General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Starting to get a pile of parts...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Starting to get a pile of parts...

Oh how I love the "pile of parts" method to modding! My ride has been down for a little over a month so that Strange can put my backing plates and reluctor rings on an S60!

In the middle of all that I've benefited from a sweet Summit Racing gift card, and a few sponsor sales here on tech.

Here's what I've got coming or already in the pile:

-Obviously an S60 - 35 Spline Truetrac, Chrome-moly yolk, "S" Cover, 4.10 gears. Purchase + Driveshaft from Eric at MWC.
-Koni SA 4/3 shocks from Mr. Sam Strano.
-UMI weld-in relocation brackets
-UMI Double-rod-ended panhard bar
-UMI shock tower brace
-Derale frame-rale cooler #13224 to use for a power steering cooler
-RevXtreme catch can from Byunspeed... when they restock

-A really dusty 32mm 1LE front swaybar that I've had for years but never put on... Its got the bushings already on it, what else do I need?

-Going to do the heater hose mod on the rear and drop the front Konis to the lower ride height.

Man I can't wait! Its going to be a freakin new car when I take her out again next. Goodbye noisy 10bolt, 137k DeCarbons, offset wheels (thanks oem phb ), boiling power steering fluid, oil in the intake, and... a nice place to lean my hands on when I'm working on the engine (because that's probably all the shock tower brace is good for ).

Old 12-03-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im a little jealous, not gonna lie lol.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

The anticipation is killing me! I hope that UPS has lots of things to hand over to me tomorrow... This is almost like being a kid on Christmas Eve.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha been doin a little holiday shopping for yourself huh?
Old 12-07-2009, 06:58 AM
TECH Addict

Its a combination of gift cards and rear end fixing money. I had budgeted like $3.5k to fix the rear so I had a lot left over after choosing an S60. Plus, it's real easy to get me to let go of some $ if its a) on sale, and b) the time to do it (since everything else is apart anyway). Once you get the wife stamp of approval then its wide open shopping.

"Well, you know babe, the shocks on that car have about 140k miles... and they're on sale..."

If we could only get t.j. maxx to stock Fbody parts then we'd all find it a lot easier to get that wife approved stamp
Old 12-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
Its a combination of gift cards and rear end fixing money. I had budgeted like $3.5k to fix the rear so I had a lot left over after choosing an S60. Plus, it's real easy to get me to let go of some $ if its a) on sale, and b) the time to do it (since everything else is apart anyway). Once you get the wife stamp of approval then its wide open shopping.

"Well, you know babe, the shocks on that car have about 140k miles... and they're on sale..."

If we could only get t.j. maxx to stock Fbody parts then we'd all find it a lot easier to get that wife approved stamp

WDK money Kurt! (wife don't know).
Old 12-07-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Well she probably just got tired of hearing me talk about getting a rear end since 2005. This was a good way to shut me up

BTW, the rear end showed up today and I got it all painted up. I chose a flat black with your standard krylon rust pait and regular ol' primer. I'll get some pics in the day time.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:05 AM
On The Tree

sorry had todo it,i would love to look in my closet and see a bunch of mods waiting to be put on
Old 12-08-2009, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, pile of parts is the best way to mod a car. The excitement will nearly kill you. The only real down fall is that you can't exactly pinpoint the change that each part made. For example, I'll be unable to comment on the effectiveness of my new panhard bar because I won't know if the change came from it or the koni shocks or the rear. See what I mean? But in the same token you get to benefit from a drastically different car that may or may not have had the same effect if you did one part a week.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Dana 60 huh? Sorry to hear that.

Good luck on the install of your new parts.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

Why don't you like the dana 60?
Old 12-10-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Here's a shot of it right before I shoe-horned it in. Low buck camera phone While taking the old sway bar off I broke the endlinks. No big deal since Advance Auto Parts had some new ones made by Moog with poly bushings for next to nothing. I also got Sam Strano's recommendation on how to adjust the shocks and I went ahead and slid the rear Koni's in. The Adj. PHB went in too. It's nice to finally have an equal amount of tire on each side instead of the wonderful OEM gap.

I've yet to do the front suspension stuff but I can't wait!

It's going to be so hard to keep my foot out of it for the first few hundred miles

Thanks again Eric at Midwest Chassis and Sam Strano. You guys are awesome!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

Nice!!!:d
Old 12-13-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sucks having all those parts lying around and not serving it's purpose yet?

Been there and still doing that, sometimes I forget what I have already bought.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

All I have left to do for the suspension is to finish putting in the front shocks, 1LE swaybar, and STB. I'll wait to do weld in the LCA brackets for later, and I'm going to put my powersteering cooler in when byunspeed sends me my catch can. I orderd that thing a few weeks ago and they still havent sent it. Infact, the only line of communication they sent to me about it was a reply to my email regarding an inquirey I made asking where it was. Maybe I pissed someone off when I told them that the stuff I orderd from summit was already here, but I detected a little bit of attitude. Ah heck, let me go get it...

Kurt Rardin wrote:
> Placed an order on Sunday and it is still processing. Order : 10156
>
> Is it backordered or what? I ordered some stuff from Summit on the
> same day and I've already received it.
>
> Thanks,
> Kurt Rardin
That is great for Summit. Unfortunately Summit does not carry the
product you purchased from us. It is an item that oversold during the
holidays and we're pushing them out as fast as we can. If you cannot
wait, let us know and we'll be more than happy to refund your purchase.
Thanks.
A think a simple "sorry, its on back order, we're trying to get them back in stock, but we appreciate your business?" Something about that reply just rubbed me the wrong way. In my experience in retail management I have nearly fired people for getting an attitude with customers. Maybe it was because the companies i worked for always wanted to continue doing business with people.