General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Should I trade my 03 Cobra for a 99 Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep the cobra... if the vette was newer and z06 than i would say go for the vette
Old 05-05-2009, 01:01 AM
Teching In

Make the jump to ls1 you will not regret it... I assume by what you said your cobra is fast a f$^k but there is nothing better than a vette!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
Pure sex apeal of a C5Z as well as value and price.
Aside from that you must be kidding yourself if you think they are anywhere near the same price modded or not.
I coulda picked up a clean 99 FRC with mid 50's on the clock for 16k.
Good luck finding a C5Z for anything close to that.
They don't book anything close to one another.
The difference is by thousands.

As well as I never made the comparision between an FRC and Z.
I made the comparison between the 4V and a NEWER Z.

-Matt
I never said they were the same price modded. I said the FRC would be cheaper, "last time I checked an FRC that is comparable to a Z is more than $1,000 cheaper." The price difference should make the FRC more attractive to people but judging by what many have said in this thread (and you) it makes it less appealing. If the value of the Z is what's so appealing to you then the FRC should be appealing to you too.

I don't see how a Z is any more sexy than an FRC, unless brake vents, fender badges, and front screens in the grill give you a hard-on.

You never made a direct comparison between the Z and the FRC but you made an indirect comparison between the two by saying a newer Z is better than a cobra but a Cobra is better than an FRC, therefor implying that the Z was so much better than THIS FRC.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why didn't you just start a poll for this thread.. that would make things MUCH easier to see what peoples opinions are. Keep the cobra, its faster and newer.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd go for the vette if you're looking for a fun toy. The cobra sounds like a sweet car, and if you're using it as a DD, you might want to keep it for the rear seat, and trunk. The Vette would be a no brainer for me, unless i had to keep driving it around as DD.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SlowFRC

You never made a direct comparison between the Z and the FRC but you made an indirect comparison between the two by saying a newer Z is better than a cobra but a Cobra is better than an FRC, therefor implying that the Z was so much better than THIS FRC.

"Now if it were a newer C5Z, then I would probably make the trade."

See the part where I said "I"?

It's my preference.

Not a fact but a choice, and to ME it's the right one.
Do you have a problem with that?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hell no!!!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

no ig it was a 02+ z, than yes
Old 05-05-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
"Now if it were a newer C5Z, then I would probably make the trade."

See the part where I said "I"?

It's my preference.

Not a fact but a choice, and to ME it's the right one.
Do you have a problem with that?
No problem, I was just asking why is all.

Either way the OP decided to keep the Cobra so there is no point in this thread going on any longer.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Trade that thing already..
Old 05-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Teching In

uhhhh..... HELL NO!!!!! are you serious? That vette comes nowhere near the performance level of the cobra. Period. ^ No everyone wants a cobra because they haul f#(ken ***.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

pulling up in a mustang.....pulling up in a corvette....no question corvette
Old 05-15-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chevyfanaddict
uhhhh..... HELL NO!!!!! are you serious? That vette comes nowhere near the performance level of the cobra. Period. ^ No everyone wants a cobra because they haul f#(ken ***.
Guess you haven't watched any races on stock cobras vs stock LS1's, or read about kill stories on this board.

Yes you can mod the cobra and it'll be faster than a stock Ls1, but you can throw a cam/heads on an LS and it'll probly run the cobra. They're just big old tanks.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

I wouldn't argue the cobra is slow, or "lower" then the vette.

Both have ALOT of potential, yes the cobra is heavy but comes with forged internals stock. The vette has the god-like ls1 and massive conering capability over the stang.

As said above to most who are not car nuts, the cobra looks like a mustang with different styling, whereas the vette well its a vette.

And besides the point the OP is keeping the cobra, kenne bell power woot woot!!!!
Old 05-15-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Go for it and don't look back.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

I would go for the cobra without a doubt
Old 05-16-2009, 01:49 PM
10 Second Club

No, I wouldn't
Old 05-16-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hands down, without any doubts keep your Cobra man.

You can't compare power levels and potential. For starters, the cobra has a built bottom end, that with 1500-2000 dollars in mods will rape a LS1, probably one with heads/cam on stock cubes.

Modability-Not even a comparison. Your gonna drop your motor, take it all apart, have thousands of pieces laying around taking half the motor apart to do heads/cam on the LS1. In the cobra, why dont we change the pulley, maybe exhaust too? And all for the same power level.

Also whenever you want more, the cobra can and will take it. The LS1, not even close. Even for larger cams that require you to rev the motor much higher, you're gonna be replacing the crappy OEM rod bolts so your motor can stay intact and not self destruct. Im sorry but its true. The LS1 is an amazing N/A motor that gets awesome mileage and has a great reliability history when taken care of. The cobra however is just a pure beast. The things i've seen that engine take stock is pretty amazing.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker
Hands down, without any doubts keep your Cobra man.

You can't compare power levels and potential. For starters, the cobra has a built bottom end, that with 1500-2000 dollars in mods will rape a LS1, probably one with heads/cam on stock cubes.

Modability-Not even a comparison. Your gonna drop your motor, take it all apart, have thousands of pieces laying around taking half the motor apart to do heads/cam on the LS1. In the cobra, why dont we change the pulley, maybe exhaust too? And all for the same power level.

Also whenever you want more, the cobra can and will take it. The LS1, not even close. Even for larger cams that require you to rev the motor much higher, you're gonna be replacing the crappy OEM rod bolts so your motor can stay intact and not self destruct. Im sorry but its true. The LS1 is an amazing N/A motor that gets awesome mileage and has a great reliability history when taken care of. The cobra however is just a pure beast. The things i've seen that engine take stock is pretty amazing.
yet ive laid down over 550 to the wheels with a 80k mile stock ls1 bottom end and it didnt self destruct. and over 8k miles on the engine with the turbo. stock rod bolts and all.
i still yet to have had a ls come apart on me yet. another 6.0 i built with stock rods, arp bolts and stock 317 lays down 800+whp on pump with a t76
thers plenty of ls upgrades to handle more than enuff hp for ls motors.

the stock eaton will only support so much before it has to be upgraded. to support more hp for the cobras.they will come close to the 500rwhp with stock blower if that,

my own hyper piston 6.0, stock rods, crank and non ported oe heads puts down 490rw and gets 26mpg and has over 12k miles after being built and spins to 7k with out missing a beat. no blower needed.
ive outran various cobras with this car. roll racing seems popular for the cobra owners.
find it amusing how its hard to get them to race my 10sec. n/a turd gen

i would take a frc over a cobra anyday of the week. to non car guys the cobra is just another stang
Old 05-16-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

A girl will look at the Cobra and say nice mustang. Same girl looks at Vette and says OMG I love Vettes. Vette>Cobra

Quick Reply: Should I trade my 03 Cobra for a 99 Vette?