General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Cobra/Ws6 too much for a 16 year old to handle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all about the kid, My first car is my 65' GTO with a 500hp 455, no problem, but I also restored it myself from the ground up since I was 14 and would cry if anything happened to it. When I turned 16 I bought a CBR 954 RR for my 2nd bike, again no problems just speeding ticket's. Lots of people bashed on my parents saying they were killing me. Im still kicking. If he respects his ride it will respect him, if he dosent well...
Old 08-04-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Is the kid paying for it himself? I know that if you have to pay for something yourself you take alot better care of it. I had friends in high school whose parents bought them new ws6s and SS's and they destroyed those cars. They spent more time at the dealership then the school parking lot. If he has to pay for it himself maybe he will understand the value of something and take care of it. I bought my T/A when i was 18 and that car is my baby and i dont **** it up cause i know i have to pay for it.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Teching In

My .02, get him a firebird with a 6 cylinder and buy him a ram air hood for it. It will look like a ws6 and a little safer. Make sure no matter what he gets he isnt going broke paying for it. Car does no good if he is struggling to keep it. Also, till he gets a little older, dont give it to him. He can barrow it, if he keeps grades up and doesnt get any tickets. If you give him car, include a box of condoms in the console.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you go to test drive the LS1, see how he does. And if you think he can handle the power, which im sure a responsible teen could. Then I say get it... If its something he really wants then he will appreciate it an take good care of it. And he'd prolly have the fastest car at school!!
Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i dont know about the kids you guys know but i am going to be 16 very soon and if i get the camaro that im eyeing then im damn sure i wouldnt run it into the ground. im going to baby that car wether i pay for it or not. even though its going to see 1/4 mile time and a few bolt ons. plus reading up on this website i've learned he do's/don'ts about f-bodys and ls1's so i can get a good idea about the boundaries of this car.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by rideon1200
My .02, get him a firebird with a 6 cylinder and buy him a ram air hood for it. It will look like a ws6 and a little safer. Make sure no matter what he gets he isnt going broke paying for it. Car does no good if he is struggling to keep it. Also, till he gets a little older, dont give it to him. He can barrow it, if he keeps grades up and doesnt get any tickets. If you give him car, include a box of condoms in the console.
Those are the kids I made fun of. Nobody respects a poser! If you get a V6, don't try to pretend it's a V8....that irritates the **** out of me. Actually, anyone who makes their car something it isn't irritates me. If it didn't come with the Ram Air hood, leave it of....if it isn't a T/A, don't put the damn T/A hatch on it. To each his own, I guess.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
you can make an ls1 just as fast for the same amount of money...

if more chicks like fbodys more than mustangs why do so many girls drive mustangs and soooo little drive fbodys?

so he would rather people "think" it is fast in a drag race than actually be "fast"...

"just saying.."
Because Mustang's are cheaper and alot parent's don't look at them as "Sports Cars".. Alot of my family thought I drove some bad *** car when they saw my Camaro in the drive way at the family reunion. They didn't say that about my cousin with the Mustang even though his car would whoop mine.

Also, yeah I am with him on the stick vs auto thing. If I had a dollar for every time we were in Auto Tech and a kid looked into a fast car and saw an auto and went "aawwww" I would be a millionaire. It's not like he is going to have a 9 second car, he should get the stick because it's alot funner throwing gears then just hitting the gas. I know auto's are "better" but it just isn't the same.

Even though my 94 M5 and 95 A4 were the same cars, the 94 was alot more fun. Too bad I only drove it twice. I miss that car .

If he is paying for the car, he should get whatever he wants.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
Those are the kids I made fun of. Nobody respects a poser! If you get a V6, don't try to pretend it's a V8....that irritates the **** out of me. Actually, anyone who makes their car something it isn't irritates me. If it didn't come with the Ram Air hood, leave it of....if it isn't a T/A, don't put the damn T/A hatch on it. To each his own, I guess.
it would still have a v6 front and rear bumper.. along with the firebird on its the side and rear filler..

whats wrong with wanting a good looking hood?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
it would still have a v6 front and rear bumper.. along with the firebird on its the side and rear filler..

whats wrong with wanting a good looking hood?
Just not my cup of tea....to each his own.

I'd do a raptor hood first
Old 08-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

He'll probably get tons of ***, Get em the cobra or T/A. He'll figure it out like most of us do. no stupid traffic light racing, no weaving in and out of traffic, no rain drifting, and no 155mph. lol
Old 08-04-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just let us know, what town you live in so we can find the car in the salvage yard after what will happen does. We are always looking for parts, and a sixteen year old kid in one of these cars will end up in the ditch or the back of someone elses car.
My first car was a 84 camaro with a 305 and I did things in it that would make the dukes of hazzard stand in awe. I cant imagine what I would have done with a WS6 or a cobra.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tkimrey
Seems like you know a lot about cars my friend...

And I'm starting to think 16 is almost to young with kids getting more and more immature these days. They have no responsibilty and everything gets handed to them, they have no respect for the things they have. (sorry just ranting a little bit)
I would laugh really hard at that, but whatever.I really don't care if you can hook an auto off the line better and make it into a 'better/faster' drag car. I will be ripping the **** out of my gears, clutching and sideways having 100x more fun than you trying to make up for everything in a straight line.

It's also very fun to downshift, auto cross, open track, and just really enjoy the car and command its every whim at every level. If I am coming within a few tenths at the track and I'm actually DRIVING my car down the track, then it's all the better. Faster or not there's usually a reson kids go 'awww man' when they see a SPORTS (not a full out drag car) with an automatic, because it's like they sucked half the fun out of owning it. I am so pissed they even offer WS6/SS cars in an auto. You can find me some of the best cars in the world/extoics etc. and 95% of the hardcore ones; you get one option. YOU ROW YOUR OWN.

Additonal On-topic thought: Have him buy a ragged 240 with an LSD rear...that'd be super fun and get decent milage too!
Old 08-04-2009, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RSbeast
Go buy a $500 beater 3rd gen and go out and get in a wreck...like slide it up over something or just generally **** it up so he can see how **** can happen so fast.

I wish that happened to me when I was younger...had to ruin one myself and walk for 9 months to learn that lesson. When it's on your own coin and dad's not buying you a new one....it gets real sobering real fast. I try to beat that into my powersliding little brothers head constantly. It only takes ONE wreck and your cobra/ls1 hopes and dreams are written off.

I know what I did in a automatic 4cyl ford probe....I'd be dead if I got the camaro I wanted. My kid is getting something slow, fwd/awd safe and full of airbags. If he wants it to be stickshift, awesome. **** auto. If my girlfriend can easily drive it; you don't have a very badass car. Kids and people in general need to learn some car control, and you get next to dick with an automatic. I wouldve killed for a stick ANYTHING to the point where I was jealous of a friends sunbird. But I would pay for the first car.

If he wants a fast car, he's going to have to have a clean driving record for a year and buy it with his own money. I was even thinking getting into an old DSM (as they will be super-duper old school by the time I have a kid and he's 16 lol) and slowly turning the boost up etc. I think It'd be a blast.

I guess your sweet 94 mustang is obviously much more badass than my firehawk because its stick. I'm jealous, I really am of your amazing way of gear selection. You might want to read this article here. Don't cry too hard though, it seems as if you are a little bit too obsessed with your manual gearbox and might have a breakdown when you can't jerk off to the thought of your sweaty hands rubbing your gear shift. Grow up highschool boy, your not impressing anyone with your manual and attempt to diss 50 percent of the car owners here who have an auto. The computer can always shift faster than you can, and now with paddle shifters your clutch is 100 percent obsolete.

Last edited by JPCrazyLegs; 08-05-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

i got my SS when i was 15 because of family tradition. my mom and dad both had camaros that their parents got them or they bought. my dad took me to parking lots and i learned to drive it. I knew that it was fast but my parents said if i got a ticket its gone. I do get on it every once in a while but im not stupid about it cause i dont want my car takin away. now im 18 and still have my car no tickets/wrecks. I think that if he respects the car he will take care of it and not do stupid stuff to put him in danger for him self/others
Old 08-05-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

Haha I'm just turned 19 and just bout my ls1 car, lucky kid! Lol I started with a 89 rs 2.8 t-5, then 91 rs 3.1 t-5, then a 91 rs 5.0 700r(also slower than the 3.1 lol) to a 96z with boltons(13.4 @ 106 2.3 60') Now car in sig and man let me tell you what a differnce in power thru all of them. Everyone doubts the lt's and they go just as quick as the ls and feel more torquey. I think if he's been around these kind of cars for awhile and has some control he will be ok. He will learn to respect an ls1 alot faster coming from expierience, because I beat the living hell out of my all my cars. This one I'm alot more easy on because I don't have to get on it hard to get it to go anywhere.

Let's all be honest, no matter what he gets he is gonna beat the **** out of it just like we all did in highschool. Just take him to a big parking lot and let him get the feel of losing control and stuff he'll do just fine!
Old 08-05-2009, 01:32 AM
Teching In

It really goes with the kids personality and how he drives..

I'm only 20 and had 3 cars so far.

my first one was a buick dont even remember what year cuz i had it for 2 weeks and then trashed it..lol piece of ****...

my second one was an 2006 evo 9 i was 17 had it for about 3 months and it got destroyed by some guy that drifted out of the corner and crashed into my parked car.

now i have a 1998 trans am ws6 that i gave a few dents here and there cuz i wasnt used to driving it. (going from an all wheel drive to a rear wheel v8 is a huge difference) so far had it for 2 years and i love it more then anything. but i dont think this car should be a first car.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My first car was a 66 mustang given to me by my grandfather still have it and its babied. When I turned 17 I bought a v6 firebird as a dd cuz I was afraid to wreck the stang. Now I'm 18 and ready to go off to college and I really was heartset on an ls1. Ive got my 02 z now and yes the cars do have a lot of power for kids... However they can be driven normally. I know I'm still a kid but your only a teen once and that badass v8 is cool lol. Get him one and see how he does my parents were fine with it but if I get a ticket its on me and I also had to buy the car, which makes you think a lot more about toasting off a set of tires. Also having asr makes it a lot harder to fool around the cars have ***** and spinning the tires is very easy so having the asr is just a little reminder to let off.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Launching!

He makes a good point about the asr ^^^^ I didn't even think about because mine is always off. Not that he couldn't just flip the switch but having it there may help.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JPCrazyLegs
I guess your sweet 94 mustang is obviously much more badass than my firehawk because its stick. I'm jealous, I really am of your amazing way of gear selection. You might want to read this article here. Don't cry too hard though, it seems as if you are a little bit too obsessed with your manual gearbox and might have a breakdown when you can't jerk off to the thought of your sweaty hands rubbing your gear shift. Grow up highschool boy, your not impressing anyone with your manual and attempt to diss 50 percent of the car owners here who have an auto. The computer can always shift faster than you can, and now with paddle shifters your clutch is 100 percent obsolete.
Can't wait for you to post pics of your sweet paddle shift firehawk

******* 4l60e is a ******* marvel of engineering right there..lol
It doesn't matter what brand of car you are talking about (or you'd like to bias over), aside from some 20k super high tech gearboxes, and the absolute latest and greatest, my argument stands. I'm just saying if you are going to learn to drive, you should start with three pedals.

Look an automatic icon!

*maybe the icon has a manual valvbody *
Old 08-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Teching In

i know there's 5 pages to this thread, and i read none of it, but here goes anyways

that will most likely be too much car for a 16 year old, but only being 20 myself, i cant really speak. just make sure he's responsible with it, that he respects the power it has, etc etc

i started out with a grand prix GTP when i was 16, and holy **** was i stupid with it. especially when i had it running mid 13's by the time i was 17. and im sure when i get my ws6 i'll be a bit stupid with it as its still more power then my grand prix had. just gotta be careful WHERE you mess around at. lol

you be the judge, you think he's responsible enough for that kind of power? then do it. if not, don't take the chance.

Quick Reply: Cobra/Ws6 too much for a 16 year old to handle?