General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Too Much Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Much Cam?

Hey all,
Buddy of mine has an 01 T/A M6 with 110K that is just itching for a rebuild. Recently he came into some $$$ and were doing heads and cam. The cam he is looking at is a G5X3. The car is daily driven (mostly highway to and from college), has stock gears, few bolt ons but other than that is stock. He is concerned that the cam will be too radical for daily driving, especially in Michigan winters (with snow tires). The car is not in stop-and-go so much, so that isnt a concern. He is also considering long tubes (good choice IMO), and a cat-back Borla system, but he is worried it will be too loud/drone for freeway commuting. I have had experience with the Borla system and advised him to go with LT's and a true dual with x-pipe (possibly cutouts, but he is worried they will rust(I dont think so, but to each is his own)) and possiblly like a Flowmaster 50 series delta flow or a Sweet Thunder bullet, but any input on exhaust would be appreciated as well. THANKS!
Old 12-21-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

I personally have never heard of a cutout rusting out, many of my friends have them and DD there cars in chicago. So that shoudln't be a worry lol
Old 12-21-2009, 11:45 PM

Exactly what I said. A QTP stainless should have no problems, but he is more worried about the electric cutout motors seizing/etc. My idea is to put on the electric ones in the spring and then when snow falls just put the original plate back on to prevent the motors from seizing. Then just zip-tie the wiring out of the way and electric tape the connections, should be fine.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:56 AM
Teching In

If I just came into some money this is what I would do. Park that car for the winter and get a beater to drive. Heads and cam for a daily driver in MI is nuts and a waste of money IMO. After a couple of winters you will have a car that looks like crap and all the visual mods will look the same. Buy the beater and save some more money to do mods when you dont have to drive it everyday.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^smart guy...
Old 12-22-2009, 11:38 AM

Well he has driven it for 3 winters allready with snow tires and it does fine (trac. control and ABS help). The car is undercoated every year and he washes it at least 2-3 times a week in the winter. IDK why he does it, I personally have a 02 Sierra as my winter truck, but I guess he just cant afford it. After all, he only has about $1500 to work with, so it would be just enough money to do all the mods. A $1500 winter beater in Michigan would be full of rust anyways. Thanks for the input though. Any experience with that cam?
Old 12-22-2009, 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

I no that cam is big. I say a set of 4.10's are going to be helpful.But like said above, I'd rather spend the 1500 on a beater then, put all the miles on my car and having to drive it throw the winter. I drove my GTO this past winter and will not do it again.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

$1500 isn't enough for heads and a cam anyways, especially considering that he'll need headers and exhaust to go with it. If he insists on putting the money in his car his best bet would be to get some nice stainless LT's and TD's, lid, and maybe some minor suspension stuff. That should be most of his money right there so he won't even have to worry about cam size.