General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

DexCool?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default DexCool?

Last year i completly flushed my system, what im thinking i can do now is once a year just drain my radiator then fill with Dex then top it off with water, and should never have to flush complete system again,, will this be ok?
Old 08-01-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

sure, that will last for a while, maybe a couple years.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 508 Likes on 366 Posts

That is not the best way to do things but it certainly is better than doing nothing. A complete flush is always best and should be done every 30,000 miles with Dexcool. You can probably squeeze 40k out of it if necessary.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flush that nasty dexcool out of their and put regular green in it or the prestone In it that dexcool is not worth a f*&k
Old 08-02-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk99ek
Flush that nasty dexcool out of their and put regular green in it or the prestone In it that dexcool is not worth a f*&k

Thats the first time I've heard that! I've heard that as long as you dont mix them that either is okay for most cars but that the green stuff is not good for aluminum blocks. That may be a story too since most cars have aluminum heads and it doesnt seem to cause any problems.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 508 Likes on 366 Posts

Your source of information is ???? Your personal experience is ???? Can you give us some particular examples???
Now I'll give you mine. I've used Dexcool for the past 13 years in my 1996 Formula (bought new July 1996), my current T/A, and my 2004 Chev Venture minivan. Never one cooling issue. NONE! Flawless performance and cooling from the heat of FL to the winters here in the mountains of NC. The only negative thing I ever heard about Dexcool is the so-called 'lifetime' use. That is not accurate. My GM service people have told me that after 5 years the Dexcool can 'gel' inside your system. Not always, but there have been examples of this happening. 30k or 5 years is what was recommended to me and as I stated earlier, not one issue.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no way to get every drop of the Dexcool out before adding something else like Prestone. I believe a mixture of orange and green can actually turn acidic and start to eat at seals and even heads/block when mixed. I have no real evidence other than word of mouth on here and discussing the topic at parts stores. I don't think its a very wise decision. And I see no benefit for the switch. But, ya know, to each their own.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I Just put some of the stuff that says add with any color any car, prestone stuff I believe. The stuff was green, but it says it can be added to the orange with no problems.

I have an article that talks about draining all fluid out of the LS1 - It is almost impossible to totally drain it in one sitting. You can flush over time, but just emptying is very hard with the freeze plugs and stuff like that.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you switch to green make sure every damn bit of dex is out. If not it will turn into a brown sludge and get stuck everywhere. Jackass that owned my 97 before me mixed them. Still have a few deposits float out every now and then. Owned the car 5 years now. NEVER MIX EVEN THE SLIGHTEST BIT. Oh and that yellow mix with any type is S***!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by aerojt
I Just put some of the stuff that says add with any color any car, prestone stuff I believe. The stuff was green, but it says it can be added to the orange with no problems.

I have an article that talks about draining all fluid out of the LS1 - It is almost impossible to totally drain it in one sitting. You can flush over time, but just emptying is very hard with the freeze plugs and stuff like that.
Never mix colors no matter what it says!

You can flush it out if you run it for like 30 minutes engine running water flowing and heater on. Then refill with more dexcool, why change it for no reason?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:02 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Default Honda/Acura Extended Life Coolant

I just recently switched over to the Honda/Acura "Blue Goo" as we nickenamed it in my '01 Camaro SS. One of our local board members is a service writer at Honda and she was telling us that it is pretty good ****.

Anyway, I flushed that damn cooling system 7 times to get all Dexcool out. It about drove me crazy Took two evenings doing it after work. The Dexcool came out looking pretty good, I have to say. It was original factory fill from '01... but the car only has 13K miles. The only sludge was on the overflow/fill bottle dipstick.

Anyway, this Blue coolant that I got from a buddy at Acura seems to be working really well. I did about 12 dyno pulls the other day in this Texas heat and coolant temp never exceeded 199*.

Last edited by TWS; 08-03-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well, i will def stay with dex, i have never had a problem before, i realize that it should not go 5 yrs or 100,000 miles, plus it is better for aluminum, when asking someone at the dealer about flushing, he didnt say exactly what i was asking, he did say that if i drained the rad about 3 times and refilled with dex each time that it would be adequit enough for servicing, so my thought was if i did it once a year that...... well you see
Old 08-03-2009, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

actually the way i believed is that dex was better for the seals and gaskets, not just the aluminum, mine was 5 yrs old and under 10,000 miles when i bought it, maybe the dex was loosing itsdark orange color, dudes i wouldnt mix that **** if i were you

Last edited by metalmechanic; 08-03-2009 at 08:28 AM.