General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Cobra/Ws6 too much for a 16 year old to handle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acslam
If you go for the fast car, then TEACH HIM HOW TO DRIVE IT. I agree that it has the potential for disaster, but this is literally just like a gun - if you demonize a gun, tell the kid "don't touch this!!", you build a mystique around it and as soon as nobody is around......the kid will find the gun and play with it, not knowing the power. This right here, the LACK OF PROPER EDUCATION, is where problems start to happen.

However, if you take a 12 year old, hand him a 12 guage under careful supervision, teach him how to respect it, and let him fire it off to truly see the power.....you can bet your *** he'll learn some respect as soon as he actually sees the power unleashed.

Everyone, no matter how much "experience" you may have, is going to get a "first time" with a powerful car, and even if you have been driving a 4cyl for years, you still just don't understand that v8 beast.

I grew up with my fathers modded 1970 Charger R/T. 440 Six-Pack, pistol grip 4 speed, 4.10 Dana rear. He restored/modded the car when I was a young child. This car means serious f-ing business, and will leave any stock ls1 car with it's tail between it's legs. The point is - he made damned sure to take me out in that car, scare the crap out of me, and show me exactly what the limits of a high powered car were, and how and when to reach them safely.

You don't get on the road without drivers ed. You don't fly a plane without lessons. You don't get a gun without training. See the pattern? If you think your bro can be trusted, then help him learn the ropes safely, and if you have to, scare the crap out of him with a donut in a parking lot. Think of it as a bonding experience! In fact, i still say you should go to a parking lot and learn to slide anyhow, but thats another rant for another time.

The idea is, to arbitrarily say "hes a kid so he can't handle it" is flat out ignorant. ANYONE who doesn't understand something WILL screw it up. And you can be the best driver in the world and still get t-boned by a tractor trailer. And, I will admit, there are going to be some people, who are just irresponsible and shouldn't be in command of a high powered vehicle, or anything high powered, for that matter. But he's your brother, and as others have stated, you know him better than any of us could.

How many of you old bastards out there had a 440-, 454-, 428-powered anything, or had friends that had them? Don't BS us younguns - you had muscle cars, you had high horsepower, and on top of that, you had shitty suspensions, even worse brakes, and garbage for tires.

And most of you guys survived, right?

Ok, drunken rant mode off. I guess I'd rather see a 16 year old get a WS6 than to see it wind up as a C4C car. BTW, I got my T/A for 3900 bucks - consider getting a high mileage one and spend some time wrenching on it together - that will further his respect for the project that he spent his time and money on.
I agree. Coming from one of the quiet guys that it looks like the OP says his kid brother is. If you teach him how to handle it and he is not a dumbass i'd say go for it. I also bought my car at 18 with my money if that makes any difference. here's my .02 for what its worth
Old 08-04-2009, 01:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 Pieces of advice:

1) He needs to pay for the car, that might limit him to a $500 beater Civic with no A/C...but he'll live and it'll teach him something that MANY kids (and adults) are missing these days...responsibility. This is more of a rant in general not directed to your brother. For all I know he's been working on the farm/ranch since he was walking and has that down.

2) A good looking, good sounding car with no power would be a 99+ Mustang GT automatic. I think they look good with very little work and sound kick *** with just mufflers. He will probably try to race it, but he'll lose a lot, haha! After he saves up some more $$$ he can throw a blower on it and hang with stock LS1's, then sell it on a Ford site as a Chevy killing monster!
Old 08-04-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

90% of kids are too stupid for a car like that.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I think the throttle stop idea is good, I was going to post that earlier but I couldn't remember what it was called.

A 3rd gen would be a good choice for now. I personally would get him a 60's coupe mustang or some sort of muscle car or even a 2nd gen Bird or Camaro.. They are just so much more easier to work on than a 4th gen. It has been about 9 months and I still haven't changed all my spark plugs in the Camaro, I give the last two a tug every now and then but they won't budge.. However I pulled my T/A and Lemans' out of barns and got them running from scratch no problem. It's actually fun working on those cars and getting dirty unlike with my Camaro.A 3rd gen camaro will always look kinda bad(yeah there are exceptions), but with something like a 72 Cutlass or 65 Mustang he can keep putting more money into and have a kickass ride.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Teching In

I have a lot of experience in this situation. When I turned 16, I bought a 450 rwhp h/c camaro with my mom's co-signiture on a loan. Then I put nitrous on it... I was totally fine in the car, no problems at all.

Now I know plenty of others that, at 16, couldn't handle a v6 mustang. Age/experience doesn't always matter. I learned to drive stick in my 600rwhp m6 z28.

But in general, 16 year olds shouldn't have an ls1 car unless you personally trust them to be responsible for themselves in that situation.

Maybe a 99-04 GT is up his alley? They aren't fast, and are rather easy to drive and control. They are decent cars, though, and would feel like a rocket to a normal 16 year old.

I guess I just wasn't normal.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Maybe a 99-04 GT is up his alley? They aren't fast, and are rather easy to drive and control. They are decent cars, though, and would feel like a rocket to a normal 16 year old.

I agree ^^^
My first car was a 96 mustang gt at the age of 17.
I eventually got use to it and decided to move for a WS6 at 18.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think if he is dead set on getting a RWD car, then go find some piece of **** for dirt cheap, let him slide it around and beat it to hell. then if he still thinks he can control himself with a whole lot of power, let him move up but make him responsible (for paying) for any damage incurred.

that said, i wouldnt recommend getting him one of these cars at 16. an lt1 isnt that much slower, so everyone needs to quit saying that. maybe an AWD car like an STi would be a little safer and a little harder to throw around, and still mod-able, and def not rice.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

As much as I hated it at the time I am SO glad my parents didnt let me buy a V8 when I was 17. Get him a V6 fbody, I had a red firebird with a ram air hood and borla exhaust, it was wicked good looking for my first fbody.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Teching In

i was the same way, i wanted a quick sports car when i turned 16 (my Dad had Vette's and Camaros) i ended up getting a SS Supercharged Cobalt and modded it into the mid 13's. it taught me to respect it, and about a year and a half later i ended up buying my 02 SS Camaro. to be honest i was the same way as you describe him, i was a shy and responsible 16 year old, but if i would have started with my F-Body i would have probably wrapped it around a tree
Old 08-04-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Only one thing you can do... let him try. If he makes it, great. If he dies in a fiery wreck, well, not so great. But you can die in a fiery wreck in a 94 saturn SC2.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bout my first trans am at 16 a 97 lt1 i never really had any problems with it execpt i spun it out in the rain with bold tires why the tires were bold i dont know lol but i loved that car and i moded the **** out of it when i gradualted high school it had full bolt ons 3600 stall and a nice choppy cam! It was cool having the fastet car in school the only other "fast" cars were a gti ss cobalt and 99 mustang gt raced and beat them all lol but way of task!

My point is i would let him buy his own car whatever it may be i saved since i was 13 and i always wanted a muscle car and it was even better buying it myself that will defintly make him proud to buy it himself and he can brag about it when people ask if his parents bought the car!
Old 08-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Launching!

I voted no. Gain experience behind the wheel first and practice defensive drivng. You can kill yourself or others in anything while pushing the limits and impressing your friends. So try something first that won't tie up all of your funds, a lot of your time and crashes at a lower speed.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Oh boy... These threads are always full of spit and bile and some of the lamest replies.
Is that a ******* joke? 5 million + posts?
Old 08-04-2009, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97ta383
I bout my first trans am at 16 a 97 lt1 i never really had any problems with it execpt i spun it out in the rain with bold tires why the tires were bold i dont know lol but i loved that car and i moded the **** out of it when i gradualted high school it had full bolt ons 3600 stall and a nice choppy cam! It was cool having the fastet car in school the only other "fast" cars were a gti ss cobalt and 99 mustang gt raced and beat them all lol but way of task!

My point is i would let him buy his own car whatever it may be i saved since i was 13 and i always wanted a muscle car and it was even better buying it myself that will defintly make him proud to buy it himself and he can brag about it when people ask if his parents bought the car!

LOL, spend so much time with you car that you skipped a few language arts classes? Just giving you hell man!
Old 08-04-2009, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

I did some thinking, it hurt, but I did it anyway.

So here's the deal, I've come up with the perfect car(s) for him. An early to mid 80's Malibu/Cutlass/Regal with a 305 V8. Here's why....cheap enough for HIM to buy, and in the future, perfect drag car material. It'll fit any engine he can afford to stuff in it, it's built like a tank, and you can find some in good shape if ya look hard.

My first car was a 1980 El Camino. It was in great shape, but the paint was ugly colors...anyway, I loved it and it was a great car...still kick myself for selling it!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iluvmuffz28
Is that a ******* joke? 5 million + posts?

of course it is.....
Old 08-04-2009, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

go with a ws6 for three reasons a cobra can be made very fast with lil to any mods(pulley and a tune) 2 mustangs are for girl and 3 more chicks like the trans am then mustangs

Trust me ask all the girls you can find which is nicer they will say firebirds idk why either

PS: get him a stick auto in high school doesn't go great because there are always ******* kids who bitch that auytos are for girls its just not worth him having to tell them auto cars are faster

Just my pointless .02
Old 08-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RSbeast
Go buy a $500 beater 3rd gen and go out and get in a wreck...like slide it up over something or just generally **** it up so he can see how **** can happen so fast.

I wish that happened to me when I was younger...had to ruin one myself and walk for 9 months to learn that lesson. When it's on your own coin and dad's not buying you a new one....it gets real sobering real fast. I try to beat that into my powersliding little brothers head constantly. It only takes ONE wreck and your cobra/ls1 hopes and dreams are written off.

I know what I did in a automatic 4cyl ford probe....I'd be dead if I got the camaro I wanted. My kid is getting something slow, fwd/awd safe and full of airbags. If he wants it to be stickshift, awesome. **** auto. If my girlfriend can easily drive it; you don't have a very badass car. Kids and people in general need to learn some car control, and you get next to dick with an automatic. I wouldve killed for a stick ANYTHING to the point where I was jealous of a friends sunbird. But I would pay for the first car.

If he wants a fast car, he's going to have to have a clean driving record for a year and buy it with his own money. I was even thinking getting into an old DSM (as they will be super-duper old school by the time I have a kid and he's 16 lol) and slowly turning the boost up etc. I think It'd be a blast.
Seems like you know a lot about cars my friend...

And I'm starting to think 16 is almost to young with kids getting more and more immature these days. They have no responsibilty and everything gets handed to them, they have no respect for the things they have. (sorry just ranting a little bit)
Old 08-04-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nitr0racing21
go with a ws6 for three reasons a cobra can be made very fast with lil to any mods(pulley and a tune) 2 mustangs are for girl and 3 more chicks like the trans am then mustangs

Trust me ask all the girls you can find which is nicer they will say firebirds idk why either

PS: get him a stick auto in high school doesn't go great because there are always ******* kids who bitch that auytos are for girls its just not worth him having to tell them auto cars are faster

Just my pointless .02
you can make an ls1 just as fast for the same amount of money...

if more chicks like fbodys more than mustangs why do so many girls drive mustangs and soooo little drive fbodys?

so he would rather people "think" it is fast in a drag race than actually be "fast"...

"just saying.."
Old 08-04-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

I got my first LS1 when I was 17, only reason I didnt get one at 16 was b/c I had to pay for all my cars and needed to save up for a decent down payment for it. But ive been through 9 cars 5 of which were LS1/LT1 F bodies and never wrecked ANY of them. Only accidents I have are where other people who cant drive hit me...

The reason why I believe I never wrecked any are 1. I respected the car and what they were capable of. 2. I had to pay for 100% of it plus insurance so I knew what I had invested in it and what I had to loose if I wrecked it or something happened to it.

If you can help your bro buy a car thats great, IF my parents could of helped me out they would of but I would reccomend not simply handing him the keys and telling him to have fun. I would make him pay for some of it depending on his income and make sure he sees and understands how much it costs so he will appreciate it. Im a firm believer in that and honestly ive known idiots in high school that totaled civics,eclipes, 240's, etc that had 1/3 of the power of my car. Pretty much any car now a days can hit 130-140 REALLLY easy so if kids are going to be stupid there going to be stupid, but if they respect and appreciate the car it wont happen. Hell I remember my first time to the drag strip in my T/A I was running high 13's and 14's b/c I was babying my car so much

Quick Reply: Cobra/Ws6 too much for a 16 year old to handle?