General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How to handle cash situation

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to handle cash situation

Ok. Ended up not getting that white z28 I made a thread about before. I am flying down to Texas to get a 02 Z28 on sat. 19th. I will be paying $8,750, but I am wondering what the best way to go about paying. The guy doesn't care how I do it. I want to do straight cash, but I don't want to get hassled at the airport. I also don't really want to do a cashiers check because if it comes back bad, i'm out of luck. What would you do in my situation?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2009, 06:54 PM
NKAWTG...N

I've never heard of a cashier's check coming back bad...

But you can get a money order from the post office. That's what I did for my down payment.

Or wire the dude the money.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Where are you from? I live in NJ and drove to CT to buy my Trans Am with $11,000 cash in my pocket. I was paranoid that I would get pulled over out of state with that much in my pocket.
If you are hell bent on paying cash you should probably drive. If you can't I would suggest listening to StoleIt.
Or you could just put it in a carry on bag and if they ask you what your doing with that money, tell them that your going to pay cash for a used car, that might work. I wouldn't try it though.

Someone with more airport experience chime in. I haven't flown anywhere in 8 years.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pseudonym
Where are you from? I live in NJ and drove to CT to buy my Trans Am with $11,000 cash in my pocket. I was paranoid that I would get pulled over out of state with that much in my pocket.
If you are hell bent on paying cash you should probably drive. If you can't I would suggest listening to StoleIt.
Or you could just put it in a carry on bag and if they ask you what your doing with that money, tell them that your going to pay cash for a used car, that might work. I wouldn't try it though.

Someone with more airport experience chime in. I haven't flown anywhere in 8 years.
I'm from IL. I have the plane ticket booked, im flying down regardless.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StoleIt
I've never heard of a cashier's check coming back bad...

But you can get a money order from the post office. That's what I did for my down payment.

Or wire the dude the money.
If i would wire the money, could the bank in Texas hold that money till i got there and drove the car to see if it was legit? Basically what im asking is can the bank hold the money till i get there, then with my permission transfer the funds to his account?
Old 09-17-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just get a cashiers check from YOUR bank..........
Old 09-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can wire the money to yourself. That way you can pay cash without the airport hassel.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Just get a cashiers check from YOUR bank..........
thats what i would do. a cashiers check is secured funds. i would never carry that much cash on a plane witht the way things are today. or you could do a postal money order also.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe you can carry up to $10,000 on a plane. ill look into it for ya
Old 09-17-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah dude, what are they going to do to you? I would be more worried about getting robbed or losing your pants on the plane.

As long as you look like a straight stand up guy that doesn't have a kilo stuffed up his *** you will be fine, unless $100 bills have metal injected in them. They are not going to search your pockets.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Launching!

The only cashier's checks I've heard of going bad are the fake ones from scams...so you really shouldn't need to worry about it. It's how I paid for my car.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:17 PM
12 Second Club

If you have a national bank you could just wait till you get down there, find a local branch and then either get cash or a cashiers check. If not, I'm with the guys above, take a cashiers check, as long as it's from your bank it's guranteed. I would be more worried about loosing the money or it getting stolen. I flew from SC to Texas last year to get my '01, I just took a cashiers check, just make sure you have license/insurance worked out before you start driving the car back.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Regular

Cahsiers check, or you can transfer funds from your bank account to his. Make sure you can get tags too, I drove my TA from virginia all the way down to miami FL with no tags lol.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Launching!

Get a cashiers check. People like to insist on "cash," but there's no f-ing way I'd walk around with thousands of dollars in cash. That just me though.

Any REASONABLE person will work with someone that has a bank draft (i.e. both parties go to bank and the seller hands over the keys/title when the check clears). The woman I bought my car from was a f-ing whack job. She NEEDED the cash NOW (i.e. NOW...not 20 minutes from now). I almost walked away from the deal but managed to convince her that with 20 minutes of her time, she could get the cash from my bank.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 162 Likes on 114 Posts

I just went to Virginia to my my SOM camaro. I took a bus down with a transit plate, the car already insured, a check from the bank for 9k, and a GPS unit for the trip back. Got there; checked the car out, had him sign a transfer of ownership and the title over to me. Then I gave him his check and drove back. Didn't get pulled over the whole way and it was 35 dollars in tolls. Now I paid the excise tax and the beast is registered.

End of story
Old 09-18-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

1. As long as the seller is ok with it, a cashier's check from your bank as mentioned is the way to go.

2. If you currently have an insurance policy, most insurance companies give you a 30 day grace period. Meaning say you buy a car and wreck it on the way home or within 30 days of buying it and you didn't put it on your existing policy with your other cars yet. It is covered by your existing policy even though this specific car isn't listed on the policy yet. No sense paying for insurance for a couple days or whatever for a car you may end up not buying.

3. Take a license plate off one of your other cars with you and use it. If you get pulled over just tell them you sold that car and will be transferring the plates to this new car.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Well, if it were me I would open up a checking account at a large branch bank with offices all over (ala Wells Fargo, ING, ect...) and fund it with the exact amount you plan to pay the guy. Then when you fly down, just hit the nearest Wells Fargo and withdraw the cash there with him there and hand it right over. Also, a lot of banks like to give you free money when you open up a checking account (I got a free $50 for opening up a Wells Fargo checking account)
Not sure if it's worth the hassle for you but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable carrying that much cash anywhere.
Otherwise if he doesn't mind a cashier's check, I would go that route and save the PITA.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 69camaross
1. As long as the seller is ok with it, a cashier's check from your bank as mentioned is the way to go.

2. If you currently have an insurance policy, most insurance companies give you a 30 day grace period. Meaning say you buy a car and wreck it on the way home or within 30 days of buying it and you didn't put it on your existing policy with your other cars yet. It is covered by your existing policy even though this specific car isn't listed on the policy yet. No sense paying for insurance for a couple days or whatever for a car you may end up not buying.

3. Take a license plate off one of your other cars with you and use it. If you get pulled over just tell them you sold that car and will be transferring the plates to this new car.
Anyone that goes that route should be prepared for the seller to ask them to go with them to cash it (as I mentioned above). I have to admit that there's no way in hell that I'd turn over the title to a vehicle after receiving just a check. Now if the buyer went with me to the bank and it cleared, then it's all good. That's just something that anyone who's planning on using a check should be prepared for...
Old 09-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

certified check from your bank is the way to go..
Old 09-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Well guys, ended up just taking cash because he said he wanted to have cash since i brought him down from 10k. Everything worked out fine, car is great, and I will post pics tommorow morning when I get it clean from its 700 mile trip.