year, and the futures of its Hummer, Saturn and Saab brands will be resolved by the end of this year by either selling them or phasing them out.

Last edited by Bring the Noise; 04-27-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

where the hell have you been, under a rock? yea it sucks tho.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I guess the 'firehawk' is dead. lol
Must suck to put all that time and development in to it only to get the rug pulled out from under you.

Karma's a bitch.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

Haha... Should make my TA a collector. People ask and it'll b like ya they don't make these anymore. Kinda like the AMC. When you find one you keep it.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Teching In

I just read the same article. Very sad news!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

It was either the TA or the Corvette and I am sure that the Corvette was not even part of that conversation. I would rather see 21K jobs lost than see the whole ship go down. Hell I should have bought that WS6 3 years ago than my Vette LOL.

"To sacrifice a few soldiers for the larger cause is more noble than sending your whole army on a suicide mission."
anonymous
Old 04-27-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Would my Camaro increase in value if GM liquidated and ceased producing cars in the future?
Old 04-27-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02*C5
It was either the TA or the Corvette and I am sure that the Corvette was not even part of that conversation. I would rather see 21K jobs lost than see the whole ship go down. Hell I should have bought that WS6 3 years ago than my Vette LOL.

"To sacrifice a few soldiers for the larger cause is more noble than sending your whole army on a suicide mission."
anonymous
What makes you think it'll end with 21k jobs? What do you think will happen when the government can't make GM equitable again? What do you think will happen to the families in the communities that those 21k jobs were lost in?
Seems kinda like instead of patching the hole in the hull, they are starting to throw people overboard to try and lighten the load. Unless they switch up the tactics, the ship is going to sink anyway.
If/when that happens, your Vette will be a collectors item too. Of course all the parts you are going to need to keep it running are going to skyrocket as the 21k people who lost thier jobs and GM as a whole, won't be manufacturing them anymore.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was watching the news this morning and thats the first thing i saw and it made me sick, that just sucks! But does that mean my WS6 just went up in value two weeks after I bought it?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by zamora7
I was watching the news this morning and thats the first thing i saw and it made me sick, that just sucks! But does that mean my WS6 just went up in value two weeks after I bought it?
It's worth more to someone looking to "collect" it. But not from a "I bought it to drive it daily and it has great manufacturer's support" standpoint. Anything is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. No more, no less.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Guys... The government can not afford to let a large company like GM close for good. I can never see it happening. Here is why.

All these people who work guess what they pay taxes. All the employers at the plants guess what they pay taxes for the company. All the GM licensed apparel and parts and misc. stuff with GM on it guess what you pay taxes for. All the dealerships that sell cars guess what pay taxes for the company. All the employees at the dealership guess what they pay taxes. Every time you guys go out and buy a car guess what you are paying taxes. All the people working in the plants and dealerships and anyone else tied in with the company who own land guess what they pay taxes. I think you can see where this is going

I would be willing to say that in my life time I won't see GM fail because of all the money that the government gets back from them. Sure they can afford to give them loans now because when everyone gets back into the American way they will be doing just fine.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe I read that the government already warned GM to expect to file bankruptcy in June.

"In a filing with the Securities Exchange Commission, GM said it needs to exchange 90 percent of its unsecured notes — about $24 billion — by a May 26 deadline. It also states that GM will file for bankruptcy if not enough bondholders agree to change their notes."

When is the fire-sale on Pontiacs?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Teching In

it should have been saturn
Old 04-30-2009, 12:20 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Again, too many of these threads.