General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Cobra/Ws6 too much for a 16 year old to handle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JPCrazyLegs
The computer can always shift faster than you can, and now with paddle shifters your clutch is 100 percent obsolete.
Given that clutches are 100% obsolete, do me a favor and explain to me why Pro Stock guys run a Liberty manual trans. When you're done with that, explain why road course guys use a manual trans.

Thanks.

Regarding the original topic, very bad idea IMO. I put my first car (3rd gen Trans Am) into a tree at 100mph due to me being a reckless kid.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked my mom into taking my dads 02 SS for my 16th birthday to the local road course while he was at work, and I raced around a track at 110+mph before I had my license. I paid for it all cause I had been saving money for a few years I bought new pads and tires too. Im not saying its a good idea to let a 16 year old drive somthing like that but it worked out for me. Now ive got almost 30k miles in that car and ive paid my dad 10k for it. Ill NEVER sell it. Ill keep rebuilding that car till one of us is dead for good.

I think the track experience really helped me though, I learned real quick when that thing would slide and how to control it.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unit213
Given that clutches are 100% obsolete, do me a favor and explain to me why Pro Stock guys run a Liberty manual trans. When you're done with that, explain why road course guys use a manual trans.

Thanks.

Regarding the original topic, very bad idea IMO. I put my first car (3rd gen Trans Am) into a tree at 100mph due to me being a reckless kid.
Thought the Pro Stock guys were running clutchless Liberty or G-Forces?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
Thought the Pro Stock guys were running clutchless Liberty or G-Forces?
Nope. They run a clutch...same with a few Pro Outlaw and ADRL cars, like
Billy Glidden for example.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Nope. They run a clutch...same with a few Pro Outlaw and ADRL cars, like
Billy Glidden for example.
Clutch for launch...not for shifting, in Pro Stock anyway.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RSbeast
I would laugh really hard at that, but whatever.I really don't care if you can hook an auto off the line better and make it into a 'better/faster' drag car. I will be ripping the **** out of my gears, clutching and sideways having 100x more fun than you trying to make up for everything in a straight line.

It's also very fun to downshift, auto cross, open track, and just really enjoy the car and command its every whim at every level. If I am coming within a few tenths at the track and I'm actually DRIVING my car down the track, then it's all the better. Faster or not there's usually a reson kids go 'awww man' when they see a SPORTS (not a full out drag car) with an automatic, because it's like they sucked half the fun out of owning it. I am so pissed they even offer WS6/SS cars in an auto. You can find me some of the best cars in the world/extoics etc. and 95% of the hardcore ones; you get one option. YOU ROW YOUR OWN.

Additonal On-topic thought: Have him buy a ragged 240 with an LSD rear...that'd be super fun and get decent milage too!
have you ever even drove a high horsepower A4? im going to assume not.. there is more to "just stomping it"... if you dont have enough traction, its a challenge... but if you have traction and enough power.... keeping the front down is always a good time..

not EVERYBODY "loves" manuals.. i am one of those people.. bought one for 1 month and sold it.. i like straight line speed... drag racing to be specific.. therefore i would NEVER buy an m6 over an A4...

also, FWIW... we dont own "sports" cars... we own "modern muscle cars".. sports cars are 2 seats, no rear.. vette/miata/etc etc etc..

the kids that go "awwwww its an a4" dont know **** about drag racing..
there is kids that do that in my town and i ask why the comment.. they ssay because autos are slow and m6s DESTROY a4s in a race.. they also say the m6 can stay in stock form and handle as much power as you want it to while a4s break under stock power..

in sports cars manual should be the only option... but in a muscle car, why wouldnt you want an a4? especially if your going to race..

you have a very close minded outlook on the subject.. and you are not too bright with some of the comments.. BOTH the m6 and a4 shine in different situations.. for racing i would chose a4 hands down everytime.. because i would rather be 2/10ths faster and "not drive my car" my god that sounds so dumb when people say that.. than be behind 2 car lengths and "driving my car"....

EDIT::: im also going to assume you have only owned stock converter a4s.. a stalled auto is a COMPLETELY different animal..
Old 08-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Clutch for launch...not for shifting, in Pro Stock anyway.
Just because a clutch pedal isn't involved doesn't mean a clutch doesn't exist.
The trans has a clutch...and a very expensive one at that.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
have you ever even drove a high horsepower A4? im going to assume not.. there is more to "just stomping it"... if you dont have enough traction, its a challenge... but if you have traction and enough power.... keeping the front down is always a good time..

not EVERYBODY "loves" manuals.. i am one of those people.. bought one for 1 month and sold it.. i like straight line speed... drag racing to be specific.. therefore i would NEVER buy an m6 over an A4...

also, FWIW... we dont own "sports" cars... we own "modern muscle cars".. sports cars are 2 seats, no rear.. vette/miata/etc etc etc..

the kids that go "awwwww its an a4" dont know **** about drag racing..
there is kids that do that in my town and i ask why the comment.. they ssay because autos are slow and m6s DESTROY a4s in a race.. they also say the m6 can stay in stock form and handle as much power as you want it to while a4s break under stock power..

in sports cars manual should be the only option... but in a muscle car, why wouldnt you want an a4? especially if your going to race..

you have a very close minded outlook on the subject.. and you are not too bright with some of the comments.. BOTH the m6 and a4 shine in different situations.. for racing i would chose a4 hands down everytime.. because i would rather be 2/10ths faster and "not drive my car" my god that sounds so dumb when people say that.. than be behind 2 car lengths and "driving my car"....

EDIT::: im also going to assume you have only owned stock converter a4s.. a stalled auto is a COMPLETELY different animal..

Hey smartass, my Camaro has two seats, does that turn it into a sports car? I would never by an a4 over an m6 even if I wanted to drag race it. Just my preference, autos are too boring and uninvolved for me. The only advantage I see to an auto is consistancy at the strip, and who wants to just run the same time, every time?

You act like you know it all, but you just sound stupid to me. Why do you think anybody on here cares about your kids opinion on transmissions anyway?
Old 08-05-2009, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Like I said, its straightline only...*shrugs*
Old 08-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by duffman
...and who wants to just run the same time, every time?
Only every single competitive drag racer in the world.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Only every single competitive drag racer in the world.

Meh, I guess thats why im not a big drag racer... But I can definatly see how thats true especially if your racing for money or somthing.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by duffman
Hey smartass, my Camaro has two seats, does that turn it into a sports car? I would never by an a4 over an m6 even if I wanted to drag race it. Just my preference, autos are too boring and uninvolved for me. The only advantage I see to an auto is consistancy at the strip, and who wants to just run the same time, every time?

You act like you know it all, but you just sound stupid to me. Why do you think anybody on here cares about your kids opinion on transmissions anyway?
What's it like to be a ******* retard?

Autos are boring to you because you've never driven a car with some serious power, apparently. My guess is you'd be wall paint if you ever went down the track with anything over 350hp.

EDIT: Didn't see you were from Oklahoma...sorry about all the big words.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

What's it like to be a ******* retard?

Autos are boring to you because you've never driven a car with some serious power, apparently. My guess is you'd be wall paint if you ever went down the track with anything over 350hp.

EDIT: Didn't see you were from Oklahoma...sorry about all the big words.
Hey now be nice some of us okies have a reasonable amount of intelligence.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

agree with most.. i wouldnt go with a strong car like a fbody or even a 03/04 cobra.. it will be nice to have. but hes gonna be too inexperienced. get a small beater.. heck i know everybody here on tech had a beater for there first cars. LOL!!
Old 08-05-2009, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by velox65
Hey now be nice some of us okies have a reasonable amount of intelligence.
Prove it! LOL

Ok, seriously, though when I was in Ok there was a political ad and one of the pros to voting for this guy was the he could count to 10. Seriously, it wasn't a joke...
Plus, where I was had the OARC...so that was, um, interesting.

But I get where you're coming from, all states have 'tards that run wild...and it's so hard to keep them off forums.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tkimrey
He makes a good point about the asr ^^^^ I didn't even think about because mine is always off. Not that he couldn't just flip the switch but having it there may help.
Ya that is true and if i wanna have fun its just a flick away. The auto helps too I get in my buddys m6 and I find I get this weird twitching problem... My left leg slips to the left and my right just seems to go down..
Old 08-05-2009, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by redbird555
My first car was a 66 mustang given to me by my grandfather still have it and its babied. When I turned 17 I bought a v6 firebird as a dd cuz I was afraid to wreck the stang. Now I'm 18 and ready to go off to college and I really was heartset on an ls1. Ive got my 02 z now and yes the cars do have a lot of power for kids... However they can be driven normally. I know I'm still a kid but your only a teen once and that badass v8 is cool lol. Get him one and see how he does my parents were fine with it but if I get a ticket its on me and I also had to buy the car, which makes you think a lot more about toasting off a set of tires. Also having asr makes it a lot harder to fool around the cars have ***** and spinning the tires is very easy so having the asr is just a little reminder to let off.
The ASR wires could be relocated and put on a keyed switch, say...in the console or ash tray or whatever...then he HAS to kinda behave.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Prove it! LOL

Ok, seriously, though when I was in Ok there was a political ad and one of the pros to voting for this guy was the he could count to 10. Seriously, it wasn't a joke...
Plus, where I was had the OARC...so that was, um, interesting.

But I get where you're coming from, all states have 'tards that run wild...and it's so hard to keep them off forums.
Well have you seen some of our women we have? Cant be to dumb to stick around the cowgirls lol
Old 08-05-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

I got my T/A when i turned 16. Im 17 now, and im proud to say its not too much car. The power gets old after a while, and you learn that showing off just makes you look stupid. Learn to use the cruise control and keep out of the throttle. Cops will watch you until you prove yourself a respectable driver. I got all the same sh*t when i got my car...ie too much power, get a v6, ect. Just respect the car and the law, and you'll have 0 issues
Old 08-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1-NAVY
i got my SS when i was 15 because of family tradition. my mom and dad both had camaros that their parents got them or they bought. my dad took me to parking lots and i learned to drive it. I knew that it was fast but my parents said if i got a ticket its gone. I do get on it every once in a while but im not stupid about it cause i dont want my car takin away. now im 18 and still have my car no tickets/wrecks. I think that if he respects the car he will take care of it and not do stupid stuff to put him in danger for him self/others
[Knocks on wood]

Quick Reply: Cobra/Ws6 too much for a 16 year old to handle?