General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Something messed up

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Something messed up

So I was messing around with my friend to day and I hit the gas in a parking lot and there was a loud bang like I hit a pothole or something. Anyways something is rubbing now, it sounds like the tire rubbing but I look under there any saw nothing out of the ordinary. I jacked up the rear and spun the tires, once again nothing seemed wrong. When I am going about 20-30mph the car vibrates horribly, when I let off the gas it isn't bad anymore, and when I hit the gas sometimes there is a popping sound. Also when I push in the clutch it feels and sounds like the driveshaft is spinning crazily. It's like my driveshaft is about to fall out or something.

Anyone know what's wrong? It seems like it's the rear end or drive shaft, it's in that area. Maybe later I will jack up the car and get the tires moving and see if I can see anything.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a u joint. I'd start there.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also...
aftermarket torque arm on that 12 bolt? did you check the mounts like torque arm to rear and torque arm to tailshaft?
Old 11-25-2009, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Put the car up in the air and just start pushing and pulling on stuff. If something moves an excessive amount, that's probably your issue.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I tried to but my boss was yelling at me, I was on a food run at work. I guess tomorrow I will have to put it up on jack stands.

This use to be a race car so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a mounting part.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Its either a torque arm mount or tranny mount.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Torque Arm hitting the floor pan? My guess or u joint but I don't get the bang for that one.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 162 Likes on 114 Posts

It sounds like a u-joint. It happened to me and made similar noises. At the time I really didn't know any better and ended up breaking a u-joint doing a 45 in a roll race a with a 04 maxima on the highway, the car was making funny noises for a week like the ones you described and when that u-joint went. I dropped the driveshaft stripping the spider gears in the rear axle and blew the plate right off the axle. It was so embarrasing.

$1687 laters. I will do my own repairs and wont drive my car when its making funny noises.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

U joint is my guess. When tranny mounts go it bangs under the console not towards the back of the car. When a T/A mount breaks you usually trash the rear though maybe it could be loose especially if you have a Moser..... The T/A mount usually breaks at the front too....
Old 11-26-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where is the U Joint and Torque Arm? The U Joint has something to do with the drive shaft correct? I have never worked on this part of a car before. Anyone have any pictures of what I need to really be looking at?

Also I just made a couple videos and when I hit a bump or made a turn I could hear something hitting the floors or rear tub area of the car(t-top place).
Old 11-26-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

One on each end of the driveshaft. One behind the tranny and one in front of the rear. My guess is the one in front of the rear as that is the one to usually go first.....
Old 11-27-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also the while rear end is moving forward if that tells y'all anything
Old 11-27-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Also the while rear end is moving forward if that tells y'all anything
STOP! driving it until you find out what is wrong, If you drop the driveshaft from the front u-joint without a driveline saftey hoop the results will be seriously bad!! and just work from one component to the next - the torque arm would be my starting point it mounts from the back end of the tranny to the front of the diff. make sure it is securely mounted to both, then the trans mount look for cracking or splitting. Trans mounts can be tricky unless you completely remove the bottom mount (I once had one that looked fine until I removed the bottom mount and it fell apart in 2 pieces).
then the lower control arm mounts and bushings, and then theu-joints, drive shaft, yoke and driveshaft pinion mount.

Good luck
Old 11-27-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Moser t/a have a problem coming lose on the diff end. start there.....
Old 11-27-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It ended up being the torque arm. The top side was missing one bolt and the other bolt shredded the hole. The bottom bolt closest to the rear was starting to tear. We welded a piece of metal to the top hole to close it in and help hold it together and then we welded up the bottom hole, should be fine for now.

I don't know if it's my mind playing tricks on me or what but my car seems to handle and ride better now.. Anyways I am just glad to have my baby back.