General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Keeping car stock

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can always just do mods that can be changed back to stock. I havn't done anything to my cars (yet) that can't be returned to stock. I kinda wish I would have just bought a high mileage Z28 instead of my SS to just go crazy on, but it's nice having the reliability when I go on the Power Tour and other trips. I'm sure a mild H/C set-up is in the near future though...
Old 03-08-2010, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

to me, stock cars are awesome, really can't beat it.

i was lucky enough to find mine with 40300 miles on it in december 2008

Last edited by disc0monkey; 03-08-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My car had a lid, headers, and catback on it when I bought. With just 36k miles it ran great. Sometimes I wish I'd left it alone. The power it now makes isn't huge, but I really can't use it on the street anyway.

If it was a DD and my only car I could have probably left it alone.
If it were my DD and an automatic I would have definitely bought a stall converter.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If this car is your DD, then I say to leave it stock. Only thing I would do is upgraded shocks when the car needs it. Yes mods are fun and I like them, but it seems my car became less and less enjoyable as a DD with every mod. If modding a DD the one thing I would do differently would be to run the quietest exhaust setup I could. Running an ORY gets a little old at times.

If this is a nice weather car just to have some fun, then let the modding begin.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
if you're wanting us to say its rare to find a low mileage ect ect so you should keep it stock you should consider at the end of the day its just another mass produced fun sports car and will not be worth a fortune if you leave it alone

try some boltons and enjoy it...there is too much power that's easy to get to not go for it

lid, headers, dual exhaust, and tune at a minimum so that you not only get a strong runner but now it sounds like a muscle car which adds a lot to the fun of driving them
I think at the end of the day, a car like a 98-02 WS6 will not be just another car. There at some point will not be too many of them on the road (already starting to be the case) from being garage queens and wrote off. People can't go out and buy a new trans am right now and so that means in order to have the lastest bird available, you have to go out and ****** up a fourth gen. Believe me, people will do just that and they have. If you have a nice lower mileage stock (or light bolt on easily converted back to stock) T/A, it's going to be worth something to one of us "post mullets" someday. Hell I already want another one
Old 03-08-2010, 12:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by oddwraith
I think at the end of the day, a car like a 98-02 WS6 will not be just another car. There at some point will not be too many of them on the road (already starting to be the case) from being garage queens and wrote off. People can't go out and buy a new trans am right now and so that means in order to have the lastest bird available, you have to go out and ****** up a fourth gen. Believe me, people will do just that and they have. If you have a nice lower mileage stock (or light bolt on easily converted back to stock) T/A, it's going to be worth something to one of us "post mullets" someday. Hell I already want another one
WS6 Trans Ams are too common to be anything more special than a regular Trans Am when they are antiques (assuming same mileage/condition). Also, since they share the same engine and power potential, people won't pay massively high collector prices for a same-mileage WS6 over a base Trans Am in 30-40 years. People think of the old muscle cars, where the top trim level cars usually bring more money. A big part of that is due to special lagre displacement engines in those top trim level cars that weren't found in base level models. For example, a '70 Nova SS350 isn't worth significantly more than a '70 Nova 350ci non-SS (assuming same condition, etc.). On the other hand, a '70 Nova SS396/375hp is worth noticeably more than either of the other two Novas. Very little of that extra value is due to being an SS, mostly it's due to the very desireable 396ci/375hp engine. Since all the V8 F-bodies shared the same motor and power production, there is very little to make a WS6 stand out besides a hood.

A super low mileage/mint condition Firehawk, CETA, 30th T/A, 35th LE-SS, WS6 Formula, or highly SLP optioned SS will be the cars to collect. Your basic black/black WS6 T/A is more common than a white Formula and doesn't perform any better in stock form....thus you can forget about special collector value from owning one.

I made a HUGE mistake in 2000. I bought a WS6 T/A. I wish I could undo that and have bought a WS6 Formula that year; which was the final year those were produced.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 03-08-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Since the car is my DD, I will keep the mods to a minimum. Bilstein shocks, LCA's, PHR, SLP lid, PP TB, SFC's, done.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, my thoughts were completely stock, maybe cold air/cat back....MAYBE

Well, after this forum, I've been up and down a roller coaster....I thought about full bolt-ons, then stock, then almost stock (lid/catback), then full suspension, then head/cam/suspension (wanted a really really fast street machine, realized that would be hard to keep streetable without giving up something), to almost stock engine wise and a built suspension.

Now, I like my lid/P&P throttle body/LS6 intake manifold/Magnaflow CB/Frost tune idea, with my Koni 4/4's, Strano sways, and a PHB for suspension. All these, with brakes and a shifter, and maybe a few bushing replacements, and I'm done. I love having a quick car that corners well, and still drives great, with good gas mileage and reliability intact. I got this car for fun, not so I could brag about my ET (not that there's anything wrong with that) but so I could enjoy taking cross country trips or even just driving to work.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
If you think this is the only reason why someone would keep a car (mostly) stock, then you are ignorant.

Many of us here that have owned several highly modified cars of any make/model can tell you that there is a certain level of complication that goes with such a car. Sometimes, with some cars, at certain points in your life, you just don't want to deal with the potential hassles. Sometimes you get lucky; you do a full build and everything goes perfect and nothing breaks for many thousands of miles. Other times, you open a giant can of worms that never closes, and the car becomes nothing but a pain.

With a well maintained stock-to-bolt-on level car, it's almost worry free. There are times when this is very appealing.

+1 Here.

I've had my TA for just over 3 years. It's still stock except for the Skip Shift mod. It's great to just turn the key and drive. My biggest worry is getting it dusty from driving.

I don't miss modding. I have other interests now-a-days that take up my spare money and time.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shutout- I have a low mileage WS6 too, actually very similar mileage. I have been debating with this for a bit too and here's what I came up with.

There are many mods that you can do that will not take away from you being able to put it back to stock in no time. A lot of the mods that you can choose will only better the car and not really hurt value. For instance, brakes and suspension. You do these mods, you really think youre gonna regret them and want to put the car back to stock? No. Youre probably gonna love the car even more than before.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

i think even porting a tb effects the smoothness and mpg
Old 03-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

I daily drive my car and all my mods have been good for that with the following exceptions: SFC's (impact harshness), LT's (O2 sensor codes), and stall converter (feels loose sometimes). But the power increase and responsiveness make the LT's and converter well worth it. This is with about 43k with a converter and 25k with LT's.

All my other mods have enhanced the daily driving experience, not taken away from it. But I think doing a cam might be stepping over the line.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

I wanted to keep my car stock, and still don't want to do much to it. She's a pretty rare black/black 6 speed 2002 SS/SLP CME with all options minus the 12 CD changer, with only 29k on it now. It took me 6 months to find this car.

So far all I've done is bolt-ons, and I've kept all of the stock pieces just in case I ever want to go back. I'm considering custom suspension, headers, and possibly even a cam and turbo. I'll be keeping all of my stock parts when (if) I do this however.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

I thought the same thing about keeping it stock but some things had to change, primarily for appearance and handling. At 35K mi. I added the suspension mods. Also added an SLP bow tie grill and polished ZR1's. Aside from the SLP lid and Magnaflow exhaust engine is stock and will stay that way. Car now has 42K mi.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Striker
Shutout- I have a low mileage WS6 too, actually very similar mileage. I have been debating with this for a bit too and here's what I came up with.

There are many mods that you can do that will not take away from you being able to put it back to stock in no time. A lot of the mods that you can choose will only better the car and not really hurt value. For instance, brakes and suspension. You do these mods, you really think youre gonna regret them and want to put the car back to stock? No. Youre probably gonna love the car even more than before.
You make some very good points!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm mostly stock for 9 years since purchased new. It never bothers me, I love to drive it just the way it is.

Will it stay stock as long as I have it? I don't think or care about it.

I drive it between 5-7k miles a year and store it in the winter. I don't consider it a garage queen! I use it for the purpose I bought it for.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

i feel that fbodys are ment to be driven and driven hard. If you want something easy and relaxing to drive go out and get you a cobalt or an accord. i like to have my cars look bad ***. And if it looks bad *** then it sure as hell better run badass. And that means MODS. When your moms car can outrun your 10 yr old fbody its time for mods.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bud upgrade the suspension, brakes, add some nice quality stainless exhaust, a nice shifter to replace the sloppy stock one, maybe a SLP lid and a LS6 intake manifold and dont look back.

Get tired of it? Put it back to stock.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

striker has a good point...why cut off your stock STAINLESS exhaust system and spend money on a non stainless. hp or not thats a move you should really take a step back and think about.

LS6 intake and a new shifter if you dont have the hurst option.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Teching In

I've had my '01 Z28 for over a year now, got it bone stock with 40K on it, ordering my headers Friday, and more in the coming weeks.....FINALLY!

Intend on holding onto all the stock parts, just in case.