General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Cobra/Ws6 too much for a 16 year old to handle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobra/Ws6 too much for a 16 year old to handle?

Hey tech,

I have a brother who will be turning 16 in a few months. He is a smart, shy, and responsible kid. He was always kinda copied what ive done as a role model, and he notices that I like sporty cars...

FBodies, mainly

He likes the trans am ws6, and quite frankly so do i, much more than my SS.

So we have been looking at a few of those, but I cant seem to have much luck finding one that isnt really high miles and/or beaten on pretty bad.

I guess these cars are getting too old to find low mileage

So option 2 is getting him a cobra...

I have found a few 03/04s with low mileage and in great shape in my area..

So he will be getting a sports car of some kind

MY QUESTION

I know how I drove at age 16... I was a lil wild with the throttle and dont know if having a slower rig at that age saved my life

Do you guys think that both of these cars are death traps to the inexperienced?

I want him to get something he wants, that has decent resell value, and has some sex appeal (I mean come on, we all know theres lots of *** to be had in highschool)

An opinion of any kind is appreciated
Old 08-03-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh boy... These threads are always full of spit and bile and some of the lamest replies.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jph2275
Hey tech,

I have a brother who will be turning 16 in a few months. He is a smart, shy, and responsible kid. He was always kinda copied what ive done as a role model, and he notices that I like sporty cars...

FBodies, mainly

He likes the trans am ws6, and quite frankly so do i, much more than my SS.

So we have been looking at a few of those, but I cant seem to have much luck finding one that isnt really high miles and/or beaten on pretty bad.

I guess these cars are getting too old to find low mileage

So option 2 is getting him a cobra...

I have found a few 03/04s with low mileage and in great shape in my area..

So he will be getting a sports car of some kind

MY QUESTION

I know how I drove at age 16... I was a lil wild with the throttle and dont know if having a slower rig at that age saved my life

Do you guys think that both of these cars are death traps to the inexperienced?

I want him to get something he wants, that has decent resell value, and has some sex appeal (I mean come on, we all know theres lots of *** to be had in highschool)

An opinion of any kind is appreciated
Personally yes, I would say it's too much for a first car. They can get you into trouble in a hurry. How about an older IROC or 5.0 mustang? They are cool cars, affordable, quick...? I dunno, just a suggestion.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You just have to show him how to control it. I am wild on the throttle but my Camaro is slow as *****, my T/A makes 3x the horsepower and I don't mess around that much at all. I guess it's just because were trying to compensate for the power loss in our slower cars.

If he is truly the way you describe him then he should be fine. Just show him the ropes, take him to a parking lot and teach him what to do if the car slides out etc..

None of the kids that I know of have had any issues in their cars, there are a few with WS6's, an LT1 and another has a Supra, none of them have wrecked theirs.

If you really don't think he can handle it then get him an older f-bod or mustang for $1000 or something, it only takes about a month for you to get the hang of driving. Then he can upgrade to the WS6 or Cobra..

How much cash is he looking to spend?
Old 08-03-2009, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Dont get him a terminator cobra.. Those are superrrrrrrrr powerful
Old 08-03-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say he needs a beater 4 cylinder as his first car. 16 and V8 do not mix well imo. Then he can save up his money and pay cash for a nicer car when he turns 18.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:36 PM
12 Second Club

can you somehow detune it? restrictor plate? get a goat drive by wire and stop it at 75% lol. or lock the t/c on? for a little while until he will relax.

the thing will do everything which will benefit him this way and also not let him go apeshit if someone wants to race or cuts him off.

Last edited by disc0monkey; 08-03-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would say dont get him one.. not because its too much necessarily (which it is for a couple more years) but because he needs to learn how to take care of a car first...

get him a decent lt1 or maybe even a V6 98-02... personally i would do an lt1 trans am and put honeycomb tails in it along with front end conversion...

something he will end up loving and when he is done paying it off (they are cheap and will be done fast) he can DD it and then get a nice ls1 to have as a toy..

my .02..
Old 08-03-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Horrible Idea.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
i would say dont get him one.. not because its too much necessarily (which it is for a couple more years) but because he needs to learn how to take care of a car first...

get him a decent lt1 or maybe even a V6 98-02... personally i would do an lt1 trans am and put honeycomb tails in it along with front end conversion...

something he will end up loving and when he is done paying it off (they are cheap and will be done fast) he can DD it and then get a nice ls1 to have as a toy..

my .02..
+1....I wouldn't get a 16 yr old a WS6 or cobra, a nice lt1 would be perfect.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Teching In

i have had both cars.The cobra has to much power for a first time driver and very easy to get out of shape with.A automatic ws6 is a way better choice for a beginner driver in my opinion.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by anthony1
i have had both cars.The cobra has to much power for a first time driver and very easy to get out of shape with.A automatic ws6 is a way better choice for a beginner driver in my opinion.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12

my .02..
My first car was a v6 firebird. I agree with the v6, an lt1 still has some ***** to it but its still a step down from a cobra or ws6
Old 08-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Banned

I got mine when I was 17... Depends on the kid really...Wait never mind...I did alot of street racing...... ANY high school kid is going to race his V8...no ifs ands or butts...
Old 08-03-2009, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by anthony1
Yea cause autos are soooo slow
Old 08-03-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

mine was...

1994 pontiac grand am.. blew it up in 2 weeks.. treated it like complete ****..
1995 v6 3.4 camaro.. i took care of this car like it was my baby..
1999 V6 3.8 firebird.. took pretty good care of this car, was black and got tired of cleaning it..
1998 Trans Am.. was my baby at first and then went more to a drag car... we all know how drag cars are treated..
2000 Trans Am.. my baby now, and will continue to be! just bought some RPM 505s!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

Remember this...ultimately, it's not up to you the big brother...Your parents/legal gaurdian will have the last say as to what He'll be driving to and from school/work/parties etc. I'm in the same boat as you; my little brother is 16 and always asks if he can borrow my car to take to school and stuff. If I'm not going anywhere I don't see the problem...honestly he borrowed my car to take to his junior prom. He said that it was the only fast car there...and my motor's stock for the most part. As long as "mom and dad" are okay with him borrowing my car...I'm okay.

But what is it that he can afford? If he can afford an LS1, and the parents are okay with him having one...then my opinion is to go for it. You're only 16 once, right?! Just remember...if he wrecks it or worse, something happens to him...you'll blame yourself.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cyris0014
Yea cause autos are soooo slow
I think if he had an M6 he would miss a shift, get scared and end up like those ricers on youtube.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Just get him a V6 firebird
Old 08-03-2009, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
I think if he had an M6 he would miss a shift, get scared and end up like those ricers on youtube.
I wasn't about missing a shift or anything. He was saying that autos are slower than m6s. Autos and m6s are the same thing except when roll racing Usually track car=auto street car=stick but its what ever someone prefers

Quick Reply: Cobra/Ws6 too much for a 16 year old to handle?