General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Does anyone hated his fbody someday ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by the_beast
good description !!! thanks for the advice.... but I don't know
I wouldn't expect you to know, because I couldn't have known how much of a difference they made before I had them. You will be driving a completely different animal. Youll be fixing the problems with the car, because the problem isnt the car itself, its the shock's valving.
If I wanted a different car, I could never downgrade to a 350Z. Been in one on the backroads and the car wouldn't be able to touch me, on top of that it was full of rattles and had iffy quality, very disappointing for a "new" car.
Hell I would have to be looking at atleast a C5 Z06 because a base vette wouldn't handle as well either...
Old 10-18-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buy a 350z and do a ls1 swap it wouldnt be a gay car anymore
Old 10-18-2009, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Do yourself a huge favor and invest in some koni single adjustable's ( http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...ID=20&ModelID= ) you will thank me later.
These will fix all the ride and handling problems that bother you. I hated the way my car handled and rode with the stock shocks, but after the konis it was comparable to a newer 3 series, no joke.
Im sure your thinking "how much of a difference can shocks really make?"
Well, lets see...
You know the typical choppy, jarring, and loose ride quality? Thats the stock shocks.
You know the sloppy body movements at speed, twitchy nervous handling and floaty-ness? Or how the rear like to snap out at the limit?
thats the stock shocks...
You know how the car can sometimes feel like two different cars front and rear, disconnected from each other? Thats the stock shocks...
Put it this way, after being on konis, I wouldn't own another fbody without them.
do they really make it that much better? might have to look into these...

you live pretty damn close. you ever go to any local car shows, meets, etc.?
Old 10-18-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lmao, i have thought the exact same thing. i get in that same mood sometimes when i hit a bump or i see the crappy interior and **** just stops working like window motors, and when i first bought the car i blew up every single stock speaker without even turning it up that loud. sometimes i wish it handled and rode like a bmw or somthing.

but

when i smoke the **** out of a nice expencive car i really dont give a **** anymore for a while.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69camaross
A Camaro says F*CK YOU! to the world and that you don't need all of that cushy BS in your car. It's low, loud, makes no compromises and in turn is only deserving of a true American performance car enthusiast.

I will never own a different brand's performance car as it doesn't "speak my language." BMW's are nice but boring and in my mind require too much investment financially for what you end up with.

I been trying to get back in a car, but nothing really fits my personality more then my Camaro did.

I like BMW's, great overall car, but still not a perfect fit for me. Corvette would seem like a good upgrade from an Fbody, but its not me still.

I now wonder if I should of sold my Camaro. No it doesnt perform like a vette overall and its not luxurious like a BMW. However, it did fit my personality and I can't find another car to really fill its shoes.

Damn I miss that WOT of 408 cubes, made my daily commute of 80 miles so enjoyable.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Add koni sa's, 35/22 sways, &some good summer tires &you'll be amazed at how the car handles. The truth really is in the shocks. The stock decarbons are near useless. Even if u can't justify koni prices, at least get kyb or bilstein. Even they will transform the car, imo.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is just a car to you now, then sell it. We all know the issues with owning and driving F-Bods, and our passion outweighs them. If you are at the point where the issues are more annoying than the positives, let it go to someone who will love it. Life is too short to pump gas into in something you hate. We will be here in a few years should you feel nostalgic and buy another F-Body.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

To the folks who don't yet have shocks, springs and sway bars...yes they make a HUGH difference with these cars. Search for 'Strano'...lots of great info. Lots of people have a love/hate relationship with their cars, not just F-bodies either. To the OP, figure out what car you really want, find a forum for that type car and ask the same question there and see what you get. Lets face it, these cars are GM products...you can't expect to much. I think I've been pretty lucky with my '01 Z28. Few problems, except the ones that have been self-induced! But with that said you can't beat the 'bang for the buck' factor with these cars. Have you ever priced a Griggs or M.M. suspension for a Mustang? You will spend thousands of dollars for a suspension that F-bodies come stock with. A BMW? Not without a warranty, thank you! Import cars? I've had a few in the past. Most are overrated...and slow. If and when I get rid of my Camaro it might be for a C5 as an upgrade. But it might be for a lowered fullsize Chevy truck. Not as an upgrade but just because its something I'd like. Maybe an early A-body? Had a couple of lowered El Caminos (64 and 65) in the past. Just my opinion. Good luck to everyone and your cars.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Exactly what I was going to say. My 00 has 70k miles and looks, rides, performs, even smells brand new.

If you are a true Camaro enthusiast you wouldn't be asking this question. Not ripping on you personally, more so on those that just buy the LS1 cars only because they are the fastest affordable sports cars out there. Meaning if the current Mustang was faster a lot of you would be Ford boys.

I buy Camaros because I bleed Chevrolet especially when it comes to Camaros. I didn't buy my latest Camaro because it has 2 cup holders, or a billion air bags, or some shiny trim on the dash surrounding a blinky radio face plate. I bought it because it's the last standing member of the true American Performance car movement which began in 1964 and for all but a few ended in 1972. A Camaro says F*CK YOU! to the world and that you don't need all of that cushy BS in your car. It's low, loud, makes no compromises and in turn is only deserving of a true American performance car enthusiast.

I will never own a different brand's performance car as it doesn't "speak my language." BMW's are nice but boring and in my mind require too much investment financially for what you end up with. The 350Z is a joke that I don't even need to tell.

If you're done with yours sell it as there are a million people in line who can't wait to own their very own piece of American performance car history.
Amen brother
Old 10-21-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Your nuts still love my car after 3+ years, got about another year of payments then I really get to tear into her! I ll definitely add some more cars to the stable after college but have no plans of selling my first.

Let us know if your gonna sell it? lol

Last edited by jrob56; 10-21-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:56 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Exactly what I was going to say. My 00 has 70k miles and looks, rides, performs, even smells brand new.

If you are a true Camaro enthusiast you wouldn't be asking this question. Not ripping on you personally, more so on those that just buy the LS1 cars only because they are the fastest affordable sports cars out there. Meaning if the current Mustang was faster a lot of you would be Ford boys.

I buy Camaros because I bleed Chevrolet especially when it comes to Camaros. I didn't buy my latest Camaro because it has 2 cup holders, or a billion air bags, or some shiny trim on the dash surrounding a blinky radio face plate. I bought it because it's the last standing member of the true American Performance car movement which began in 1964 and for all but a few ended in 1972. A Camaro says F*CK YOU! to the world and that you don't need all of that cushy BS in your car. It's low, loud, makes no compromises and in turn is only deserving of a true American performance car enthusiast.

I will never own a different brand's performance car as it doesn't "speak my language." BMW's are nice but boring and in my mind require too much investment financially for what you end up with. The 350Z is a joke that I don't even need to tell.

If you're done with yours sell it as there are a million people in line who can't wait to own their very own piece of American performance car history.
This pretty much sums up my attitude as well.

Most people follow trends, and a 350z follows the current metro-sexual trend that plagues lots of 20-something guys in many large American cities.

I've removed myself from circulation in general society, so trends don't concern me. I buy what I like, and I like what I buy. F-bodies still do it for me, because I don't care for a lot of electronics and technology in my performance cars. I like them to be basic, powerful, and aggressive in appearance and sound. If the general public finds them offensive, all the better.

In my garage, the LS1 F-bodies are the newest technology I own. They are like space ships compared to my SBC/TH350 Nova.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

I absolutely love my WS6 A4, I absolutely despise my M6 T/A. I always heard how great the T56 is and how horrible the A4 is. Then it turns out I've had FAR more problems out of the T56 than the A4. I wouldn't wish a T56 F-body on my worst enemy.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UCABlackChevy
I absolutely love my WS6 A4, I absolutely despise my M6 T/A. I always heard how great the T56 is and how horrible the A4 is. Then it turns out I've had FAR more problems out of the T56 than the A4. I wouldn't wish a T56 F-body on my worst enemy.
wow what all has gone wrong with it?
Old 10-21-2009, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Age may yave something to do with his problem, with my red car I had the same thing I almost sold it to buy a 97 M3 but didnt because it was slow and expensive. Then I almost traded it for a 96 Gran Sport, but changed my mind at the last minute. I almost wish now after my red car was wrecked I had bought a C5, but now they are all over the place here and f-bodies are getting harder to find.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I loved my 2000 382/N M6 Z28 and had addressed everything about it. Power, handling, stereo, etc. I loved that car.

Then the Corvette bug bit me...

I'd love to have another LS1 F-body as a driver, probably an A4 this time. They are the best bang-for-buck car since the 5.0 Mustang, but you have to be willing to compromise on little things like steering-feel and ride-quality.

350Z would never even cross my mind as a replacement. I'd get a G8 GT, or GTO before I went that route...
Old 10-21-2009, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Hell ya!!!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WSsick
do they really make it that much better? might have to look into these...
Night and day, especially if you like to take the car on twisty roads. Its 1000% more confident and so much easier to control at the limit.

you live pretty damn close. you ever go to any local car shows, meets, etc.?
I go to most of the local car shows like bier brothers, JJ's, ChuckABurger (when it was open) etc etc.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hate mine about 5 minutes everyday when it turns cold outside. We just got the 1st frost this week. You would know what I'm talking about too if you drove it one time!
You get in the car warm from the defrosters and your doing pretty good until you roll down the drivers window to check on oncoming traffic. Then this cold *** T-Top water comes running off the top and down your left side. Damn its cold! Other than that it's perfect and I would never sell my Camaro.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Night and day, especially if you like to take the car on twisty roads. Its 1000% more confident and so much easier to control at the limit.

I go to most of the local car shows like bier brothers, JJ's, ChuckABurger (when it was open) etc etc.
these might just be my next mod then. and this year was my first bier brothers, it was pretty damn cool. that one guy in the fox must have hated his tires, cuz those 20 second burnouts every 30 minutes destroyed them lol. hopefully ill see you and your car around.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It just means you need to upgrade parts.

Quick Reply: Does anyone hated his fbody someday ?