General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Which LSx Daily? GTO? C5? CTS-V?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which LSx Daily? GTO? C5? CTS-V?

Out of the 05-06 GTO, the 2000-2004ish C5 targa (I think the Z06 would kill me in insurance and I like the targa, but damn the z06's seem hardly more than 2k more than a regular C5), or the 04-05 CTS-V, which would you most like to have as a daily driver? I'm coming from a 2001 mustang Bullitt and it won't be a while til i can buy another car (stuck on my bicycle in college for now) but hopefully I can get into one of these by next fall. I think I want to stick with something newer than the Bullitt (01) as that was starting to have problems with the window motors before I sold it and I think 9 years old is too old at this point - do the C5's show their age? The GTO seems to be the best deal here as you can get a nice one cammed and often with heads and other substantial mods for 14-17k... the only problem being that they don't seem to handle well at all and I miss the razor sharp handling of my mazdaspeed protege - I'd like a little bit more of an all around car... The CTS-V would be ideal but its relatively expensive, doesnt look as good (stock), and I've heard a lot about the rear end... This leaves the C5 which is really good looking, handles well (right?) and gets the best mileage but it might be too small... any chance of fitting a 6'0 surfboard in the targa with the passenger seat folded down? As well, I probably only have 15-16k to spend but I'm thinking prices will continue to drop by next fall.

SPARKNOTES - Would you rather own a C5, a GTO, or a CTS-V as a daily driver?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

V, but dont expect to turn it into a race car without a lot of cash. the rear is known to fail but so is a stock 10 bolt in a camaro. the V will outhandle your Mazda and you can row through the gears with a decent amount of power. it has all the creature comforts standard(heated seats, leather, suede inserts, nav,watch movies on the nav screen etc.) but you will have to find a high mileage one for 15k. they are still in the low to mid 20s for one with 40k miles.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

CTS-V, but you are pushing it at that price range. GTO would be my second choice, but again, nicer ones are about 18-20K. You will either need to spend some more money or deal with a higher mileage car.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GTO. See sig.

Ryan
Old 11-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

if your going for ride comfort and space the v is first hands down then the gto for ride comfort the trunk is very small, then the c5
Old 11-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Teching In

i know you didnt list this but a loaded z28 or ss will go from 9-14 with low mileage. I purchased a 2002 z28, 6000miles, mint, for $12000. It had ported ls6 heads, cam, headers, full exhaust, springs, trail arm, 3.73 rear. Look around on forms, autotrader, and ebay for all the prices.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

CTS-v, vette, GTO in that order
Old 11-18-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He might find a V in his price range by next fall. Personally, I would get a Vette but I don't surf.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Ive had them all. As daily drivers it goes:
1st-GTO
2nd- CTSV
3rd- Vette

Then, Opposite for weekend drivers or car to love.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

I was in the same situation and chose the GTO.

I'm a 2 door guy (which along with cost ruled out the CTS-V) but had to have back seats to drag around my nephews (which ruled out the Vette).

I haven't had my nephews as much lately so I went ahead and installed a back seat delete kit in the GTO to lighten it up a bit. Even though I don't really need the backseats anymore I still don't regret buying the GTO over the Vette.

The stock GTO suspension is downright sloppy. After full suspension/poly bushings it is incredible.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

depends where you live. If you down south with nice weather, I would get a c5 targa or vert. Prices are coming down on c6's, you can find a good deal every now and then if your interested in them. Then i would go with the GTO; plenty of power, comfy seats, IRS, and overall its a decent car. Next would be the V; i would only get it for the 4 doors. Its more of a family car than a sports car. However, its probably the best overall DD car as it handle good in rain and snow, has trunk space, 4 doors, heated seats, nav, etc

My Vote = Corvette
Old 11-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

If you have a family CTS-V if not GTO!!
Old 11-19-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slayerized6
depends where you live. If you down south with nice weather, I would get a c5 targa or vert. Prices are coming down on c6's, you can find a good deal every now and then if your interested in them. Then i would go with the GTO; plenty of power, comfy seats, IRS, and overall its a decent car. Next would be the V; i would only get it for the 4 doors. Its more of a family car than a sports car. However, its probably the best overall DD car as it handle good in rain and snow, has trunk space, 4 doors, heated seats, nav, etc

My Vote = Corvette
Two things, the V might not be a vette, but i guarantee stock for stock the V will run circles around a stock GTO in the corners, and be damn close if not faster then a GTO on the street(V is def not a track car). And the V is RWD with a 6speed and a 400hp LS6, very very very far from good in the snow.

I like the vette if is plausible because it would get better gas mileage as a daily, and prolly be more fun to drive, all are not bad choices but they each have there own pros and cons.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i remember your posts on here around a year ago about buying an fbody, but you settled with a bullit instead... So i guess you werent happy with it...

With all those cars in your post will your dad still give you bs?

My pick would be an ls2 gto for a daily
Old 11-19-2009, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a gto and a corvette...

GTO is MUCH nicer.

C5 gets better mileage.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id say the Goat. Id have one if i could afford another car. Ive never driven a V or a C5 tho.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

CTS V was too much money for an older car.

Plus far worse interior on the Cadillac. It is immediatly evident that the GTOs interior is not american, which for me is a very very nice plus
Old 12-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
i remember your posts on here around a year ago about buying an fbody, but you settled with a bullit instead... So i guess you werent happy with it...

With all those cars in your post will your dad still give you bs?

My pick would be an ls2 gto for a daily
damnnn man, you have a good memory! It wasnt that I wasnt happy with it (although after the first 8 months it started to seem slow-ish) but that my parents refused to pay insurance on it to sit in the driveway when I went off to college. I'm a freshman at UF now and am just kinda cross-shopping different stuff for my next ride, hopefully sometime next fall (I'm a computer-chair racer hahaah). And as far as my dad goes, after owning the mazda and then the bullitt for 2 years total without a single ticket, I have a little more credibility to back up my claim that I'm a relatively responsible driver so he's letting me buy pretty much whatever. That and the fact that every now and again he calls from home and says "I just saw the most badass cammed GTO in the gas station" haha.

As of now I'm thinking the GTO would be my best option because it can be had with the least miles and highest year for the least money although I'm really allured by the Mazdaspeed3 even though I swore off the 4-cyl turbo route when I sold my mazdaspeed protege for the Bullitt a year and a half ago... My buddy has a regular 3 with nice wheels and a few bolt ons and its actually a really comfortable, practical car... I've driven the speed3 once for just a few minutes and it seemed about as quick as my slightly modded Bullitt and supposedly they wake up pretty well with bolt-ons...

I feel like I'll regret not going the GTO route if I go for an MS3 but something about how its more of a drivers car - as in you can heel and toe downshift (which I did constantly in the MSP but was unable to in the Bullitt due to the pedals), how it actually handles pretty well, will get decent mileage if you stay out of boost, and can hold surfboards easily / 5 people comfortably, not to mention looks good with nice wheels...

They're similarly priced and I'm guessing the insurance would probably be similar on both but I feel like the GTO is just kinda bland... I'd have to buy one with at least a cam and LT's to make it worth it to me. The MS3 could use a CAI and turboback exhaust and they pull pretty good from a roll but I must be crazy to be thinking about going back to a (albeit nice) ricer over a fairly modded GTO that could be had for roughly the same price (15-16k ish right?)

What do you guys think?
Old 12-02-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brad24
damnnn man, you have a good memory! It wasnt that I wasnt happy with it (although after the first 8 months it started to seem slow-ish) but that my parents refused to pay insurance on it to sit in the driveway when I went off to college. I'm a freshman at UF now and am just kinda cross-shopping different stuff for my next ride, hopefully sometime next fall (I'm a computer-chair racer hahaah). And as far as my dad goes, after owning the mazda and then the bullitt for 2 years total without a single ticket, I have a little more credibility to back up my claim that I'm a relatively responsible driver so he's letting me buy pretty much whatever. That and the fact that every now and again he calls from home and says "I just saw the most badass cammed GTO in the gas station" haha.

As of now I'm thinking the GTO would be my best option because it can be had with the least miles and highest year for the least money although I'm really allured by the Mazdaspeed3 even though I swore off the 4-cyl turbo route when I sold my mazdaspeed protege for the Bullitt a year and a half ago... My buddy has a regular 3 with nice wheels and a few bolt ons and its actually a really comfortable, practical car... I've driven the speed3 once for just a few minutes and it seemed about as quick as my slightly modded Bullitt and supposedly they wake up pretty well with bolt-ons...

I feel like I'll regret not going the GTO route if I go for an MS3 but something about how its more of a drivers car - as in you can heel and toe downshift (which I did constantly in the MSP but was unable to in the Bullitt due to the pedals), how it actually handles pretty well, will get decent mileage if you stay out of boost, and can hold surfboards easily / 5 people comfortably, not to mention looks good with nice wheels...

They're similarly priced and I'm guessing the insurance would probably be similar on both but I feel like the GTO is just kinda bland... I'd have to buy one with at least a cam and LT's to make it worth it to me. The MS3 could use a CAI and turboback exhaust and they pull pretty good from a roll but I must be crazy to be thinking about going back to a (albeit nice) ricer over a fairly modded GTO that could be had for roughly the same price (15-16k ish right?)

What do you guys think?
You are already in the right direction for wanting a domestic performance car over some bullshit 4 cyl rice burner. And a ls2 GTO is a very nice choice. I believe you could pick one up for 16-17 grand if not less. With a suspension drop and some nice deep dish 18 inch rims, that thing would look badass imo.
Just go to cardomain to get yourself an idea.

Since you have owned a mustang before, i would also suggest 03-04 Cobra. Even stock that thing is hella fun. But i think you have more chances of finding a gto than a cobra nowadays.

Just make your future goat a full bolt on ride and you wont even need a cam since you will be pushing nearly 400 at the wheels.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

go vette unless you need back seats, then gto