General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

To fix or sell as is?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010 | 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Default To fix or sell as is?

So the WS.6 is just about to roll 95K. Well the day finally came and the 'ol T56 decided it had enough. I no longer have fourth gear and it won't stay in third. My problem is that I'm just ready to get something along the lines of a full size SUV or truck.

I know a simple re-build would fix it I just have a bad case of going a little bit further than I have to. If I got it re-built I would want something along the lines of a TickShift stage 2 or 3 rebuild and get the 3 and 4 gears replaced with new bearings all around.

Trying to get it out of fourth when it went ground the snot out of it and when it pops out of third it isn't pretty. Plus while the trans is out I would feel like I need to replace the clutch while I'm in there.

My problem is I don't want to put 3 large in a car that I'm not even positive that I am going to try and sell, but it I do I want to get something for it. Plus just buying a new house there are other things I need to devote my money to right now so there won't be any mods for a while plus I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the T/A isn't the most ergonomic vehicle GM has produced.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-03-2010 | 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

if everything else on the car is solid I would do an OEM rebuild with receipts and decide whether or not to sell the car. By your sig I see no reason to have a built up t-56 unless you plan on going race... in that case your going to need way more money than the car is worth to do so.... again this is owner preference. Im not going to say I havent put more money in a car than it is worth haha

again if the car is in good shape otherwise I would do an OE rebuild and it will do justice. buyers are going to hack you on a broken tranny so who is to say you wont get your money back if you fix it and sell it???
Old 02-03-2010 | 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well let me put it this way. I drive my GP in the winter and the TA sits in a warm shop waiting. My GP is a pretty nice car it drives nice its quiet gets good mpg's. Remote start so I never have to wait for heat. So comfy to drive. Even on a semi-nice day I find an excuse to get into the TA and go for a spin around the block. I can't stand not driving it. Guess what I am trying to say is that you WILL regret giving it up. Maybe not at first, but it will hit hard one day. Does for me.
Old 02-03-2010 | 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dskeet6
if everything else on the car is solid I would do an OEM rebuild with receipts and decide whether or not to sell the car. By your sig I see no reason to have a built up t-56 unless you plan on going race... in that case your going to need way more money than the car is worth to do so.... again this is owner preference. Im not going to say I havent put more money in a car than it is worth haha

again if the car is in good shape otherwise I would do an OE rebuild and it will do justice. buyers are going to hack you on a broken tranny so who is to say you wont get your money back if you fix it and sell it???
The car is solid and clean besides all of the normal DD wear. I just put on new water pump gaskets and new front(Vette) O2s. If I do decide to keep the car it will see road track time and I have a 402 stroker built on paper, but that will be on the back burner for a while longer.

I have no problem putting more money in it than it's worth. I don't think any one on here has that problem. It's frustrating not being able to mod it how I want to and I don't want to DD it into the ground so when I can mod it I would really but putting money into it. I would rather let it go and track down another one when the time is right. Or buy a Factory Five Cobra and build it my self
Old 02-03-2010 | 11:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Park the Trans Am while you consider your options. Buy a cheap DD (older used truck/SUV would be great). When you're settled with your finances at the new house, make a realistic plan of what you want your built to look like. If the car ends up being a H/C + bolt-on car, just do a stock rebuild of the trans and get a better clutch. If you really can swing a much more aggressive 402ci build, then do a trans upgrade and save some money for a better rear.

Doesn't matter how nice of a DD you buy, unless it's something like a CTS-V that offers all the power and V8/RWD experiance of an F-body or Corvette with all the luxury of a....well, Cadillac, then you'll miss the Trans Am.

A full-sized truck/SUV is a great addition to any garage, don't get me wrong I'd love to have one and probably soon will, but it's not going to fill the void of an F-body. You need to have both.
Old 02-04-2010 | 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

i have a CTS-V and am still kicking myself in the *** for selling the SS a couple years ago. It wasnt anything special but it was mine and i enjoyed it. Pesky little stuff that got annoying made me lose interest and id do anything to have it back. too bad the guy who bought it wound up parting it out for no apparent reason(nothing major at all i mean nothing)

ps i love the V and will never sell it either.
Old 02-04-2010 | 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

stick a good used trans in it then park it till you decide what to do
Old 02-04-2010 | 09:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FireChickenws6
The car is solid and clean besides all of the normal DD wear. I just put on new water pump gaskets and new front(Vette) O2s. If I do decide to keep the car it will see road track time and I have a 402 stroker built on paper, but that will be on the back burner for a while longer.

I have no problem putting more money in it than it's worth. I don't think any one on here has that problem. It's frustrating not being able to mod it how I want to and I don't want to DD it into the ground so when I can mod it I would really but putting money into it. I would rather let it go and track down another one when the time is right. Or buy a Factory Five Cobra and build it my self

just saying fixing the trans or finding a new one wont be a waste of money.... buyers are going to hack you on the sale with a dead tranny so putting in a trans that works will up the value of the car.... you could possibly get all your money back upon sale.... just my opinion

i say you should fix it
Old 02-04-2010 | 09:19 AM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

As a buyer, I'd probably just walk away from the car once I found the broken trans, unless you were selling it amazingly cheap.

When used car shopping, it's hard to beleive that the rest of the car was well maintained if the owner let something like this go. This might not be true at all, but to someone that doesn't know you, this would be the natural assumption.
Old 02-04-2010 | 09:23 AM

Why not a junkyard trans and call it "good enough"?
It just has to not complain, the future is up to fate
and the new owner.

People aren't likely to understand all the aftermarket
goodness and sure won't pay retail. All the average
buyer wants, is a feeling they won't be paying repair
bills right after they blew their wad on the new ride.
Old 02-04-2010 | 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

X 2 ^.

Especilly if your not going to keep it.
Old 02-04-2010 | 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Why not a junkyard trans and call it "good enough"?
Exactly. If you are planning on sell it, get one from a junkyard. I think thats going to be the only way that you will make any decent amount of money off of the sale. If you pay for the stage 2 or 3 rebuild you are putting an unnecessary amount of money into something you are just going to turn around and sell. Also, it is going to be very hard to sell a car that the new owner cannot just drive away in. You would have to sell it pretty cheap to get rid of it.

Just buy a used transmission, and be done with it. It will still be an unwanted expense, but it will gain you more than the other two options would.
Old 02-04-2010 | 11:56 PM
On The Tree

gonna have to agree with the general sentiments; grab a decent used trans. if you decide to sell the car, you'll have a much better chance of selling it at a decent price. a non-running car will limit your offers and increase the chance of low-ball offers

and if you keep it, you'll be able to enjoy it more with a working tranny
Old 02-08-2010 | 03:13 AM
Staging Lane

you can always post it for sale on here and see what happens, you dont have to sell it
Old 02-08-2010 | 03:51 AM
MASS seller approved
15 Year Member

i have a 2001 tahoe