General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Offset axle bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offset axle bearings

So, i had to replace my axle bearings, and the parts house convinced me that i would have to go with the offset axle bearings as it was almost guaranteed that the axles would be f$#ed up, so i get them and put them in, and the axles don't look too bad so i figure what the hell, besides, now my rear end is out and i can't get back to the parts house for the stock bearings. So i go ahead with plan A. Big mistake, after getting it back together, the seals leaked at less than 25 miles WTF???? i prepped the axles and everything, so to go from bad to worse, just try getting those ******* c-clips back out Freaking hours with the die grinder and making sure i don't jack up the axles or spider gears. Never again. I went back to the stockers and just put 400 miles on without a hitch, plus, while it was apart this time, i rebuilt the rear end. So, you think you had a bad day????LOL...live and learn
Old 06-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Launching!

I was in a similar situation:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...ted-equal.html
Old 06-06-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What bearings were they? I have no choice but to go with the offset or get a new axle. I got the timken bearing.

*edit* crap I hope I'm not in for some issues using the timken... no carquest around here, maybe I should take it back and try NAPA.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Launching!

The Timken bearing I got was total crap. It started leaking as soon as I got the car home from the shop. Go with a Carquest or a Napa.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

NAPA bearing lasted ~800 miles in my car.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not finding that bearing on NAPA's site. I may just have to walk in and see what they have.

Oh and there is a Carquest here. Closer than NAPA actually. Cool, I'll check there first.

Originally Posted by AxisOfOil
NAPA bearing lasted ~800 miles in my car.
Only 800 miles?!

So.... I guess carquest it is! I hope the one here has the offset bearings.

Last edited by SparkyJJO; 06-06-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:56 PM
Teching In

The bearings i used were BST or something like that, got them from Napa Auto Parts. The bearing and seals are one. They looked good, but the final results sucked, Plus, i've been wrenching on cars for a long long time and i knew when i finally got the c-clips back in that if i ever had to take them out again it was going to be a pain. I just didn't think it would be the next day. This is just my opinion, but if your axles are bad, your better off coughing up the money for new ones, rather than go through the bull#@t the i had too. The really bad part is the car only has 77,000 on it and the bearings have been bad for awhile. Seems to be a trait on the 10 bolt
Old 07-15-2009, 03:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think I have a bearing going out on mine as well, I am going to pull the shafts and take a look. My options are GM, Napa, Autozone, or Advance Auto Parts. I guess I will see what is needed when I look at the axle shaft...

The sound I am getting is on right hand turns, sounds like a flat tire or something - kind of like "wahwahwahwahwah" sounding.... Best I can describe.

Quick Reply: Offset axle bearings