General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Cobra/Ws6 too much for a 16 year old to handle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first car was a 1991 RS Camaro v8. It was fun for a bit but was still a slug.. I got used to driving that then purchased my ls1 a few months later. Im only 18 but im super careful with my ls1. Mine is an automatic and it is still very powerful. I almost wrecked the car before i even got it home because i was so used to hammering my 91 on red light turning green.. Did that with the ls1 and got it to fish tail like nothing
Old 08-03-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone knows M6 has like a 129rwhp gain over auto..

Just like how ram air gives you an extra 45rwhp
Old 08-03-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think there is a great chance I would be pushing daisys if had a car as powerful as either one of those as my first car. I had to topend every car I drove back in the day and it is good they were not 150mph+ cars.....I got in a few hairy situations that only my guardian angel saved me from I have also been on the ragged edge not meaning too in my T/A.

And those saying get a LT car don't realize stock most are only a tick or two slower than the LS1 cars. I watched a buddy in a LT car run 13.0's last weeked on a catback/BBK/4.10 A4 car.

Let him get a little experience under his belt and then move up IMO........
Old 08-03-2009, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

I think he will think it is an awesome idea at 16 like i did when I was 16. I had an 84 camaro with a 500hp 383 stroker than my uncle built for me with my money back then. It wasn't very pretty because I had all my money in the motor and tranny. I am 25 now and look back and wish I was a lot calmer. I had my license revoked for racing on the streets and careless driveing. When I got it back my insurance was like 400 a month on my car and old truck that were both just liability. I never wrecked it or anything like that never even came close. But the law will get him like every street racer. *** far as getting some tail at school yeah it helps for sure but still. I wish I had not had the car and just had the money it cost me, but it was fun, it's a catch 22 for sure.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To be honest a Terminator as his first car is complete overkill. An ls1 wouldn't be a bad choice if he was responsible, and know's what and what not to do. Honestly i would let him get the ls1 but a lt1 ws6 as his first car would be the better choice, and after a while if he feels he want's something faster, sell the lt1 and get a ls1
Old 08-03-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah man i think its a little too much, I think I got mine around 18 years old and it was too much for me. I had a lot of close calls, not including doing a lot of street racing and hitting a 160 in the car too see what it had, and racing around corners and losing control of the car at 110, luckly just went into a field. Now being 21 I have learned how to be a little smarter with the car and not do a bunch of dumb ****(i still street race though). The car was fun, but for a 16 year old its a lot of car. When your that young you tend to get cocky with that fast of a car, or atleast I did.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Even if he is the most responsible kid in the world, its not a question of being able to trust him with it, its the lack of driving experience that is dangerous. Whats wrong with a new edge GT? Then he can upgrade in a few years.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

definitely way too much for 98% of teenagers, and this is coming from an 18 year old.

i myself would consider myself to be in the other 2%. i'm fairly responsible, have common sense, and grew up with power wheels, minibikes, a dirtbike, doing go karts and what not.

my first car was a 93 z28 with a few bolt ons. i got hit(sitting still) within a month then got my TA. been driving for 18 months now not one accident, never been pulled over(even with lt's, no cats, and no front license plate).

of course if your parents are planning on buying him a $15k car with decent hp and he doesn't have to pay for insurance or any tickets he gets i think he'll be MUCH more likely to do something stupid. having to pay for your own car and insurance definitely gives you some respect for what you own and do, especially if you have to pay out of your own pocket for your mistakes.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe you know him better than anyone on here could even pretend to, so you should know the answer to this already.

My personal opinion is my T/A was my first car when I was 16 and I have not been pulled over once. I more or less drive like a grandma making it shift around 1500 every gear and am perfectly content knowing i can accelerate briskly if the situation presents itself. Good luck with the car search!
Old 08-03-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyris0014
I wasn't about missing a shift or anything. He was saying that autos are slower than m6s. Autos and m6s are the same thing except when roll racing Usually track car=auto street car=stick but its what ever someone prefers
and autos are faster from a dig.. it was just a stupid post all the way around..

Originally Posted by cdwood388
I think he will think it is an awesome idea at 16 like i did when I was 16. I had an 84 camaro with a 500hp 383 stroker than my uncle built for me with my money back then. It wasn't very pretty because I had all my money in the motor and tranny. I am 25 now and look back and wish I was a lot calmer. I had my license revoked for racing on the streets and careless driveing. When I got it back my insurance was like 400 a month on my car and old truck that were both just liability. I never wrecked it or anything like that never even came close. But the law will get him like every street racer. *** far as getting some tail at school yeah it helps for sure but still. I wish I had not had the car and just had the money it cost me, but it was fun, it's a catch 22 for sure.
No, you didnt.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

If you go for the fast car, then TEACH HIM HOW TO DRIVE IT. I agree that it has the potential for disaster, but this is literally just like a gun - if you demonize a gun, tell the kid "don't touch this!!", you build a mystique around it and as soon as nobody is around......the kid will find the gun and play with it, not knowing the power. This right here, the LACK OF PROPER EDUCATION, is where problems start to happen.

However, if you take a 12 year old, hand him a 12 guage under careful supervision, teach him how to respect it, and let him fire it off to truly see the power.....you can bet your *** he'll learn some respect as soon as he actually sees the power unleashed.

Everyone, no matter how much "experience" you may have, is going to get a "first time" with a powerful car, and even if you have been driving a 4cyl for years, you still just don't understand that v8 beast.

I grew up with my fathers modded 1970 Charger R/T. 440 Six-Pack, pistol grip 4 speed, 4.10 Dana rear. He restored/modded the car when I was a young child. This car means serious f-ing business, and will leave any stock ls1 car with it's tail between it's legs. The point is - he made damned sure to take me out in that car, scare the crap out of me, and show me exactly what the limits of a high powered car were, and how and when to reach them safely.

You don't get on the road without drivers ed. You don't fly a plane without lessons. You don't get a gun without training. See the pattern? If you think your bro can be trusted, then help him learn the ropes safely, and if you have to, scare the crap out of him with a donut in a parking lot. Think of it as a bonding experience! In fact, i still say you should go to a parking lot and learn to slide anyhow, but thats another rant for another time.

The idea is, to arbitrarily say "hes a kid so he can't handle it" is flat out ignorant. ANYONE who doesn't understand something WILL screw it up. And you can be the best driver in the world and still get t-boned by a tractor trailer. And, I will admit, there are going to be some people, who are just irresponsible and shouldn't be in command of a high powered vehicle, or anything high powered, for that matter. But he's your brother, and as others have stated, you know him better than any of us could.

How many of you old bastards out there had a 440-, 454-, 428-powered anything, or had friends that had them? Don't BS us younguns - you had muscle cars, you had high horsepower, and on top of that, you had shitty suspensions, even worse brakes, and garbage for tires.

And most of you guys survived, right?

Ok, drunken rant mode off. I guess I'd rather see a 16 year old get a WS6 than to see it wind up as a C4C car. BTW, I got my T/A for 3900 bucks - consider getting a high mileage one and spend some time wrenching on it together - that will further his respect for the project that he spent his time and money on.

Last edited by acslam; 08-03-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lemons, have I ever told you I love your posts?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Launching!

I'm curious how he is going to pay for either of them?

Actually....will he be paying for his car or is it being handed to him? Either way it isn't a real good idea IMO but if he at least pays for it (which I'm kinda doubting) he will respect the car more.

Also, insurance will bend him over no matter what. For ***** and giggles I actually did an insurance quote on an 03 cobra a couple weeks ago because some spoiled *** 16 year old around here drives one. It was 700 dollars PER MONTH for full coverage with a 16 year old driving. Yes....Seven Hundred Dollars a month. A WS6 would be cheaper but not by much. You also have to consider paying for gas. Hope he doesn't mind neglecting his social life to pay for a car...lol...assuming hes actually paying for all this stuff that is...

I should also mention that I've had the truck I do now since I was 16....it had a 4.3 V6 at the time and now looking back it was probably for the best.

Last edited by So-GT0071; 08-03-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

IDK bro... if i would have gotten my Z instead of my old s10 Xtreme, i'd probably be dead by now. I remember one time inparticualr, i was gunning it down a really straight long road with a curve at the end and it was dark at night. I got it up to about 85 and didn't realize the turn was coming up so quick and almost lost it if i wouldnt have slammed on the brakes in time. If i would have had this Z, i would have probably been doing about 120 and would have been no way i could have stopped myself and i would have been wrapped around a tree. I'm not saying it's not possible to be responsible at his age, but you really need to expalin to him the importance of realizing that these cars are no joke and really can kill you easily with the kinds of speeds they can reach.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Get him a decent 6 banger because someone will convince him somehow to hot rod a car like your referring. Whether it be *** or friends or a dare, etc. Let him drive your SS with you in it when you can. When he has a couple of years of driving under his belt, or is on his own, then get him the fast car. Peer pressure is a BITCH, and a killer. This is from personal experiences. Just my .02 on the subject.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Teching In

This is my opinion. Get him a 4 cylinder rice burner for his first car so he can get the hang of driving really good. If he can go one year without getting in a wreck or getting a ticket, then WS6 time. He'll start hating his slow *** car so much after a while that he will always go the speed limit and be cautious just to get that V8 and go to school and kill these kids that think they can slap a turbo on a riceburner and whip every other car. Trust me....this is my exact situation right now.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

I think both is a little much.. He needs to get a beater to start with. Drive that for a couple years and then work his way up.... You cant just jump into a 12 second cobra for a first car.. Not trying to be a dick or anything.. I think it is better if he does get a sports car to find maybe a LT1 car or a auto LS1..
Old 08-03-2009, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jph2275
Hey tech,

I have a brother who will be turning 16 in a few months. He is a smart, shy, and responsible kid. He was always kinda copied what ive done as a role model, and he notices that I like sporty cars...

FBodies, mainly

He likes the trans am ws6, and quite frankly so do i, much more than my SS.

So we have been looking at a few of those, but I cant seem to have much luck finding one that isnt really high miles and/or beaten on pretty bad.

I guess these cars are getting too old to find low mileage

So option 2 is getting him a cobra...

I have found a few 03/04s with low mileage and in great shape in my area..

So he will be getting a sports car of some kind

MY QUESTION

I know how I drove at age 16... I was a lil wild with the throttle and dont know if having a slower rig at that age saved my life

Do you guys think that both of these cars are death traps to the inexperienced?

I want him to get something he wants, that has decent resell value, and has some sex appeal (I mean come on, we all know theres lots of *** to be had in highschool)

An opinion of any kind is appreciated
if you want a dead brother go ahead.. a teen is a teen.. they are going to do dumb ****.. dont give him an opportunity to do it every single day... hes gonna try and impress the girls.. its gonna come back on him.. dont do it
Old 08-03-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

$700 is out of line. I know too many kids with new cars and they don't pay near that.-That would be more than your car payment.

I am getting a WS6, SS, Vette or Goat soon. My insurance wont even cover me for any newer V8 car so I am going to have to put it under my moms name. Then again I think she lied out her *** so I wouldn't get a 89 Trans Am or that 97 LT1 Camaro.

Also I think he is going to have a hard time getting into one since alot of people don't like selling to kids. I went to look at a few muscle cars when I was about 14 and some people wouldn't even let me look at it.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Teching In

If he is as respnsible as you say then go for it! Im 16 and i drive a cammed 01 ws6 m6. You just have to really drill it in his head how these cars can over power you no matter how good you drive it(i went through that)..not saying i have too much experience but these cars dont resemble your moms minivan haha...plus who wouldnt want a cobra or a ws6 in highschool

Quick Reply: Cobra/Ws6 too much for a 16 year old to handle?