General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Test drove Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Test drove Camaro

I had to drive into town today for grocieries and drove by a chevy dealer. In their pre-owned section they had 2 new camaros. I havent really got to look at these things up close so I stopped in. I pulled up to a red one w/black stripes. Looking at a bit, a sales guy comes over. He starts rambling on about it. He knew very little as he said it had "300..uhh 402 horses." I didnt make fun of him, people can't know everything. It was 6 speed SS, but it had cloth seats.
It had just under 3400 miles on it. I told the guy I wasn't looking to buy, I just havent really got to look at one real close. Of course he says "no pressure", but if you'd like to drive it, I'll get the keys. I said no at first, but he kept asking if I wanted to drive, so I finally said yes. We take it out, and the first thing I notice on these cars is the clutch feel sucks. I mean it took me 3 times to pull out of the spot because I wasn't sure the transmission was actually working. It doesnt start pulling until waaayyy up in the travel. Maybe I'm just used to the trans am. It drove nice, but I never really got on it.
We got back and he wanted to know if I was curious on pricing. I said sure, so we went inside, but I let him know again. It just cause I was curious, not because I wanted to buy it.
We ran through the numbers, and man did they throw me off. They were asking 39,995 for the car. A little high, and I told him that. They wanted 899-909 a month for a 48 month term. Of course I said that was retarded. My credit is great, they knew that because they check it (of course). I told them I would only ever be interested if it was waayy lower than that. So, of course they send in their "expert" sales person. The first words out of his mouth are " you cant expect a 40k car for that payment". I corrected him and said "umm.. thats no 40k car" He said "what do you mean. Its never been titled, just as good as new" and so other blah blah ****. I know its been titled because the sales person had already told me it had been. So, again I said. "that is no 40k car, it's used". then, the dumbshit said "your right, its more like a 50k car" Thats when i stood up and told my wife, "lets get the **** out of here"
As we walked he said "we can get you a cobalt for that price". so I yelled back "keep talking mother ******". Then left them some nice black stripes in front of their building with the t/a. Its no wonder they were so pressured to sell cars. they have dumbshits working at that place
http://cronicchevroletcadillac.com/P...oryId=30173485
Old 01-23-2010, 04:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Haha! $40k is insane. A 1SS level Camaro (which it sounds like this was, since it had no leather) with a manual trans should be in the mid-$30k range tops....when NEW. It would take a real asswipe to pay $40k for a 1SS with 3400 miles on it.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I fckn hate car saleman..they seriously are like scum..expecially the ones that work at the little podunk used car dealerships..they try to tell you what "you should know" about a car. I got kicked out of a place one time cause I told the guy that he had a car with the Brakes not working and technically was unsafe..he looked at me and gave me the "you're one of them typical cocky smart *** military kids that thinks they know everything.." I told him "nope, I just know that you and your mechanic need to pull your head out of each other's *** and learn a few things.."

Ya he didn't like that..lol

No offense to anyone on here if you are a car saleman..I know there are several on here..but you know as well as I do there are a majority of them that are straight up some shady mother fckrs..
Old 01-23-2010, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love going car shopping even when I'm not interested, now that I am interested in buying a newcar its different still fun though.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

My friend just became a car salesman. It goes both ways for sure. This reminds me of the "what you hate the most about your job" thread on this forum: it's the people that make jobs suck.

My friend tells me (works at an Audi dealership) that people are offering 20k for brand new loaded A4's and what not. He says due to the economy that people are trying to get 50k luxury cars for 20k etc, and he clearly laughs at them and the customers get all mad.

I can thus see how this makes car salesmen act towards customers as they often do. It's a vicious cycle and people just feed off themselves and it gets worse and worse.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Being in the car business myself, I don't think that you were handled properly, especially if the "we can get you a cobalt for that price" is totally unprofessional. These are the types that give ALL of us a bad name and a lot of us having professional careers by doing this.

I for one, wouldn't even bother if you told me you're just looking and not interested. I would ask other questions to see where you're standing as far as shopping goes, this we call pre-qualifying, so the guy is a douche on that part too.

Having said that, a lot of customers get shocked at the prices of cars lately, and it's not the lots fault, a lot of the times it's just the simple math. Financing and CASH deals are totally different things simply due to the fact that the manufacturers offer different cash back rebates depending on how you want to purchase the cars. I get people looking at 20,000 dollar cars that want a payment of 200 dolalrs on 60 months without a penny down. Well guess what sir? That's $333 considering it is at 0%. No doubt in my mind that you can get that car for 650-750 per month with no money down!
Old 01-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Banned

well, if you look at the link, you can see the car. they are offering it for 36k internet price.

I'm not saying all sales people are bad. I have only had one good sales person in my life. That was in Texas and I was curious about the G8's. I stopped to look at one. They tossed me the keys and said take it out for a spin. Didnt even ask for my license or keys to my truck. Brought it back and he said. "when you want to talk about it, here's my card". That is truely no pressure sales.

Having said that, a lot of customers get shocked at the prices of cars lately, and it's not the lots fault, a lot of the times it's just the simple math. Financing and CASH deals are totally different things simply due to the fact that the manufacturers offer different cash back rebates depending on how you want to purchase the cars. I get people looking at 20,000 dollar cars that want a payment of 200 dolalrs on 60 months without a penny down. Well guess what sir? That's $333 considering it is at 0%. No doubt in my mind that you can get that car for 650-750 per month with no money down!
I understand what you are saying. I knew it was going to be pricey, but you wouldn't expect them to try and pass off a used car at new car prices.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

The biggest thing I love is the Dealer's so called "low interest" financing plan..the best they gave me on something I was looking at one time was 12%.. I almost died laughing.. my Credit Union had me approved for the Loan at a 3.9% in 10 min over the phone.

Just one of them things that make ya laugh a little..lol
Old 01-23-2010, 05:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
I understand what you are saying. I knew it was going to be pricey, but you wouldn't expect them to try and pass off a used car at new car prices.
That's not even new car prices though, a 1SS starts at $31k and a 2SS starts at $34k....brand new. If the one you drove has no leather, no RS package, no sunroof, and no automatic, it should be a $30k car TOPS....as it's used. If it was fully loaded, then I'd say mid-$30s is reasonable for 3400 miles.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Banned

just built the same exact car on chevys website. Came in under 34k!
Old 01-23-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Even though it's not a new Camaro, I was looking at 45k 02 SS they had for $14k (yeah, way overpriced). It had all sorts of paint dimples (shitty paint job), obnoxious rims, and a few other things that bothered me but I can't remember them. They were so firm on the 14k, and didn't like when I said 11k is a generous offer. Once I started showing the guy all the things wrong with it, they kicked us out. I told them "good luck selling the car for that price, I hope you find a moron soon."

It's been a month, and it's still there. Go figure.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
Even though it's not a new Camaro, I was looking at 45k 02 SS they had for $14k (yeah, way overpriced). It had all sorts of paint dimples (shitty paint job), obnoxious rims, and a few other things that bothered me but I can't remember them. They were so firm on the 14k, and didn't like when I said 11k is a generous offer. Once I started showing the guy all the things wrong with it, they kicked us out. I told them "good luck selling the car for that price, I hope you find a moron soon."

It's been a month, and it's still there. Go figure.

I have been through this exact thing with the dearlships.... I offered 4500 for a 99 Z28 that needed a new clutch and transmission that had 123k+ miles on it and they looked at me like I was trying to rape them... OH and it didn't have a stereo or speakers cloth interior and front seat was torn.....

They didn't sell it to me, instead they turned it into "cash for clunkers" and I'm guessing, they got their 4500 for it anyways....

I tried to save it though really I did.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by baalic
I have been through this exact thing with the dearlships.... I offered 4500 for a 99 Z28 that needed a new clutch and transmission that had 123k+ miles on it and they looked at me like I was trying to rape them... OH and it didn't have a stereo or speakers cloth interior and front seat was torn.....

They didn't sell it to me, instead they turned it into "cash for clunkers" and I'm guessing, they got their 4500 for it anyways....

I tried to save it though really I did.
Yeah, the manager of the place and I were going back and forth for about 10 minutes while my friend and the car salesman were watching. He was telling me I don't know what I'm talking about, and I'm telling him that the price he's asking is unrealistic and not even close to what the car should be worth. I told him to do some research on it and see what similar cars are going for.

I really don't get it, but ya see, if he found a better price, he could have sold the car and made money. That's what I don't understand about dealerships. They should be selling cars, not trying to rip people off.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went to check out an 06 GTO since I had never really seen one up close. Had the blue leather which I thought would be awful but it wasn't too bad, really roomy inside and the doors shut so smoothly, it was weird. The car had been sitting ever since I had been in highschool, and I am a junior now so I figured I would see how bad the price was. $28,000 with 7k miles... I started laughing and asked why. "It is a collectors item." I told him to give me $20,000 for my Trans Am as a trade in because it was a collector. Was a nice car, but not for $28,000 and bad gas. I would be afraid to drive it home with 3+ year old gas..

Anyways I have been to dealers a few times and I am surprised they take me seriously being 17. It's kinda cool actually.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

I bought a used Cobalt yesterday, went to the dealer drove it around the block and on the freeway. Came back looked everything over and said "ok lets do it" 2 hrs later it had a full tank of gas , cleaned up,and I was ready to roll. no hassel it was so easy I can't believe I waited so long to buy a car. I got a DD 07 Cobalt sedan 5spd with 57k for $7500 it has a 100k powertrain warranty. Works great for what I intended it for.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by the_merv
The biggest thing I love is the Dealer's so called "low interest" financing plan..the best they gave me on something I was looking at one time was 12%.. I almost died laughing.. my Credit Union had me approved for the Loan at a 3.9% in 10 min over the phone.

Just one of them things that make ya laugh a little..lol
I got a 3.9% rate on my truck. They also gave me an option of three or five years. Ya I was pretty happy with that. The dealer said it was the last day they were offering the financing.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:15 PM
Launching!

I went to a dealership that had a 2SS with RS package wanting 38k. Not nearly as outrageous, but asking sticker for a used car just seems outrageous when I can go next door and pick one up now that the supply is catching up to demand. He tried to tell me that it was fully optioned and stickered at 43k. I went on Chevy's website and couldn't even make a car worth 43k (without the 4k rims package which it didn't have). Not to mention that one didn't have all the options and the ******* was probably including the ADM in his sticker for it....
Old 01-23-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol new cars loss value so fast they will have a 20k car by time they decide it is time to drop price
Old 01-24-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Regular

Wow, here is a NEW one....

http://reading.craigslist.org/ctd/1563262708.html

better price that those people wanted....
Old 01-24-2010, 02:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by araber89
I got a 3.9% rate on my truck. They also gave me an option of three or five years. Ya I was pretty happy with that. The dealer said it was the last day they were offering the financing.
That's suprising.. I didn't get the vehicle I requested the Loan for..it was just one of them things just to see what I could get and compare.