General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

C5 Z06 Exhaust (need suggestions)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Z06 Exhaust (need suggestions)

Ive got a 2003 C5 Z06 with the Vengance Vindicator Cam and a tune. Im on a COMPLETELY stock exhaust right now and you guessed it, dyno #'s hurt only made 390rwhp. Im looking for a set of LT's and an X-pipe, I'll probably retain the remainder of the stock exhaust other than that. First and foremost 2 questions:

1) What is the best overall sounding exhaust for a C5 model vette for the best price?

2) I ran across this exhaust on ebay but ive never heard of them the brand is OBX and the system looks decent for the price. Here is the link check it out and tell me if they build quality exhaust and should i consider the purchase...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-E...Q5fCarQ5fParts

3) The hedders in the above link are 2.5 inch, is there a 3" system out for the C5? Most ive found are 2.5inch

thanks
Old 07-29-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

The headers are 1 3/4" primaries, which is a good size. You can find 1 7/8 and even 2" now. The outlet is 2.5", and that is just the size of the piping back from the header.
That looks like a good deal, but I am not very familar with OBX either.
I would check out Kooks, QTP, or even LG.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who would put a cam in a car without doing the exhaust..lol
Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lots of people unfortunately.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I 'd never put some cheap off brand name part on my z06.

Seems that you built your T/A with lotta parts from Tx Speed.

They also have parts for vettes, in case The best exhaust combo i heard on a N/A vette is kooks headers, X pipe to borla exhaust.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Corsa Touring on my C5 and I love it. Not loud at all but still sounds mean. Here is the only video i have of it. You can only hear the exhaust a little for the first portion of the video. I should of had the windows up. This years event i will make a better video and go over 140 mph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llRbYGMaWo8
Old 08-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fccs
I understand your question but it is because the exhaust was a lot more expensive and i didnt have the money at the time. Cam was $360, i will be spending around $1200 for the exhaust...either way, the car rides the FUC$ out cam only even on the stock exhaust it just doesnt make the power it will once the exhaust is on the car.

Thanks for all input on this, and thank you for the posted sound clip...car pulls nicely. I am leaning towards the Kooks LT's and the texas speed X-pipe...probably retain the stock cat back for now. Any other ideas please hit me up... havent spent the money yet but will be here soon.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEEDinjection
I understand your question but it is because the exhaust was a lot more expensive and i didnt have the money at the time. Cam was $360, i will be spending around $1200 for the exhaust...either way, the car rides the FUC$ out cam only even on the stock exhaust it just doesnt make the power it will once the exhaust is on the car.

Thanks for all input on this, and thank you for the posted sound clip...car pulls nicely. I am leaning towards the Kooks LT's and the texas speed X-pipe...probably retain the stock cat back for now. Any other ideas please hit me up... havent spent the money yet but will be here soon.
Don't forget about a tune afterwards, if you plan to go without cats especially. I bet with a tune and a headers back full exhaust like you mentioned kooks and tsp xpipe, you would pickup more then 30rwhp with that cam!
Old 08-14-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a sleeper
Old 08-14-2009, 02:48 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
I 'd never put some cheap off brand name part on my z06.
Really?

Here is a clip of my Coupe (For sale) with Kooks 1 7/8 LTs, Kooks X and NXT (ebay) catback. Basicaly the same design as GHL, Granatelli and a couple other companies. Sounds great and its cheap.

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...t=CIMG0202.flv

My roomates picked up an 01 Z06 and we are doing either Kooks/ARH up front and he has a B&B Bullet catback now.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Don't forget about a tune afterwards, if you plan to go without cats especially. I bet with a tune and a headers back full exhaust like you mentioned kooks and tsp xpipe, you would pickup more then 30rwhp with that cam!
i agree ill freshen up the tune a bit, if i pick up 20rwhp id be happy but Ron at Vengance said he thinks 30-40 is reasonable. When i told him the numbers i made on the stock exhaust/tb/intake and what not he was shocked. He said he was surpised i broke 360rwhp, much less 390.

Speed density your car sounds great! Are you selling car as is or are you gonna sell the exhaust? Could you send me a link to the catback you have on it...
Old 08-19-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He already sold the car but maybe he has the link
Old 08-19-2009, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

I really wanted to buy that vette...dude fell through on my mustang though

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 Exhaust (need suggestions)