General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Car Dilema...Sell WS6&Buy 03 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sounds about right, what part of Ont are you from? All things considered, I would keep the WS6, I remember looking for mine took over a year to get(altho if your shopping in the States that gets thrown out the window!)
Old 05-14-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do you want the car for? thats the biggest question....

if you want a lot of power either car can be made very fast.... both could make 500 horsepower with about the same final investment including the cost of the car and the mods, actually cheaper for the ws6 if your only going for 500 rwhp as you wouldnt need to forge the motor.

If you just like one style better then the other then you have to follow your heart...

i wouldnt buy a cobra over a ls1 just because you THINK it will make more power. it will be easier to get to 480-500 rwhp with bolt ons but after that things level out cost wise, and dont forget the higher initial investment on the cobra which is probably 8-10 grand.

Im probably in the minority here, but im just not overly amazed with the cobra. A forged v8 with a supercharger should able to make a lot of power, and it does. Nothing really special to me. Plus i hate the overpowering whine of that eaton. It also blends in with every other V6 mustang out there. There is no way a WS6 is going to be confused with a V6 firebird.

Atleast with a ls1 you can make big power naturally aspirated or with forced induction, more choices. Big power with a cobra you are restricted to a supercharger or turbo, which is fine if thats what you want. I think there is just something special about a big cube ls1 putting down 550 rwhp all motor..

btw, im not trying to start a ford vs chevy thing here... Im just saying both cars can be made very fast. Make the decision on which car you would enjoy more, not how much power you want...
Old 05-15-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, the reality is that the cobra's are monsters.

The motor doesn't need to be touched for a lot of different power levels. Im sure the LS1 can take its own abuse but even to do heads/cam is a major pain in the *** that requires way too much work and tearing into the motor pretty good in order for achieve 400+rwhp.

To me, thats not really that fun or do I have the resources to do any of that. However, I do like the modability of the cobra and the fact that the motor is fully built is a major plus. As far as the eaton having an overwhelming note, well thats just preferance and to be honest I havent heard many people complaining about that. I actually love it.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NDFORSPD
that sounds about right, what part of Ont are you from? All things considered, I would keep the WS6, I remember looking for mine took over a year to get(altho if your shopping in the States that gets thrown out the window!)
Your car sounds just like mine. 99 M6.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
Im probably in the minority here, but im just not overly amazed with the cobra. It also blends in with every other V6 mustang out there. There is no way a WS6 is going to be confused with a V6 firebird.
I'm part of the same minority.

There was a post on the second page, saying even though its a Cobra, its still a Mustang. Nice cars, but here in Iowa, I see at least 5 Mustangs to 1 F-body on the road. The way I see it is you can either stand out or be just another guy in the croud. I wouldn't even consider owning a Mustang, and I would never trade any of my Firebirds for one. As perfect a car as your's is, trading it for anything less than superpowers should be unimagineable. I am biased, no doubt, but I believe you will regret letting this WS6 go.

Please keep this thread updated and let us know what you decide. Good luck with your choice.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well so far no deal. I called the guy last nite and left a voice mail, as well as an email both with no reply. Im now just focusing on keeping my car seeing as no one is coming thru. Deal Lost as of now.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker
Well, the reality is that the cobra's are monsters.

The motor doesn't need to be touched for a lot of different power levels. Im sure the LS1 can take its own abuse but even to do heads/cam is a major pain in the *** that requires way too much work and tearing into the motor pretty good in order for achieve 400+rwhp.

To me, thats not really that fun or do I have the resources to do any of that. However, I do like the modability of the cobra and the fact that the motor is fully built is a major plus. As far as the eaton having an overwhelming note, well thats just preferance and to be honest I havent heard many people complaining about that. I actually love it.
yep forged motor from the factory is going to take more power then hypereutectic pistons and powdered metal connecting rods, no doubt.

But who says you would have to do heads cam for the ls1? For 6-7 grand you could buy a sts turbo (fairly easy install), a procharger, or aps twin turbo kit and have a reliable 500+ rwhp ws6 with a good tune... if you got hungry for more power later on build a forged 6 liter block and it will handle more power then the cobra... If all you want is power then you can do it with either for close to the same cost. To get close to 480-500 rwhp on the cobra will require headers, ported blower and all the other bolt ons. Everything takes a bit of work and cash... if you love your car and just want more power its pretty easy is all im saying...